• 2 Post By lorax1284

Global Posts
    9,322 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 3 Reasons for a RIM Comeback that Have Nothing to Do with RIM

Quote Originally Posted by introduction
    [...] RIM—a company that has had more than its fair share of struggles in recent years—the Goldman Sachs’ research note couldn’t have been better timed. Morgan Stanley had just recommended that shareholders drop the stock; also RIM is being excoriated for missing out on the holiday shopping madness by releasing BB10 in 2013. And that is just from the last week or so. So yes, RIM has a steep hill to climb and it will be almost mission impossible for it to achieve its former glory in the smartphone universe. That said, there are trends, having nothing to do with RIM, that could wind up giving the BlackBerry maker a much needed push.[...]
    read the end here : 3 Reasons for a RIM Comeback that Have Nothing to Do with RIM - Forbes
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by 4:
    Cesare21 (12-03-2012),  jordandrews90 (12-03-2012),  MADBRADNYC (12-03-2012),  zyben (12-01-2012) 
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

Yeah I saw this on my Social Feeds.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

I believe!

RIM isn't going anywhere, I'll keep on buying stock.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.140 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

In short, the smartphone market is still relatively nascent, which means there’s room for multiple vendors and operating systems to flourish, it concluded.
    This is most important, everybody should remember this when saying RIM's too late to the game and only Apple and Android can survive in the market.

Bring on BB10.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,180 Global Posts

The BYOD and Security portion is very interesting. . .So we know that BYOD isn't actually that cost effective and folks seem to be predicting some form of major security breach happening. So why do folks continue to move down the BYOD path? A lot of the fear associated with BYOD is starting to look like a lot of hot air. . .so when you see the trend in cooperate setting you don't really think much about it because it just could be that the employee have a lot of pull but when government agency start doing the same I get a bit more concerned. . . These folks are supposed to know better. . .either they do in fact know better and are moving down the right path or maybe having shinny phones that play angry birds has become a priority. . .My fear is by the time BYOD is shown by hard fact to be a bad idea that RIM would long gone by then. . .
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AfroZepher View Post
    These folks are supposed to know better. . .either they do in fact know better and are moving down the right path or maybe having shinny phones that play angry birds has become a priority. . .My fear is by the time BYOD is shown by hard fact to be a bad idea that RIM would long gone by then. . .
    Security isn't the only thing required these days to keep a mobile company alive. I could attend my daily Webex calls on my 'berry, but without a Skype app, I need to be tied down on my workstation and get on with the meeting. IF I had Skype I could have attended these meetings from my home and then head to office.

The point is, these 'shiny' phones also happen to have a lot of productivity tools (along with angry birds) that BBOS is missing. That could be one of the major reasons the switch to BYOD happened with a potential security breach.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    AfroZepher likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

One of the things that all of these analysts forget is that there really has always been 4 players in smart phones. In the early part of the century there was Nokia and Ericsson with Symbian, Palm with Palm OS, Windows Mobile/CE and BlackBerry.

Then came Apple and effectively killed Palm OS, and Windows Mobile. RIM and Nokia hung on and continued to grow for a few years. Microsoft took Nokia out of the game with bags of cash and RIM had a series of fumbles. Android rose from the ashes of Symbian. If it weren't for Nokia handing over 150 million customers through the failure of Windows Phone 7, Android could not have risen to the heights it currently enjoys.

RIM meanwhile has yet to really get in the game with a modern OS. But that will change in under 2 months now.

But that just means it's all just a little bit of history repeating. Apple is the new Palm OS. Android is the new Symbian. Microsoft still doesn't get mobile but has enough cash to stay in the game as they always have been and RIM will remain the third largest player. So a couple of the players changed, but the game remains the same and there is no reason at all RIM cannot remain a force to be reckoned with
    Thanked by 3:
    Balti43 (12-03-2012),  Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (12-03-2012),  Superfly_FR (12-03-2012) 
    Banned

There are a few things I want to clarify for you

Quote Originally Posted by SuperionMaximus View Post
    RIM and Nokia hung on and continued to grow for a few years. Microsoft took Nokia out of the game with bags of cash and RIM had a series of fumbles.
    Microsoft did not 'take Nokia out with bags of cash'. Symbian OS was experiencing the same attrition from iOS and Android sales as Windows Mobile. Nokia did not 'grow' after iOS came out. Their decline started soon after especially with their increasingly desperate and ineffective attempts to respond to the iOS juggernaut with touchscreen phones running Symbian Series 60 3rd edition.

Android rose from the ashes of Symbian.
    What?! This is patently untrue. Google bought the Android company way back in 2005, released their first Android smartphone in 2008. At that point, Nokia was STILL the King of the hill, riding high on stellar sales of the N95 and decent sales of the N96.

If it weren't for Nokia handing over 150 million customers through the failure of Windows Phone 7, Android could not have risen to the heights it currently enjoys.
    WP7 came out in 2010. Nokia accepted to go WP7 in 2011. Commercial failure of their last major Flagship phone (N8) when pitted against the iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S forced their hands. The sales stagnation of Nokia's Symbian devices helped not only Android, but iOS sales as well as Blackberry devices.
    I should think more defining reasons for Android sales ramp up would be the release and (extremely) effective marketing of the Motorola Droid, the deluge of Android devices by HTC and the massive sales success of the Galaxy S.

But that just means it's all just a little bit of history repeating. Apple is the new Palm OS. Android is the new Symbian. Microsoft still doesn't get mobile but has enough cash to stay in the game as they always have been and RIM will remain the third largest player. So a couple of the players changed, but the game remains the same and there is no reason at all RIM cannot remain a force to be reckoned with
    Android is NOT the new Symbian. The platform is not stagnating, Google and hardware OEMs keep putting in new features and giving consumers a staggering amount of hardware choices. Google Play is stocked full of quality apps and games, Android's UI is very well suited for touch.

Apple's iOS is nowhere near becoming 'the new PalmOS'. Despite the whining from naysayers about the UI feeling a bit stale, iOS devices constantly enjoy BY FAR the highest user satisfaction ratings, In other words, the people who use 'em love them.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft is ticking the right boxes with WP8. They've started to 'get' mobile.

There are no guarantees that RIM will remain the 3rd largest player.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts

...and analysts continue to neglect to mention that if users can switch TO Android because the experience is better than what they're using now, they can switch to BB10 when they learn how good the BB10 experience will be. People don't sell their souls when they choose a smartphone platform (unless you count ETFs ha.)
    I was tapering off. I'm all tapered out now.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thanks for another positive thread OP!
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!