Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MADBRADNYC View Post
    Anyway, that's only my opinion.
    You can have yours, and I won't quote you and question you about it either.
    On the other hand, you seem to have no problem questioning the NTSB's opinion.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki Cydia View Post
    On the other hand, you seem to have no problem questioning the NTSB's opinion.
    And???....
    What do you care for???
    What does a government agency that supposedly deals in recovering and reporting facts regarding transportation safety have to do with a privately owned online "discussion" forum that primarily deals with opinions?
    You did not see me quote you or anyone else to debate their opinions on this matter.

I guess you never have any opinion on any government agencies.

Not why officials have guaranteed retirement and medical benefits even when the people they supposedly serve do not.
    Not why they spend your money to go to war or with whom.
    Not why you pay more taxes that some rich guy behind a desk off-shoring jobs to China.
    Not how they spend your tax money to test the flammable content of methane produced by pigs.

I'm not debating any of the above.
    The examples presented are to show that citizens always have some disagreement with government decisions.
    You know what, I think I've earned that right to criticize as an American.
    It's obvious that you popped up in here, getting in other members business, to start trouble.
    Mind your business. Don't start none, won't be none....
    Take it to PM if ya got a problem.
    Otherwise... Shut your pie hole and let the "discussions" of "opinions" continue without your silly nonsensical quips...

Begone
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Who cares about The National Transportation Safety Board 400 people switching to Iphone.The reality is that the US government are making decision on whats hot now, and employees want phones so they can play games on there phones while doing nothing at work.
    If i was RIM , when these US governmet wanted to return to RIM my respond would be,not interested use "effective, reliable and stable communication capable" iPhone 5.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

They are probably using on ATT, need I say more? Anyway, a dropped called cannot be blamed on RIM, it must be the cause of the cellular company.
    Michaelaw (The Practical BBQ'r!)

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "games" nonsense has GOT to stop.

FACT:

My agency just sent out a request for information six months ago for mobile apps. They put the request through me and I saw they only were targeting iOS and Android. So I pushed back and added Blackberry and Windows because I did not want the contract to go through a protest.
    Guess who responded???? Developers for iOS and Android. Not one single solitary person responded with a Blackberry solution. NOT ONE SINGLE ONE.

This is a FACT in my agency. I saw the paperwork. I pushed back. And I gained NOTHING for the push back except lost time.

Fact is that more apps are developed for iOS and Android. And if a government agency sets out an RFI for mobile apps and the only platforms submitting responses are iOS and Android, well, who the h3ll gets the contract?!?!?!

As far as "games" only on iOS.....run this experiment.

Go to App World.
    Search Autism games.

Go to the App Store.
    Search Autism games.

Compare results.

Now tell parents of kids with autism that iOS is nothing more than Angry Birds.

jesusmaryandjoseph.....EDUCATE yourself before posting incorrect information.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 11-21-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    Thanked by:
    GingerSnapsBack (11-26-2012) 
    GingerSnapsBack and notfanboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    They are probably using on ATT, need I say more? Anyway, a dropped called cannot be blamed on RIM, it must be the cause of the cellular company.
    Irrelevant.

Coverage determines whether a call is dropped or not.
    I carry Verizon and AT&T. There are locations where Verizon drops before AT&T. There are locations where AT&T drops before Verizon. I have experienced this myself with both platforms. I know where the tower jump is not made on each device.

There are areas where coverage for AT&T kills Verizon. Example: try going to a cabin in Sleepy Creek in West Virginia. I cannot get coverage there with Verizon. I can with AT&T. Additionally, on the banks of the Shenandoah I can get coverage through AT&T but not with Verizon.

Before anyone casts aspersions on West Virginia, remember that it is commuting distance to DC and many people have second properties and/or mountain cabins there.

I have found no truth to the "AT&T sucks" myth. It depends on your location.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    homer1475 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My PB broke within the year with only normal usage... The poorly designed micro usb port broke and apparently I am not alone.

It is quite possible there are reliability issues with the phones. Why does everyone think the NTSB is lying?

And RIM should care. They sell a lot of phones in countries that make basically no money. It's like the TTC up here in Toronto that has record ridership numbers and record losses at the same time.
    CrackBerry Genius

Never understand why people expect a market to stay the same.... many organizations will change to different technologies over time. As better comes out... change happens..... whether is RIM Apple Android WP8 or whatever what fits the bill for whatever reason will win the day.... As for the article... if the agency was changing from 400 Iphones to Android.... do you really think the article would have been writiten at all????? I think not....

Quote Originally Posted by bk1022 View Post
    My PB broke within the year with only normal usage... The poorly designed micro usb port broke and apparently I am not alone.

It is quite possible there are reliability issues with the phones. Why does everyone think the NTSB is lying?

And RIM should care. They sell a lot of phones in countries that make basically no money. It's like the TTC up here in Toronto that has record ridership numbers and record losses at the same time.
    Run through the 99xx forums and look for the issues that people were having with 99xx devices at launch. While there have been less reports of bricked 99xx devices recently, I *know* for a fact that they did nuke and brick. I had *TWO* 9930s brick. My 9810 bricked.

An agency will not tolerate devices bricking. They will move on.

To the people who question why NTSA would change to iOS, run through the iOS forums and find out how many iPhones brick or nuke.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts

@qbnkelt - you have been one of the most articulate defenders of BlackBerrys for years. While others have simply bashed anyone who DARED consider another device, you have taken the time to compare and contrast the different devices so that people can determine what works best for them.

It isn't important what device the NTSB is switching to - it just makes news here because the enthusiasts have a primal need to point out every article as being negative to RIM. This is simple a fact; a government agency is switching. Deal with it.

I am having enough trouble getting our company to even consider BB 10/BES 10. And if they decide to drop BBs, then (eventually) that will be 2500 devices. There used to be 5000 BBs, but, well, people made up their minds to change to other devices.

RIM cares. They know. But they have to be totally focused on getting BB 10 devices out on schedule and let the devices start to sell themselves.
    Thanked by 3:
    GingerSnapsBack (11-26-2012),  qbnkelt (11-21-2012),  Rooster99 (11-21-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    @qbnkelt - you have been one of the most articulate defenders of BlackBerrys for years. While others have simply bashed anyone who DARED consider another device, you have taken the time to compare and contrast the different devices so that people can determine what works best for them.

It isn't important what device the NTSB is switching to - it just makes news here because the enthusiasts have a primal need to point out every article as being negative to RIM. This is simple a fact; a government agency is switching. Deal with it.

I am having enough trouble getting our company to even consider BB 10/BES 10. And if they decide to drop BBs, then (eventually) that will be 2500 devices. There used to be 5000 BBs, but, well, people made up their minds to change to other devices.

RIM cares. They know. But they have to be totally focused on getting BB 10 devices out on schedule and let the devices start to sell themselves.
    THANK YOU for remembering that. I have bought every BB I can get my hands on. I lost loads of credibility with the Playbook pilot I proposed and managed at work just before Dignleberry and it cost me a hefty price. I put the brakes on TWO different attempts to submit RFIs for other platforms in my agency, not because of personal preference for BB, but because my job is to maintain the integrity of my firewalls, infrastructure, and agency data.

But I am not blindly assuming that every agency that goes away from BB hasn't got a reason. Trust me, to move away from BB is a costly endevour. In all manner of ways.

This is NOT about playing games. That infuriates me. It's the fact that agencies NEED to conduct business and move ahead. And if a company doesn't provide what they need, they more on. Agencies can't sit around playing homage to RIM. They need to conduct business. And frankly, right now, aside from the unavailability of apps, RIM is a risky partner when it comes to a two year commitment. If BB10 doesn't take off, agencies need a communication partner that will deliver the services it needs.

For all the people still paying tribute to past management of RIM, remember that it was their lack of vision and their slow as molasses reaction that got them to this place. NTSA didn't do it. ICE didn't do it. The Pentagon didn't do it. NASA didn't do it. NOAA didn't do it. RIM got itself in this situation.

I've managed to get my agency to wait. But come March, they will move. And if they don't release or if there is another vulnerability similar to Dingleberry, I will be the one with the head on the block. Not for any misguided personal so called loyalty to RIM, but because I tried to keep my agency firewalls and infrastructure intact with a company that will have let me down.
    Thanked by 3:
    GingerSnapsBack (11-26-2012),  pillswoj (11-22-2012),  Rooster99 (11-21-2012) 
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onvisa View Post
    Who cares about The National Transportation Safety Board 400 people switching to Iphone.The reality is that the US government are making decision on whats hot now, and employees want phones so they can play games on there phones while doing nothing at work.
    If i was RIM , when these US governmet wanted to return to RIM my respond would be,not interested use "effective, reliable and stable communication capable" iPhone 5.
    Really? LOL.
    scalemaster34 and qbnkelt like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts

Personal loyalty does not translate into Corporate or Government/Agency loyalty. Let's not lose sight of that.
    While I have no doubt that BB 10 will be a competitive device, a lot depends on pricing and support costs. For an individual that may not matter (hence a thread on buying BB 10 devices off contract when no one has a clue what the pricing is) it certainly does matter for any IT department on a budget. And 2013 budgets are likely already complete, so I hope they had money in there for new devices and BES 10 servers. RIM isn't making it easy, and corporations have no loyalty.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts

MadBradNYC > google " taurus hamilton frank perla" . Lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by MADBRADNYC View Post
    Ummm, Lulz..........
    CrackBerry Genius

And while in the article they state that their were reliability issues, and in truth there have been. Remember an Agency like the NSTB didn't just make this decision, it might have started last year when they couldn't reach their field tech/agents. I image that got them looking at OTHER alternatives, which in turn got them looking at what different platforms offered and how they could be utilized.

The NSTB is an agency that has a number of bureaucrats like any agency, but they also have a number of very smart engineers and people with a lot of technical expertise. I imagine that one of the main reason they changed is that there are TOOLS available on other platform that are not CURRENTLY available to BB users.

If BB10 is successful, then two or three years from now the NSTB might look at returning to BB...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TomJasper View Post
    MadBradNYC > google " taurus hamilton frank perla" . Lulz
    Again... Llluuulllzzz.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

Working in the industry I will bet few of you have any idea how incredibly complex many cellphones have become. Tons of code can get executed just for merely plugging in headphones. The consequence of this is that as lines-of-code grown linearly, complexity grows exponentially. And the necessary amount of testing skyrockets, and the time and budget for testing becomes way more than what it takes to profitably make an honest device. Honest in the sense that it can actually do what a company claims. So 98% of the time, lots of problems go out the door. If you don't believe me, pick any carrier, any phone (excepting some feature phones), and tell me how many reviews you read before you see "it freezes" or "it crashes" or "the battery lasts four hours". The way our markets work, it is always going to be a race to the bottom. I have had the chance to use a lot of phones, and all of the smartphones freeze. Just saying, I would like to see an organization deploy any smart phone and tell me they have none of these issues.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by center77 View Post
    Working in the industry I will bet few of you have any idea how incredibly complex many cellphones have become. Tons of code can get executed just for merely plugging in headphones. The consequence of this is that as lines-of-code grown linearly, complexity grows exponentially. And the necessary amount of testing skyrockets, and the time and budget for testing becomes way more than what it takes to profitably make an honest device. Honest in the sense that it can actually do what a company claims. So 98% of the time, lots of problems go out the door. If you don't believe me, pick any carrier, any phone (excepting some feature phones), and tell me how many reviews you read before you see "it freezes" or "it crashes" or "the battery lasts four hours". The way our markets work, it is always going to be a race to the bottom. I have had the chance to use a lot of phones, and all of the smartphones freeze. Just saying, I would like to see an organization deploy any smart phone and tell me they have none of these issues.
    Iphone 5 or 6 or ...........
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    I imagine that one of the main reason they changed is that there are TOOLS available on other platform that are not CURRENTLY available to BB users.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Fact is that more apps are developed for iOS and Android. And if a government agency sets out an RFI for mobile apps and the only platforms submitting responses are iOS and Android, well, who the h3ll gets the contract?!?!?!
    I agree with this...
    They simply wanted iPhones. Period.

There were no specifics provided on the "reliability" statement, or what devices that were being used to make that statement.
    My belief is that they are "saying" that because they simply want iPhones.

They may want certain diagram, conversion tools, or CAD applications to be available for them.
    These may not be available for them on the BlackBerry platform.
    There may be an ease of use factor that they want to present to their employees.
    If they are using keyboard devices they may simply want a bigger screen for transportation research documents.

But, I personally don't buy the "reliability" argument when it comes to communications.
    Things get spotty for every carrier/device depending on location.
    However, I do not think this is happening in every location. At all.
    I believe they simply wanted change....

Global Posts
    30,870 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I don't think it was that they simply wanted iphone, I think that was PART of the problem. I think the other issue is that their BBs are old and stale to them, and they are tired of waiting on a promise. I don't necessarily blame them for this. Me I'm gonna wait, but I DO understand folks who have "cut and run" or are thinking about it! I have said this in other threads it's time for RIM to step up, and I BELIEVE they will do this, but we HAVE been burned before.
    MADBRADNYC and kbz1960 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yep. That's what I'm basically saying...
    I just don't buy the reliability argument.
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Reliability issues can be said for any device, be it BB, iPhone or Android. The one thing that made me skeptical about this article is the lack of facts to support their "reliability issues" statement, such as what BB model and OS were they using? What was the reliability issue or issues?

and also...for a transportation agency...I hope they are not planning on using the Apple map app.
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think maybe the industry needs a lesson in cohesion then.

Look, there was a time when BB was great and you couldn't break them with a hammer.

According to RIM I broke my PB with a usb cable. So things have changed. If one government agency can move beyond RIM -- and those contracts are bread and butter profits -- then the rest will and RIM has no lonv term viability even if BB10 is moderately successful.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuexNoir View Post
    Reliability issues can be said for any device, be it BB, iPhone or Android. The one thing that made me skeptical about this article is the lack of facts to support their "reliability issues" statement, such as what BB model and OS were they using? What was the reliability issue or issues?

and also...for a transportation agency...I hope they are not planning on using the Apple map app.
    Serious question: do pre-QNX versions of BBOS have stock voice mapping software?

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Serious question: do pre-QNX versions of BBOS have stock voice mapping software?
    I routinely use BB Traffic. I love the little DING "turn left in 25 feet" announcements....got me out of getting lost in the wilds of South Carolina....
    Thanked by:
    Tre Lawrence (11-21-2012) 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast