Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,659 Global Posts

During disasters, aren't BlackBerrys the best devices to get your messages through? That should count for reliability.

BlackBerry 10 can't come soon enough.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

Really? I think we just had a disaster up here in the Northeast. With virtually no cellular networks available, it really didn't matter what device you had.

Those days are gone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

We will probably never know what reliability issues the NTSB or other agencies had. We also will not know how many users had constant problems. 2? 20? 200?? For all we know, two top level directors finally got tired of their 8703 or Storm 2 (though, who could blame them?) and saw other peers using an iPhone (or a personal IPhone they used at home) and wanted their agency to go that way. Perhaps NTSB field employees worked better with a certain app that is only available on an iPhone. Who knows. Some people/agencies/corporations are more easily swayed than others.
    2ndHalfCor and MADBRADNYC like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Really? I think we just had a disaster up here in the Northeast. With virtually no cellular networks available, it really didn't matter what device you had.

Those days are gone.
    I actually have a home in the Rockaways. Right by the water near Rockaway Beach Boulevard. Lost almost everything.
    My BlackBerry 9900 worked flawlessly.

As a matter of fact, a local news station here (NY1) had John Schumo receiving his reports from the "in field" reporters providing him updates on his BlackBerry live on cable (Until that went out).
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

Sorry for you loss; the damage was unbelievable.

The only ones around here that worked were on Verizon. Even then it was hit and miss for the first few days as UPS's died and had to wait for power to be restored.
    AT&T and T-Mobile were in trouble.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thank You...
    I'm on Magenta.
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

Best of luck during the recovery....
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts

It sounds very unprofessional to state the blackberry devices fail at inappropriate times without giving figures, facts, or an internal study to back this up. Sounds like one or a few people's opinion. Since this was issued as a public statement all of the objective information backing the decision up should also be public.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry Master

do they switch for the imaps?
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,873 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    It sounds very unprofessional to state the blackberry devices fail at inappropriate times without giving figures, facts, or an internal study to back this up. Sounds like one or a few people's opinion. Since this was issued as a public statement all of the objective information backing the decision up should also be public.
    Was this submitted as a public statement or as a notice to vendors of upcoming request for proposal through fedbizops? If so, it's a notification and invitation to vendor for bids, not a public statement as a news event. Merely an invitation and request for bids/proposals.
    I honestly haven't read it. I'm um....er....busy at the moment....
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,873 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Those days are gone.
    Actually, BBM famously gets through when other messengers can't. In the Sandy aftermath, if any message was going to work, it would be BBM.
    Reasons are the size of the data packets (ridiculously small) and the fact that the messages continues to look for the opportunity beyond where the others stop trying.

I've experienced it with the DC quake, the derecho, and a few other situations where communications were down.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    iMore Ambassador
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Default [Article] BlackBerry Being Dropped by U.S. Agency Over Reliability Issues

Any phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery is just crap for field work. I cant see the iphone being superior for the NTSB.

iPhones have poor reliability. The screens crack all the time. Apple however has great customer service. You bring the broken Apple crap to the Apple store and you get service. Multiple times if need be since the iphone 4 was famous for glass cracks in the corner just appearing.

The iphone5 supposedly will suck less. The glass is supposedly better and they no longer have that glass on the back of the phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    I don't think they really care to make RIM supporters happy. They probably don't even care to announce it either. They made their choice. They are professional at their primary jobs, that's what counts.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,762 Global Posts

Watch them change their mind once BB10 comes out lol.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

@QBNKELT - absolutely. BBM would work if you had any sort of signal.
    We had nothing - no signal on either AT&T and T-Mobile - for four days... So whether or not BBM is the better transport was immaterial. With the hotspots working (thanks Verizon) everyone was online. This didn't compare to the quake (we had it up here too) or last year's ice storm.
    It really didn't matter what device you had. We had a mixture of every OS and a lot of devices. Doesn't do much if the towers aren't broadcasting
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post
    Any phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery is just crap for field work. I cant see the iphone being superior for the NTSB.
    Except people have worked around this problem by having battery pack accessories and battery charging units.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,069 Global Posts

Which did a superb job recharging all sorts of devices after Sandy.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

Maybe propaganda by Apple? Just talked to a guy presenting at a conference, and he says anything to do with US government that involves security is all Blackberry.
    If I'm posting from my laptop ...... it's only because the PlayBook's charging. TheBlackLabEdge.com

Global Posts
    18,873 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post

iPhones have poor reliability. The screens crack all the time. Apple however has great customer service. You bring the broken Apple crap to the Apple store and you get service. Multiple times if need be since the iphone 4 was famous for glass cracks in the corner just appearing.

The iphone5 supposedly will suck less. The glass is supposedly better and they no longer have that glass on the back of the phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    And yet, somehow, Apple customers are the most satisfied with their devices. Again. Go figure. They love their "Apple crap."

Press Release - 2012 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study and 2012 U.S. Wireless Traditional Mobile Phone Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402202,00.asp

http://www.informationweek.com/mobil...sati/232602740

There are more studies and surveys, but I figured three would work for now,
    iMore Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,873 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by kdeckels View Post
    Maybe propaganda by Apple? Just talked to a guy presenting at a conference, and he says anything to do with US government that involves security is all Blackberry.
    True. But, sadly, the U.S. government is moving away from BB.

No conspiracy here. Just the sad fact that RIM's stronghold, the secure community, is showing a hesitancy to remain with BB.

The blame is on RIM's failure to react, not on some perceived conspirancy.
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "games" nonsense has GOT to stop.

FACT:

My agency just sent out a request for information six months ago for mobile apps. They put the request through me and I saw they only were targeting iOS and Android. So I pushed back and added Blackberry and Windows because I did not want the contract to go through a protest.
    Guess who responded???? Developers for iOS and Android. Not one single solitary person responded with a Blackberry solution. NOT ONE SINGLE ONE.

This is a FACT in my agency. I saw the paperwork. I pushed back. And I gained NOTHING for the push back except lost time.

Fact is that more apps are developed for iOS and Android. And if a government agency sets out an RFI for mobile apps and the only platforms submitting responses are iOS and Android, well, who the h3ll gets the contract?!?!?!

As far as "games" only on iOS.....run this experiment.

Go to App World.
    Search Autism games.

Go to the App Store.
    Search Autism games.

Compare results.

Now tell parents of kids with autism that iOS is nothing more than Angry Birds.

jesusmaryandjoseph.....EDUCATE yourself before posting incorrect information.
    qbnkelt, I've always had a lot of respect for your posts even when we disagreed. I have even more for your latest rounds that have been injecting reality into these threads. You have a positive thing for BlackBerry but you obviously know your stuff, you're in a senior enough position to expound with authority, you're realistic, fair and professional.

So now that I've thoroughly buttered you up - given what you're seeing now, what's your assessment of RIMs chance of success over the immediate, short, medium and long terms? And what do you see shaping up acquisition vs independence, mass market vs niche, etc.?

TIA - R.

Global Posts
    18,873 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    qbnkelt, I've always had a lot of respect for your posts even when we disagreed. I have even more for your latest rounds that have been injecting reality into these threads. You have a positive thing for BlackBerry but you obviously know your stuff, you're in a senior enough position to expound with authority, you're realistic, fair and professional.

So now that I've thoroughly buttered you up - given what you're seeing now, what's your assessment of RIMs chance of success over the immediate, short, medium and long terms? And what do you see shaping up acquisition vs independence, mass market vs niche, etc.?

TIA - R.
    Thanks, love. True, you and I have disagreed, and there was one time when I went too far and I disappointed you. Remember that? I felt ashamed because you showed me that I had gone too far in my defending RIM. I pulled back when you held a mirror to my face, I remember that post.

Thank you for the kind words.

Honestly there will always be a sector in the U.S. government that will require BES and the kind of monitoring and accountability that BES and BB provide. No one is going to go and hand out Secteras to mid and lower level employees, not even seniors. So that means that BB will always have a place within the secure community. While iOS and Android will come in and become more prevalent, there will be a line that will remain BB.
    That said, there is a very palpable desire to move away from BB. I am very, very curious to find out how ICE will implement iOS. It will be the model for the rest of DHS. And when DHS goes en masse, other larger agencies will follow.
    It isn't just that the devices haven't got the apps. There is a very real concern that RIM will not survive. The secure agencies are nervous because there is a possibility they will need to find an alternative to BB. That influences decisions when it comes to acquisition packages....how viable is the company, will there be support, will there be another three day outage, will there be a new OS that is supposedly secure yet has a hole....
    Within the government, a small number of agencies will stick it out with RIM no matter what. They have to. Good Technologies, Lookout, and Iron Mountain don't give what BES gives. So the more stringent the need for data and infrastructure integrity, the more that BB will remain. But that level of security is not across all agencies of the government. There is no need, for example, to have the Smithsonian remain with BB if they can get support - and apps - that enhances user experience both within the enterprise and for the public.
    However, RIM has bet its future on the enterprise and the fact is that the enterprise is not going to keep it afloat. Consumers want apps. They are convinced they need them. And frankly, they're useful. RIM has not shown a history for being able to think on its feet.
    I honestly see RIM as a niche solution, within a very specific group within the government. They will not overtake Apple and Android in the near future, the consumer market will remain outside of their grasp. This worries because I am terrified of RIM not meeting its Q1 dates. Personally, my goose is cooked. Professionally, I am terrified of putting iOS behind my firewalls.
    I am not optimistic for RIM's preeminence in the government. Within certain agencies, yes. But for the most, no.

This is simply personal opinion based on near observations and trends within the federal government. I am no soothsayer. I just have to deal with what I see around me and frankly, it's not hopeful to keep RIM as the only solution behind government firewalls.
    iMore Ambassador
    Thanked by:
    Rooster99 (11-21-2012) 
    Rooster99 likes this.

Global Posts
    18,873 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

@QBNKELT - absolutely. BBM would work if you had any sort of signal.
    We had nothing - no signal on either AT&T and T-Mobile - for four days... So whether or not BBM is the better transport was immaterial. With the hotspots working (thanks Verizon) everyone was online. This didn't compare to the quake (we had it up here too) or last year's ice storm.
    It really didn't matter what device you had. We had a mixture of every OS and a lot of devices. Doesn't do much if the towers aren't broadcasting
    Yes, you're absolutely right. The NE was as ravaged by Sandy as New Orleans was ravaged by Katrina; the difference between the two was one of geographical reach.
    You're dead right. Sandy's destruction was catastrophic.
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,146 Global Posts

... And frankly, right now, aside from the unavailability of apps, RIM is a risky partner when it comes to a two year commitment. If BB10 doesn't take off, agencies need a communication partner that will deliver the services it needs....
    Aside from bricked 91xx's. Aside from network outages. Aside from spinning hourlgasses and app shortages, much of it comes down to this - uncertainty as to RIM's stability over the next 2+ years. BB10 is brand new. If it doesn't take off, RIM as we know it is gone. If you're a consumer, who cares? You toss your phone and buy an iPhone or Galaxy. If you're a systems manager or director and you have a decision to make for a multi-year/multi-million $ commitment and RIM goes, you lose your job or gain a HUGE black mark on your record - and worse, you let down the agency depending on you to exercise your best judgement. Vendor stability is a HUGE factor in any decision like that, and it should be. Personal bias and "I believe it will work" has no place in that kind of decision.

- R.
    Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (11-21-2012) 
    qbnkelt likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

As far as "games" only on iOS.....run this experiment.

Go to App World.
    Search Autism games.

Go to the App Store.
    Search Autism games.

Compare results.

Now tell parents of kids with autism that iOS is nothing more than Angry Birds.
    There really is no such thing as "Autism games". Any therapeutic designs that deal with mental disabilities can be done with any game or activity, depending on the nature and degree of the autistic child. The creation of these so called autistic games is another commercial ploy. What would be better than these electronic games are activities where the child can interact with other individuals and not to a screen. This, I speak from personal experience with knowing someone with autism.

But that aside, I say that each OS platform has its strengths and weaknesses as well as its own unique attraction to different individuals. To each their own and leave it be.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    scott.slater likes this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast