Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Another Bias Article on BB10

I just wanted to share another article that is very negative and bias by CNET's Ben Parr which I am pretty shocked about since I actually don't mind the site and also Robert Cheng of the site has played with the BB10 hardware and said he was impressed. Here is the link: No matter which way you slice it, RIM is still toast | The Social Analyst - CNET News
    What makes this even worse to me is that he does it just as people are started to change their mind about BB10 and Rim.

Well let me know what you feel about this article by posting a comment below.
    BB10 Believe!
    CrackBerry Addict

meh idc what these losers write in their ******** articles
    Thanked by:
    danimalchil (11-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,931 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C4F9

When did "bias" become an adjective? I just can't keep up.

I love this assertion from the article: "Hype also seems to be building around the BlackBerry 10, though its status as a relic really hasn't changed in the tech industry." The antecedent of "its" can only be BB10, so calling it a relic two months before release is some pretty fancy time-warping.

The most polished bit of, um, nonsense is the final couplet: "But does anybody really think that it's going to regain its former glory, especially in the face of Apple and Google, whose R&D operations are leagues above RIM's?
    I hope not. RIM is toast. It's only a question of how long it takes." The presupposition is that unless BB resumes the position it had before there were iPhones and Androids, it's "toast."

BB10 could theoretically lure tens of millions of people away from iPhone and Android and still be number 3, and yet be making barrels of money.

I'll have some of that toast.
    Thanked by 6:
    Cesare21 (11-25-2012),  Geeoff (11-27-2012),  peter9477 (11-24-2012),  Plazmic Flame (11-25-2012),  spike12 (11-24-2012),  zyben (11-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Let them rip him a new one in the Comments section.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
    When did "bias" become an adjective? I just can't keep up..
    About the same time 'than' was purged from the language to be replaced by 'then' in all cases. Oh, and same fate for 'loser' to be forever replaced by 'looser'.

I'm sure their/there/they're are other examples out there/their/they're if your/you're willing to look for them.
    Thanked by 2:
    gomad235 (11-24-2012) 
    andy957, PJD642 and Cesare21 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
    When did "bias" become an adjective? I just can't keep up.

I love this assertion from the article: "Hype also seems to be building around the BlackBerry 10, though its status as a relic really hasn't changed in the tech industry." The antecedent of "its" can only be BB10, so calling it a relic two months before release is some pretty fancy time-warping.

The most polished bit of, um, nonsense is the final couplet: "But does anybody really think that it's going to regain its former glory, especially in the face of Apple and Google, whose R&D operations are leagues above RIM's?
    I hope not. RIM is toast. It's only a question of how long it takes." The presupposition is that unless BB resumes the position it had before there were iPhones and Androids, it's "toast."

BB10 could theoretically lure tens of millions of people away from iPhone and Android and still be number 3, and yet be making barrels of money.

I'll have some of that toast.
    I think the OP meant to say "biased", in which case it is an adjective in the form of a past participle.

Here's another bit of "toast" from that article.

"But does anybody really think that it's going to regain its former glory, especially in the face of Apple and Google, whose R&D operations are leagues above RIM's?

I hope not. RIM is toast. It's only a question of how long it takes."

Why would you "hope" someone is wrong in their belief that BB10 and therefore RIM can succeed and regain its former glory? Did a past successful RIM slap this guy's momma or something? As as general comsumer, you'd hope they hit the market with something amazing and succeeds greatly. All consumers benefit from that. As far as the stock, it's not like someone is getting in while it's at $50 and stands to lose a crap load of money on the long way down. It's still trading below accounting book value and barely near tangible book.

This piece was obviosuly not written to be taken seriously.
    Masahiro and zyben like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I can not believe I wasted my time reading that article!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,546 Global Posts

MEH - someone probably video recorded him in some compromising position with a goat or chipmunk with a BlackBerry and he's got a chip on his shoulder.

Amusing that a 'social writer' with an 'unnamed startup' feels he can call whether or not an multi-billion dollar company will succeed or fail.
    CrackBerry Genius

Blah blah blah
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

It's just an opinion piece that's missing any facts we don't already have.

