Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Reliability was one of the main reasons our company switched from Blackberry to iPhone. They crash all the time. When people report they do a battery pull as soon as they wake up to keep their phone running.... that's a problem, because contrary to some people's opinion, battery pulls are a problem, not a fun packed feature full of adventure. Our company started the switch the day our CEO's Blackberry froze on him as he was about to answer an important phone call. A couple of months later, we were all iPhone.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    Aside from bricked 91xx's. Aside from network outages. Aside from spinning hourlgasses and app shortages, much of it comes down to this - uncertainty as to RIM's stability over the next 2+ years. BB10 is brand new. If it doesn't take off, RIM as we know it is gone. If you're a consumer, who cares? You toss your phone and buy an iPhone or Galaxy. If you're a systems manager or director and you have a decision to make for a multi-year/multi-million $ commitment and RIM goes, you lose your job or gain a HUGE black mark on your record - and worse, you let down the agency depending on you to exercise your best judgement. Vendor stability is a HUGE factor in any decision like that, and it should be. Personal bias and "I believe it will work" has no place in that kind of decision.

- R.
    DEAD right.
    BB10 is an absolute unknown. I offended loads when I said that in another thread, but the fact is that it is an unknown. No one can tell how it will be perceived. No one can tell if it will be enough to bring the stock back up. If it doesn't then RIM's best option is to pull out of the American stock market altogether or go back to a private company. These scenarios are all indicative of a wounded company attempting to regain relevancy. The federal government cannot afford to "trust" that BB10 will work, it has to find a viable solution. Android is riddled with security problems not because of the platform itself as much as because of how the OS is fragmented and how apps are nothing but wormholes. That leaves iOS and its "walled garden." With a solution that takes away the possibility of App Store, it offers the best solution.
    I want BB in the enterprise. Frankly my agency is divided. We geeks want BB, Contracting wants a viable platform. I'm straddling both, one foot in one and one in the other....and a canoe that is drifting out. An unenviable position.
    Enterprise cannot afford to trust in BB10. Their needs are a lot more pragmatic than that.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,462 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Reliability was one of the main reasons our company switched from Blackberry to iPhone. They crash all the time. When people report they do a battery pull as soon as they wake up to keep their phone running.... that's a problem, because contrary to some people's opinion, battery pulls are a problem, not a fun packed feature full of adventure. Our company started the switch the day our CEO's Blackberry froze on him as he was about to answer an important phone call. A couple of months later, we were all iPhone.
    And yet here you are, trolling away! Not that I disagree with you on the battery pull thing, but wondering why exactly you come here? You obviously don't like anything RIM related yet you post a lot.

The bigger question becomes what is "reliability"?

Is it a question of hardware malfunctions? Last survey I remember, both iPhones and BlackBerrys were at the top of the list. iPhone had higher reliability in terms of parts malfunctions but BlackBerrys smoked them on drop tests (where most damage occurred).

Is it a question of signal reliability? I actually have more issues with dropped calls and lost signals with my 4S than any BlackBerry I've ever had.

Is it a question of app stability or OS stability? iOS has it in terms of OS stability over BBOS, but I don't see a difference compared to PlayBook OS (ergo, BB10 should be solid too). Apps crash a fair bit on both for me.

Is it outage related? I think RIM gets a bad rap in this area. In the real world, the NOC is up and extremely reliable most of the time. Apple has plenty of outages themselves (do a search for 'iCloud outage' and 'mobile me problems' to see what I mean).

Is it battery life? 9900 aside, every BlackBerry I ever owned smoked the 4S I have on battery life by a huge margin. Even the 9900 (which I hated for that) generally beats my 4S by a small margin.

Would love to know what the criteria are.

Global Posts
    18,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by DuexNoir View Post
    There really is no such thing as "Autism games". Any therapeutic designs that deal with mental disabilities can be done with any game or activity, depending on the nature and degree of the autistic child. The creation of these so called autistic games is another commercial ploy. What would be better than these electronic games are activities where the child can interact with other individuals and not to a screen. This, I speak from personal experience with knowing someone with autism.

But that aside, I say that each OS platform has its strengths and weaknesses as well as its own unique attraction to different individuals. To each their own and leave it be.
    We can get into a discussion of autism, but it would be out of place here. There are games that by their very nature deal with certain symptoms and core cognitive challenges. Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with autism, since I have experienced it in my family, quite close to me.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    And yet here you are, trolling away! Not that I disagree with you on the battery pull thing, but wondering why exactly you come here? You obviously don't like anything RIM related yet you post a lot.

The bigger question becomes what is "reliability"?

Is it a question of hardware malfunctions? Last survey I remember, both iPhones and BlackBerrys were at the top of the list. iPhone had higher reliability in terms of parts malfunctions but BlackBerrys smoked them on drop tests (where most damage occurred).

Is it a question of signal reliability? I actually have more issues with dropped calls and lost signals with my 4S than any BlackBerry I've ever had.

Is it a question of app stability or OS stability? iOS has it in terms of OS stability over BBOS, but I don't see a difference compared to PlayBook OS (ergo, BB10 should be solid too). Apps crash a fair bit on both for me.

Is it outage related? I think RIM gets a bad rap in this area. In the real world, the NOC is up and extremely reliable most of the time. Apple has plenty of outages themselves (do a search for 'iCloud outage' and 'mobile me problems' to see what I mean).

Is it battery life? 9900 aside, every BlackBerry I ever owned smoked the 4S I have on battery life by a huge margin. Even the 9900 (which I hated for that) generally beats my 4S by a small margin.

Would love to know what the criteria are.
    Reliability, as you pointed out, takes many forms. A regular failure at any one of them or at multiple points, would make the the device unreliable. For example, does it matter whether it's the steering or the brakes in a car malfunction? Regardless of which, it's unreliable. For our company, the Blackberry freezing at inopportune times was sufficient enough to deem it unreliable, maybe for others, the criteria is different. For example, maybe for a company where it's users regularly drop their phones..... the iPhone wouldn't work for them.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    For kicks.
    CrackBerry Master

One would think that if they rode it out this long, they couldn't have waited an additional 2 months until BB 10 is released? All these people jumping ship this late in the game might wind up being sorry after Jan. I look at it this way "For every company, or agency or major corporation that drop BB in favor of another platform, a day or two later, I always read about companies purchasing BB"
    Just my two cents for whatever little it may be worth
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I wonder what the reliability issues are and how old the phones are.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'd bet they're several years old. Probably os5 if nit even older.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #84  

Default Re: [Article] BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Was this submitted as a public statement or as a notice to vendors of upcoming request for proposal through fedbizops? If so, it's a notification and invitation to vendor for bids, not a public statement as a news event. Merely an invitation and request for bids/proposals.
    I honestly haven't read it. I'm um....er....busy at the moment....
    I read somewhere that it was only an RFP which is manditory in the public sector x amount of years. The media spun it as it they had dropped it. Not susprised. I am certain that RIM has already gone and showed off the device to all of their top clients. They all know what is coming down the pipe. I find it hard to believe that they would bail 2 months away from launch. Makes no sense to me.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    That problem is almost non-existent with ny os6 and os7 devices. I maybe have to do a battery pull every few months on my 9800 and never on my 9900.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,587 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj1 View Post
    That problem is almost non-existent with ny os6 and os7 devices. I maybe have to do a battery pull every few months on my 9800 and never on my 9900.
    It may be non-existent for you.... but it's still a common problem if you look through the 9900/9930 forums. Please don't think your unique experiences are the same for everyone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

Non-existent battery pulls. They must be turned off.

Global Posts
    18,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by neteng1000 View Post
    I read somewhere that it was only an RFP which is manditory in the public sector x amount of years. The media spun it as it they had dropped it. Not susprised. I am certain that RIM has already gone and showed off the device to all of their top clients. They all know what is coming down the pipe. I find it hard to believe that they would bail 2 months away from launch. Makes no sense to me.
    An RFP is a request for proposal, which asks vendors to submit their solution. Fleet services run in two, three, or five year cycles.
    The announcement should be on fedbizops.
    You're focusing on BB10. They're likely focusung beyond.
    iMore Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Default [Article] BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues

Battery pulls are very often needed as a result of app incompatibility.
    If I try to use Tapatalk on my 9900 I often freeze, and I have to do a battery pull. If I use Google Latitude the phone crashes.
    Conversely, on our BES devices, battery pulls are rare. No apps allowed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #90  

Default Re: [Article] BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues

An RFP is a request for proposal, which asks vendors to submit their solution. Fleet services run in two, three, or five year cycles.
    The announcement should be on fedbizops.
    You're focusing on BB10. They're likely focusung beyond.
    Thanks I am well aware how the RFP process works. I work for a provider and am involved I'm multi million dollar contracts both private and public sec. Not quite sure your point. I am not American so don't know how ya'll do things there. Based on something I read, my understanding was that it went out for RFP and not that they had abandon the BB platform outright.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    330e6cee

Quote Originally Posted by neteng1000 View Post
    They can take their 400 hand sets and switch to the ever so "effective, reliable and stable communication capable" iPhone 5

BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues - Businessweek
    I have a hard time with this.....I have had 6 BB's and can't remember a time when my bb failed.......I'm thinking the iphone fanboys finally got to the boss.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The NTSB wants to go with iPhone? Seriously? As they attempt to exchange vital information regarding incidents, I really can't wait to see what auto-correct comes up with.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

I guess there weren't enough BlackBerry fanboys at the NTSC. Would have been a great conversation "boss, the next release, which is on new hardware and a new OS that we've never seen is going to be the BEST EVER".
    Banned

DEAD right.
    BB10 is an absolute unknown. I offended loads when I said that in another thread, but the fact is that it is an unknown. No one can tell how it will be perceived. No one can tell if it will be enough to bring the stock back up. If it doesn't then RIM's best option is to pull out of the American stock market altogether or go back to a private company. These scenarios are all indicative of a wounded company attempting to regain relevancy. The federal government cannot afford to "trust" that BB10 will work, it has to find a viable solution. Android is riddled with security problems not because of the platform itself as much as because of how the OS is fragmented and how apps are nothing but wormholes. That leaves iOS and its "walled garden." With a solution that takes away the possibility of App Store, it offers the best solution.
    I want BB in the enterprise. Frankly my agency is divided. We geeks want BB, Contracting wants a viable platform. I'm straddling both, one foot in one and one in the other....and a canoe that is drifting out. An unenviable position.
    Enterprise cannot afford to trust in BB10. Their needs are a lot more pragmatic than that.

What are you talking about? BlackBerry 10 platform have achieved Washington’s federal information processing standard, or FIPS, certification. Has ios or android achieved FIPS?
    Achieving FIPS 140-2 certification means that BlackBerry 10 is ready to meet the strict security requirements of government agencies and enterprises at launch but you are trying to make me believe that "enterprise cannot afford to trust BB10" . Is that what you are trying to tell us?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #95  

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    What are you talking about? BlackBerry 10 platform have achieved Washington’s federal information processing standard, or FIPS, certification. Has ios or android achieved FIPS?
    Achieving FIPS 140-2 certification means that BlackBerry 10 is ready to meet the strict security requirements of government agencies and enterprises at launch but you are trying to make me believe that "enterprise cannot afford to trust BB10" . Is that what you are trying to tell us?
    Valid point. Never thought of it that way. I sometimes wonder if the government and RIM partnered on this one to get approval ASAP in order to get the sets out to their people right away in order to shut them up. I'm sure they are getting a lot of pressure by people to switch over.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Adva_ View Post
    BB attitude at work.
    "X number of BB's being dropped, who cares?"
    "Who cares if X app is available on Android/IOS? BB is all about BBM and BB Browser."
    That attitude brought RIM from #1 to 3,4 or 5 or where ever they are right now.
    bbecause it's bbetter
    CrackBerry Master

whether it matters what the stock of RIM does regarding the purchase of Blackberry technology? No
    just take a look at Twinkies, the company goes down and somebody else will own the brand, the brand continues; General Motors, all they did was shake off their creditors in bankruptcy and they continue making cars.
    so it is media driven hype to consider what RIM's stock does, all that matters is does the technology work? if yes, somebody will own it, don't worry, be happy.
    and for the record RIM stock is up some 50% already since the low this summer and there is nothing stopping the rally till launch

Global Posts
    18,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by mrfreetruth View Post
    Yes. Specific Android models have in fact received FIPS certification and are in use.

I am quite familiar with FIPS. I was not referring to FIPS, I am referring to the very real fact that enterprise cannot trust BB10 to be RIM's saviour. Enterprise cannot set its plans for the next two to five years on the promise that a particular OS will save a company. THAT is what I'm talking about.
    iMore Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by silversun10 View Post
    whether it matters what the stock of RIM does regarding the purchase of Blackberry technology? No
    just take a look at Twinkies, the company goes down and somebody else will own the brand, the brand continues; General Motors, all they did was shake off their creditors in bankruptcy and they continue making cars.
    so it is media driven hype to consider what RIM's stock does, all that matters is does the technology work? if yes, somebody will own it, don't worry, be happy.
    and for the record RIM stock is up some 50% already since the low this summer and there is nothing stopping the rally till launch
    RIM stock is at a fraction of its heyday. Are you really trying to say that a recovery is under way? Whether it will recover or not, this is much too soon. Let BB10 launch, let's deal with two or three more quarters and see how it is received. THEN throw the confetti.

Government agencies do not hedge their bets on the possibility of a company turning around. Investments companies do.
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Master

RIM stock is at a fraction of its heyday. Are you really trying to say that a recovery is under way? Whether it will recover or not, this is much too soon. Let BB10 launch, let's deal with two or three more quarters and see how it is received. THEN throw the confetti.
    the market was right on the way down and now they are taking an advance on the success of BB10, the market has a lot more resources to evaluate a company than a government agency
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast