Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Americans losing addiction to "CrackBerrys"

SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - To understand what ails BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd in the U.S. market, just ask eBay Inc Chief Executive John Donahoe.

The world's biggest online auction site had about a hundred engineers developing new iterations of eBay's shopping app for Apple Inc's iPhone a few months ago, and another hundred engineers working on Google Inc's Android mobile platform.

EBay even had 50 people developing apps for Microsoft's Windows phones, but the e-commerce giant only had "one or two" working on RIM's BlackBerry, according to Donahoe.

Full article here: Americans losing addiction to "CrackBerrys"

Searched, looked through the general discussion (and BlackBerry News) thread and didn't see this posted.
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    Banned

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

RIM needs a fast solution and waiting a full year for a phone with an unsupported and app lacking OS like QNX is not it. There best solution is to build a solid device with up to date features with an amazing touchscreen and run Android or even Windows. This will put RIM in direct competition with Samsung and the like and most importantly make Blackberry a household name once again. I am not at all excited about QNX phones because as much as we deny it the market want apps and Blackberry can not deliver.
    mustangv8, azrin640 and tkwolf like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yea, we didn't know that. If it wasn't for crackberry specifically, I would be willing to bet they would easily lose a good 15% of their base. We just sit here and accept subpar products and stay faithful to a company that does not care about us.
    Thanked by:
    RCCollins (12-27-2011) 
    RCCollins and azrin640 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBF354

Can't believe BlackBerry's US market is, about 10% now? RIM really, really underestimated the power of an App and using the phone for more than a communication device. And too bad they didn't realized this until 2011.

The only way I could see RIM regaining some if its customers back or gaining new ones if WP7 doesn't really take off and user fatigue from iOS and Android making BlackBerry 10 a nice "breath of fresh air" alternative to the big guys (Google and Apple).

Here's to a better year, 2012!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    ಠ_ಠ

Even I'm weaning off my Crackberry addiction. I'll still keep my BB to use with my PB, but when my upgrade period rolls around I'll more than likely be looking at iPhone or Android, for the apps more than anything else.

RIM has some serious catching up to do if it wants to stay in the game.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,333 Global Posts

it hurts to see commercials on TV talking about an app and you see on the bottom of the screen 'available for iPhone and Android' ... no mention of BBs apps anywhere...they need a marketing team on this ASAP!
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
    Spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,174 Global Posts

Best section of article:

To be sure, BlackBerry still has its defenders. Robert Laikin, CEO of cellphone distributor Brightpoint, said that RIM represents between 5 percent to 10 percent of the 110 million phones his company handles globally every year.
    "I still have a BlackBerry. When I talk to my friends who are business professionals, most of them still have a BlackBerry. Some of them have bought an additional device too," he told Reuters.
    "All manufacturers I've worked with in the last 25 years have product delays. What RIM is going through isn't different," he said. "I believe RIM will survive because their product is very sticky."
    Evolution of Communication: Rotary Phone > Dial Tone > Motorola Walkie-talkie > Nokia 2160 > Nokia 6190 > Samsung a460 > Samsung a920 > BB 8700 > BB 9530 > BB 9860 > PlayBook > Z10 > HTC One X+>Z30
    Thanked by:
    TRlPPlN (01-02-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

I think the issue is the products are less sticky than they used to be. So while I mostly agree with the previous, I don't think that statement assures them any success.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    CrackBerry Newbie

The problem with Blackberry's in the U.S. is their subsidized price. I see a lot of people with the Torch, my guess because AT&T had them for $49 with a two-contract. When you look at Verizon, their Bold 9930 is $199 (I've seen it higher). Sorry, but anyone at RIM who thinks this is a good idea is flat out wrong. Putting these phones into the sub $50 range is the only way to really pick up new customers.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    69,982 Global Posts

Wow it takes hundreds of developers to make one app? They need better developers?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Thanked by:
    JBenn911 (12-17-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,471 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JAGWIRE View Post
    it hurts to see commercials on TV talking about an app and you see on the bottom of the screen 'available for iPhone and Android' ... no mention of BBs apps anywhere...they need a marketing team on this ASAP!
    That's because in almost all instances there is not a Blackberry app for what they are advertising. You can't market what you do not have. RIM has basically neutered itself by implying QNX powered phones would be ready early 2012, and now pushing it back, plus this crazy android support that hasn't materialized yet in QNX either. Developers won't put much effort into a platform that is end of life and hemorraging marketshare, so OS7 will see little to no developement while developers wait to port their finished android apps over to BB10. RIM needs to wake the **** up and put out QNX phone running HSPA, not LTE, that can be rolled out NOW! This waiting for an LTE chipset excuse is garbage and shows just how out of touch RIM is with the market, and/or how big of liars they are to cover up the neglegence. Iphone isn't LTE and neither are a lot of the hot selling droids. Apple rolled out to what worked best now, and will go to LTE when the technology is ready, and people will buy them like candy without LTE. Every mis-step rim digs the whole deeper and the sides may fall in soon and bury them alive.
    Thanked by:
    the_sleuth (12-17-2011) 
    azrin640 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mustangv8 View Post
    Yea, we didn't know that. If it wasn't for crackberry specifically, I would be willing to bet they would easily lose a good 15% of their base. We just sit here and accept subpar products and stay faithful to a company that does not care about us.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!
    RCCollins and azrin640 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,793 Global Posts
    PIN
    Light Saber

Quote Originally Posted by mustangv8 View Post
    My only question to you is..WHY? There are people out there who will pay someone to beat the crap out of them, for whatever reason.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

I think it comes down to getting your money's worth. Most people pay $80+ for the privilege of using a smartphone. For that kind of money you had better get more than push email and bbm. I think if blackberry could offer a plan similar to metro pcs... Unlimited everything for $50.. And drop the price on the new phones with outdated technology.. They could dominate the market.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

75 Million * .15 = 11,250,000
    I guess the crackberry website has a bunch of lurkers, no wonder the site lags if 11.25 Million users are on the site all the time.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    ALToronto likes this.

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Flavor View Post
    I think it comes down to getting your money's worth. Most people pay $80+ for the privilege of using a smartphone. For that kind of money you had better get more than push email and bbm. I think if blackberry could offer a plan similar to metro pcs... Unlimited everything for $50.. And drop the price on the new phones with outdated technology.. They could dominate the market.
    That takes the carriers, NOT RIM,

in Canada you can get a Pay As you Go voice plan with an unlimited messaging on a BlackBerry for $35/month, not offered for any other smartphone due to data requirements.

the Carriers could push the low cost smartphone bundle to the feature phone users, but haven't yet, the race to lower cost plans wont happen until the upper limit plans start getting limits like other countries have.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    75 Million * .15 = 11,250,000
    I guess the crackberry website has a bunch of lurkers, no wonder the site lags if 11.25 Million users are on the site all the time.
    Lol...... I've often wondered why it gets so laggy!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
    There best solution is to build a solid device with up to date features with an amazing touchscreen and run Android or even Windows. This will put RIM in direct competition with Samsung and the like and most importantly make Blackberry a household name once again..
    Are you serious run Android or windows on my BB....... yo pack your **** and leave and never post another thing on this site. The day they put any other os onto my BB im done with them and searching for the nearest bridge to jump off
    What are men without knowledge?
    What is knowledge without wisdom?
    What is wisdom without application?

Global Posts
    10,028 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanti View Post
    Are you serious run Android or windows on my BB....... yo pack your **** and leave and never post another thing on this site. The day they put any other os onto my BB im done with them and searching for the nearest bridge to jump off
    Would you like a tranquilizer? You sound rather upset!
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

It's no mystery. iPhone and android are just phones. They're not really doing anything outrageously new compared to BlackBerry.

People like choice and when BB gets its act together they will be 'rediscovered'.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Just watch
    Ill bet my life on this, even the iPhone will eventually lose popularity and another company will become the most valued company in the world, and will sell more than Apple.

Nothing lasts forever
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,399 Global Posts

Who cares what happens in the US! The only thing that matters is that people still buy BBs in third-world countries. At least, that is what I've learned from these boards.
    vrs626, Maliberti and moiselles like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    PIN
    Friends Only. I need friends :(.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanti View Post
    That guy is on every post possible to state his want for BB to switch to another OS. I guess I fail to understand his "logic" and frankly I'm OK with that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

RIM needs to scrap the stupid LTE chips, and release it earlier
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Who cares what happens in the US! The only thing that matters is that people still buy BBs in third-world countries. At least, that is what I've learned from these boards.
    So third world customers are worth less than first world customers? Really?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast