Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By playbookster
  • 2 Post By Geeoff
  • 1 Post By playbookster
  • 1 Post By Sith_Apprentice
  • 1 Post By sexybabe88
  • 1 Post By Sith_Apprentice
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Android developer talks about his success on Playbook and high hopes for BB10

The developer of Solar Explorer and Exoplanet Explorer talks about his success on Google Play vs Appworld and other platforms

2012: An app developer’s year in review | Apps @ Burlock.org

RIM seems to be a great partner for devs, this bodes very well for BB10
    Thanked by 3:
    destiny plays (02-09-2013),  magutwit (01-08-2013),  RubberChicken76 (01-07-2013) 
    kbz1960, jakie55, r0v3rT3N and 2 others like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    PIN
    t of lager

RIM has been trumpeting how successful their App store is, but reading it directly from a developer makes it much more real!

He said that his number of sales in the Blackberry Playbook App store (7,150) are approaching his sales in the Android App store (10,300). That's crazy!! I thought the Playbook was DOA?!?
    Thanked by:
    jesse_h (01-07-2013) 
    jesse_h and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
    RIM has been trumpeting how successful their App store is, but reading it directly from a developer makes it much more real!

He said that his number of sales in the Blackberry Playbook App store (7,150) are approaching his sales in the Android App store (10,300). That's crazy!! I thought the Playbook was DOA?!?
    Android users expect everything for free.. Id rather pay 99 cents for an app than have it plastered with ads.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,460 Global Posts

Android is just for people that don't want a blackberry or an iphone. Its the inevitable selection only due to process of elimination, in most cases due to not being able to afford an iphone.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts

Default Android developer talks about his success on Playbook and high hopes for BB10

The Android Play store is a tough game for sure. Freemiun seems to be the best way to turn a profit on Android.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    The Android Play store is a tough game for sure. Freemiun seems to be the best way to turn a profit on Android.
    In his article he mentions that freemium doesnt make a whole lot of money
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

FanBlackBerrytastic!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Are Solar Explorer and Exoplanet Explorer native BlackBerry PlayBook applications (apps) or do they use the BlackBerry Android Player? I have made the conscious decision not to use applications needing the BlackBerry Android Player.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    In his article he mentions that freemium doesnt make a whole lot of money
    Weird, some of the highest grossing games of this year were freemium.
    I'll have to re-read the article I guess, but I didn't see any mention of freemium. Ad supported is not the same of course...
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Are Solar Explorer and Exoplanet Explorer native BlackBerry PlayBook applications (apps) or do they use the BlackBerry Android Player? I have made the conscious decision not to use applications needing the BlackBerry Android Player.
    This only hurts the platform as a whole. Getting devs to bring apps to the platform, regardless of source, helps tremendously. Going out of your way to entice devs to NOT bring their apps over... well that just shows lack of forethought. A dev who can port an android app to BB10/PB OS within an hour or two and then see the interest in this app, is more likely to bring other apps, perhaps even native, in the future. In short, instead of supporting the platform, your blind dislike of android can end up harming BB10.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    elmit22 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    Yes they are native PB apps. But honestly the new Android player works quite well so it doesnt even matter to me. Id rather have an android port than no app at all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    This only hurts the platform as a whole. Getting devs to bring apps to the platform, regardless of source, helps tremendously. Going out of your way to entice devs to NOT bring their apps over... well that just shows lack of forethought. A dev who can port an android app to BB10/PB OS within an hour or two and then see the interest in this app, is more likely to bring other apps, perhaps even native, in the future. In short, instead of supporting the platform, your blind dislike of android can end up harming BB10.
    i am one who utterly dislikes the android player as well for some of the reasons that have been well documented over these forums.

i will not download an android port on my pb, much less pay for an android app and when it happens (because rim refuses to reveal which apps are of android nature) i get extremely pised off and i now rarely download new paid apps.

i feel that by supporting the android player, you are directly causing the demise of rim by hampering native development.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    QWKSNKE likes this.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by sexybabe88 View Post
    i am one who utterly dislikes the android player as well for some of the reasons that have been well documented over these forums.

i will not download an android port on my pb, much less pay for an android app and when it happens (because rim refuses to reveal which apps are of android nature) i get extremely pised off and i now rarely download new paid apps.

i feel that by supporting the android player, you are directly causing the demise of rim by hampering native development.

The entire purpose of the android player is to vastly increase the number of compatible apps for the device. The player works very well for *most* android apps, and those in app world have gone through the same kind of approval as native apps. will all apps work? no, and that is well documented, and some approved apps do have performance issues. Some native apps ALSO have performance issues. This fault cannot be squarely set on the android player, as the Devs also need to test their apps to make sure they perform appropriately. Getting apps onto the platform, getting devs involved in BB10/PB OS is the primary goal here, and the android player needs to be viewed as just ANOTHER avenue to do this, no different than HTML5 apps, or Air apps.

An android dev having success on BB10, writing about it, wether the app was an android app running in the player, or a native port brings attention to the platform. It gathers the interest of other devs, android, iOS, WP7/8, etc. THAT cannot be a bad thing.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    goaliegirl33 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by sexybabe88 View Post

I have 4 android apps on my PB. INC, Canabalt, Super Drill Panic and Kayak and they all perform pefectly well. When was the last time you tried one? The android player has been greatly improved.