Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Like Tree62Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts

Is the actual report listed anywhere? Not the media's spin, but the actual report?
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,935 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Is the actual report listed anywhere? Not the media's spin, but the actual report?
    look in fedbizopps.gov
    RFP should be there

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

They want iPhones in conjunction to existing iPads.

Had the PB been embraced, this would not have happened. Had RIM been healthy, this would not have happened. Had RIM reacted to Apple'e challenge, this would not have happened. The PB failed miserably in the government, this is the result.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-22-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (11-22-2012) 

Global Posts
    18,935 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by silversun10 View Post
    the market was right on the way down and now they are taking an advance on the success of BB10, the market has a lot more resources to evaluate a company than a government agency
    I am not contrasting which is right.
    I am discussing effective planning and risk mitigation.

Awarding a million dollar contract to RIM for communication services is risky at this point in time.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    I routinely use BB Traffic. I love the little DING "turn left in 25 feet" announcements....got me out of getting lost in the wilds of South Carolina....
    I don't use any kind on GPS when i'm traveling as my primary directions, i use mapquest.
    I usually print the route that i will be taking when i travel, i want to see where are going and have my GPS as a backup.
    To many people depend on GPS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by litig8or98 View Post
    I'm praying that this was meant as sarcasm, and you don't actually believe that someone in that position of authority would make a decision like this in order to get a free $500 phone.
    Seriously? You honestly believe this wouldn't happen?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #106  

Awarding a million dollar contract to RIM for communication services is risky at this point in time.
    Why is it risky? They already have multi million dollar contarcts with RIM already. We are speaking of a proven company. RIM has been around for a long time and they are not going anywere soon. If we were talking about a new company, with a new un proven product, with an un proven track record, it would be a different story.

Global Posts
    18,935 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Default [Article] BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues

Quote Originally Posted by neteng1000 View Post
    Why is it risky? They already have multi million dollar contarcts with RIM already. We are speaking of a proven company. RIM has been around for a long time and they are not going anywere soon. If we were talking about a new company, with a new un proven product, with an un proven track record, it would be a different story.
    In what company or agency has BB10 proven itself?
    How has RIM proven that it has met the requirements of the consumer?
    How has RIM proven that it can meet a challenger to its position of preeminence in an agile manner?
    What is RIM's track record of prompt delivery of a new release?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts

they are not going anywere soon. If we were talking about a new company, with a new un proven product, with an un proven track record, it would be a different story.
    Sadly, that has been one of the reasons why RIM has been dinged in some of these switches. There absolutely is fear over their longevity. While I personally think a lot of this is overblown media FUD given that they don't have an iota of debt to be seen, Apple often rates higher by virtue of having so much money that they could stop selling product and just simply live for years at this point.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

New, unproven OS (as a smartphone, we know it runs nuclear reactors and cars), and new unproven hardware. From a company with a shaky track record on new releases (Playbook) and applications.

So it is not unfair for any company or agency to look at all available alternatives.
    CrackBerry Addict

RIM is a new company...in the computer industry. They are now competing with the only two survivors of the 1970's - Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft will survive because they have a huge installed base and a boatload of money. Apple is becoming the standard.

This is the beginning of the Post PC Era. Consumers and Enterprise are now embracing the world of tablets and pocket computers (the smartphone tag will soon be obsolete). The lighter, solid state drives of the new Ultrabooks are now the new workhorses. The desktop computer is fading away and will only be used by professionals that need a huge screen. The mechanical hard drives in computers are now being dumped for flash drives, just as mechanical keyboards are fading.

Doesn't anyone else see this?

"Vision is the art to see things invisible."
    Jonathan Swift

Some things are just not as invisible as others.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJM626 View Post
    One would think that if they rode it out this long, they couldn't have waited an additional 2 months until BB 10 is released? All these people jumping ship this late in the game might wind up being sorry after Jan. I look at it this way "For every company, or agency or major corporation that drop BB in favor of another platform, a day or two later, I always read about companies purchasing BB"
    Just my two cents for whatever little it may be worth
    There are regular budget cycles, equipment replacement cycles, etc. that have their own time frames. Then there is the unexpected - we went through that 2 years ago when we had a core system that had been allowed to get too old start to fail erratically - it was replace within 3 months or go to an unacceptable level of risk.

RIM has to keep up - as do all vendors.

- R.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    I am not contrasting which is right.
    I am discussing effective planning and risk mitigation.

People - listen to qbn. It's not about "my phone" or "everyone's a hater" or "iSheep vs RIMpire" or "I'm sure it's going to work" or . It's about risk mitigation for large contracts. It's bidness.

- R.
    Thanked by 2:
    MADBRADNYC (11-22-2012),  qbnkelt (11-22-2012) 
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,146 Global Posts

It's not just about RIM. We constantly read of apps no longer supporting Blackberry. Has RIM proven this will change with BB10? qbn described a situation where she sent out a request for development to iOS, Android, Windows and Blackberry developers - and not a single Blackberry developer replied. Has RIM proven that 3rd party development resources will be available for BB10?

Only time will tell us whether this is PROVEN. Right now it's just marketing, opinion and hope. Not what you base a multi-million $, multi-year commitment on.

- R.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (11-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    It's bidness.
    Enough Said...
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Thanked by:
    Rooster99 (11-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

i like this kind of bidness for BB10 too:

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silversun10 View Post
    i like this kind of bidness for BB10 too:

Was going to write a comment , but decided just bite my lips.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345