You'd think people that are paid to write articles could try a little harder to earn their pay.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,031 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB

He's a former "editor at large" from Mashable. What does that tell you? (okay maybe I don't have a whole lot of faith in that site)

As well he ends the article with the statement "I hope not", which seems to indicate he's shot his mouth off in the past and is hoping he isn't proven wrong

Obviously an opinion piece that shouldn't be taken seriously by anybody with any sense regardless which side of the fence you're sitting.
    Ben Bubble and zyben like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,111 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

Well that's just about the most hatefull anti-RIM article I've read to date. He "hopes" that they will fail? What the heck is wrong with this guy?! I hope this makes it to the regular blog page here on CrackBerry so we can all tear it apart!
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

Stop reading biased articles, look its the year 2012. People want news and they want it fast. Saying, struggling company is working hard, doesn't get people to post to your twitter feed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Whoops! Looks like dude is on the wrong bandwagon now...
    Another Bias Article on BB10-bandwagon.jpg
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 11-24-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

wow this guy must have been paid to publish such crap, its either that or he is a miserable who likes to try and shoot down the glimmer of hope and the positive throguh the months of lows for the BlackBerry supporters. nothing but god damn negativity dispite the ray of light that is starting to penetrate the dark skys
    CrackBerry Abuser

CNET:
    Ben Parr
    Entrepreneur & Commentator

REALITY:
    Ben Parr
    Unemployed & Troll
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?

Default Re: Another Bias Article on BB10

"I hope not..." ?!?! That's kinda crossing the line a bit l'd say, even by editorial standards.
    ***One cannot get anywhere in life unless they are willing to steal the tiger's wallet.***
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Probably either short or jealous he didn't get in at the lower stock price. All he had to do was listen to Jim Cramer to know this was going to fly.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,087 Global Posts

There will always be stupid people posting personal opinions rather than actual news.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    Thanked by:
    Dougielas (11-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Oh for the love of reading comprehension! When the writer wrote "I hope not", he wasn't hoping for RIM to fail. Look at the rhetorical question that he was replying to. He is hoping that no one should expect on RIM regaining former glory or else they would risk disappointment.

"But does anybody really think that it's going to regain its former glory, especially in the face of Apple and Google, whose R&D operations are leagues above RIM's?

I hope not. RIM is toast. It's only a question of how long it takes."
    Thanked by:
    andy957 (12-03-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VeGiTo View Post
    Let them rip him a new one in the Comments section.
    By "them" you mean the Crackberry troll patrol, right? Attacking the comments of any blog not praising Blackberry? You guys are feeding subscriptions and page hits to these sites, they're loving it!
    kevinnugent likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Look, he has a number of valid points:
    • The price gains are coming on the back of product previews, not actual shipping product and market validation
    • RIM's revenue has dropped substantially
    • RIM's income has dropped substantially
    • Their customer base is increasingly price-conscious and concentrated on prepaid/lower-tier plans (not a fun part of the market for RIM)
    • Its competitors are larger, very aggressive, and have lots of money (for R&D, marketing, etc.)

Whatever his opinion, we should remember that RIM's current stock price is not a proxy for its company or product performance: it seems to be trading higher on unsubstantiated optimism. RIM does have a hard road ahead, and it's not clear that they'll make it. They have a shot, yes, but who knows if they'll succeed?
    Last edited by allengeorge; 11-24-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: formatting
    Terminal Musings: http://www.allengeorge.com
    Thanked by:
    kevinnugent (11-25-2012) 
    andy957 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    291DC0F4

Yawn. I'm tired of all the same crap these 'commentators' write.
    BlackBerry. One of My Five A Day.
    CrackBerry Master

always looking for reasons not to own RIM stock, but this analysis is for the dogs, yes the sales dropped by 50% but the stock already dropped more in the 90% range, he is starting with an analysis of the declining sales, ok so far so good, but then the piece turns into a his view, his thinking is like walking on quicksand, not good.
    BB10 a relic already before it gets released, really?
    still looking for a real argument why RIM is bound to fail.....other than RIM dropped the ball in the past...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    15,800 Global Posts

Everybody knows the situation that RIM faces. BB10 will be in the market soon enough, look at this 18 months from now and we'll have a better idea where RIM/Blackberry is headed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast