Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverup View Post
    aaahhhh think we should tell him????
    ...that the best-in class HTML5 Webkit-based Web browser will do maps.google.com just swell? Yeah, tell 'em.

Remember what Mike L said all those years ago: "The Web is not an app".

You don't NEED a "maps" app on a BB10 device.
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by ccbs View Post
    After the Apple maps blunder, BB really should know better and release something at least on par with Google maps. There will be no excuse since they have seen how Apple get scrutinized.
    They have released a functional mapping system. Do you know how much Google spends on its mapping programs gathering data etc.?
    CrackBerry Master

Which one of the former CEOs said the reporters were a bunch of morons. He was right.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark37724 View Post
    Is it ego that all phones must have a proprietary maps program? Wish that they would just licence Google maps and quite trying to build their own.
    Agreed. I don't see why there would be an issue from Google's end. They have no problem offering G Maps to Apple. Hopefully it'll be available in BB World very soon.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

I don't know why people expect transit directions on non-Google Maps apps. Google developed the GTFS (Google Transit Feed Specification) and nearly all major transit agencies use that spec so their data shows on Google Maps. Why would Google give that up to someone else? Mapquest and Bing don't have transit directions, so why would you expect BlackBerry/Apple Maps to have them?

I use transit directions a lot, so of course I will find a way to use Google Maps on BB10. But if I just want to know driving directions, I'm sure BlackBerry maps will be fine.
    CCR601, kbz1960 and zyben like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

That article is such bollocks, fair enough that it is worse than Google Maps, but unless it is horribly inaccurate then it is not worse than Apple Maps because the first requirement of a maps app is to provide accurate maps first, bells and whistles after that rather than the other way round.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

the title portrays blackberry maps as having MAJOR inaccuracies that effect if you get there or not

not having a yelp review is different
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by joe.miller View Post
    This is isn't a solution. The overwhelming majority of BlackBerry owners have no idea what sideloading is.
    I didn't say it was a solution. But I think sideloaded google maps app that works is better than sideloaded google maps app that doesn't.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I prefer navigon anyway
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    PIN
    Nope !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shlammed View Post
    I thought they developed apps with the help of Tom Tom or one of those companies?

this is disappointing to hear
    They're probably still working on it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827

Quote Originally Posted by ccbs View Post
    After the Apple maps blunder, BB really should know better and release something at least on par with Google maps. There will be no excuse since they have seen how Apple get scrutinized.
    Apple got scrutinized yes because they were not as robust as Googles offering, but moreso because they had major faults that would screw up directions entirely.

I cannot verify yet the BB10 maps offering but as long as they do not lead me to the death traps that Apples have suggest to me I think it'll be useable. Bells and whistles that comes from millions of dollars and years of mapping? No. But at least more usable then cr-Apple Maps.

Besides if Blackberry can get GoogleMaps onboard like Apple was able to then this becomes moot. So again this is just desperate face saving from the articles author.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ahhhh yes, Mom and Pop's Grill house - Reviews are wonderful - only choice cuts and great drink specials... MMMMmmmmmm...
    OHHHH!!!! And awesome! only 6.4km away - Great, and I think my girlfriend's place is on the way so I can pick her up! (but because I'm incompetent and can't remember where she lives, it's great that I can plug her address in my phone while still having it remember where we were headed in the first place)
    Sweeeeeetttt!!!!! Got my Girlfriend, and we're on our way to get food! I'm starving - I haven't eaten since breakfast!
    Strange, now I'm in way out in the desert - where is this place, seems like i've travelled way more than 6 km... man am I hungry, I feel like I may starve to death...
    6 days later...
    ... too bad about the girl friend, but she wasn't tender enough anyway... Yelp! indicates Mom and Pop's would have been better
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,322 Global Posts

Heck, if the new BBs run Google Maps without a hitch, who cares?
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work)
    CrackBerry Abuser

What ever happened to a map being just about getting you from point A to point B? I wasn't aware a map was supposed to have a Sat view or even info about the business I'm trying to find. Thats why its a "map"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,322 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by organized_mayhem View Post
    What ever happened to a map being just about getting you from point A to point B? I wasn't aware a map was supposed to have a Sat view or even info about the business I'm trying to find. Thats why its a "map"
    1980 called. They want you back.
    March of the Smartphones: Handspring Visor with Digital Link > Handspring Treo 600 > Sprint PPC 6700 > Palm Centro > Blackberry Tour 9630 > Blackberry Bold 9650 > Blackberry Torch 9850 > Palm Treo 755p > Blackberry Bold 9930 > iPhone 4s (issued by work)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts

Stupid question, but does google's web page for maps work on Z10? And if so, does Z10 provide geolocation to it?
    CrackBerry Addict

hmm..who to believe?
    BlackBerry Z10 review: Smartphone pioneer learns to go with flow - The Globe and Mail
    RIM has also built what turned out to be very functional photo filters and a weirdly good maps app (certainly better than that mess Apple built).
    Thanked by 4:
    BBPandy (01-31-2013),  Geeoff (02-01-2013),  lorax1284 (02-01-2013),  Tim-ANC (02-02-2013) 
    DuexNoir likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Honestly. I'm sure google will just port android app over to Z10. I mean why not? I have it working perfectly on the playbook. Heck, load OSMAND. It works awesome on the PB, and all the maps are free. And it has all services that you ever need.
    CrackBerry Genius

And if worse comes to worse, BB10 always has the ability to run offline GPS software. Let me see android and iPhones run that. Oh wait, they can't......ROFL
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by masterscarhead1 View Post
    And if worse comes to worse, BB10 always has the ability to run offline GPS software. Let me see android and iPhones run that. Oh wait, they can't......ROFL
    What? I'm confused as to what you are trying to convey. Android (at least) has options with regards to offline GPS functionality.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

A good gps (like garmin, tomtom, bmw idrive, etc) does not have sat view and restaurants etc (save for simple POI lookups but not always 100% chance you will find what you want). They get you where you need to go. Get you're addresses online to be certain, then plug them in. Navigation looks better bare bones with arrows, street names and roads, not trees and houses.
    CrackBerry Genius

iPhone doesn't. Android does, but not for free I believe, and is device based. Most of the time, Android devices lack stand-alone GPS. And, OSMAND on QNX is free.
    CrackBerry Addict

All I require are accurate directions and voice turn by turn by GPS. I never saw the need for 3D maps or any of the fancier set up, they don't get you there any faster. As far as I'm concerned the simpler the better, if I was to eyeball the screen while driving the information that I'm looking for better be where it's supposed to be and not hidden behind a beautifully rendered 3D tree. I currently run BB Maps and I don't see any reason to change.
    polytope and Geeoff like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

And it is less data consuming too...... Why in the world would I want to use a map that takes 100 mb in just a few navigations while bbmaps uses a few kb
    Thanked by:
    Jonesy1966 (01-31-2013) 
    bbquincar, info600 and FSeverino like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,854 Global Posts

So let me get this straight...

You want an APP that does all these things... how about THE INTERNET, which can do ALL OF THAT PLUS MORE.
    I dont understand how we are in 2013 and people need to be spoon fed things. use the GOOGLE MAPS WEBSITE... come on!
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast