Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Transfer BBM contacts from one BB to a new BB?

I'm having issues with my current Blackberry and am waiting on a new Blackberry to be sent to me. I want to keep my BBM contacts. How do I do this? Backup my old phone with the Desktop software then when I get the new phone, somehow transfer the backed up stuff onto the new Berry?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,915 Global Posts
    PIN
    Fission v2.5.7

Open BBM, go into options, scroll down to backup management and click restore, you can restore to a SD card or to your email. I do both to be safe.

On a side note when you get your new device may I suggest the device transfer wizard, it will swap over everything, apps and all
    DTRT-EGH-FTM-PTB-KTF-RFB
    If you thought I was of assistance please click the "Thanks" button
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts

first do what Nozzles Brewin said. but instead of your SC card, choose backup by email and make sure it says "registered" under your email addresses just to make sure. then take both phones, power them up and plug both phones in to your computer. open desktop manager. select the device switch wizard from the drop down menu. chose your current phones PIN, it will back it up. then select your new phones PIN. it will transfer everything from your old to your new. this will include your BBM contacts and 3rd party software. once complete, power off your old device and keep the new one on. resend service books as necessary. everything will be carried over.
    CrackBerry User

Great tips! Thanks. But...

What if I want to transfer ONLY my BBM contacts? Does the Transfer feature of the desktop software allow you to select exactly what gets transferred over?

Other than BBM contacts, I want my new Torch to be free of some of the dumb stuff I downloaded onto my Pearl as a rookie BB user! I also don't want to mess with service books and stuff on the new device which I did, as per someone's suggestion, on my Pearl.

Thanks for your help.
    CrackBerry Genius

Forget the OTA restore exists. Create a local backup on your SD card of your contacts and restore them from there.
    "Open BBM, go into options, scroll down to backup management and click" Backup > Backup Contacts locally

On your nnew bb "Open BBM, go into options, scroll down to backup management and click restore" > restore using a backup file from the device.

Only your contacts will be backed up and restored. The only foolproof way to kEep your contacts. Also restores Bbm groups properly and 10000000x faster than DM used to

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by 2:
    digitaldemon (11-29-2010),  jrodriguez397 (01-06-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Default Restore BBM contacts

I restored contact list from the SD card without issue. All 130 contacts are there. Can't get it to send the new PIN out though.

This is a screen damaged 9650 to a refurbed 9650. Used DM for restore. All fine including email setup. Then I restored the contact list form the SD card. Still no PIN notification to the contacts without me sending a message and waiting for a response "would you like to invite this contact?"

Someone said there was a menu option to "send new PIN to contacts" Can't find that. Any suggestions on how to automatically send the PIN to my 130 contacts? Thank you

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

You don't need to do that. They will automatically be updated with the new PIN.
    CrackBerry User

Default PIN notification

I know that but they haven't updated. That's the problem. A list of my contacts which is fine BUT have not been notified of the new PIN. And i know that because my kid's 9650 shows me under the old PIN.
    CrackBerry Genius

When you switched phones did you create a new bis account? Or is it the same account you used on the old BB?
    The email setup application login

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

Did you use the "Device Switch Wizard" in BlackBerry Desktop Manager? That's what you should have done.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default How to transfer BBM contacts from a BB 8900 (Curve) to a new Torch?

Quote Originally Posted by nozzles brewin View Post
    open bbm, go into options, scroll down to backup management and click restore, you can restore to a sd card or to your email. I do both to be safe.

On a side note when you get your new device may i suggest the device transfer wizard, it will swap over everything, apps and all
    does this also work when transfering bbm contacts from curve 8900 to torch? Even if they dont have the same operative system???

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

The device OS version does matter when using the Device Switch Wizard.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by fokrab View Post
    I restored contact list from the SD card without issue. All 130 contacts are there. Can't get it to send the new PIN out though.

This is a screen damaged 9650 to a refurbed 9650. Used DM for restore. All fine including email setup. Then I restored the contact list form the SD card. Still no PIN notification to the contacts without me sending a message and waiting for a response "would you like to invite this contact?"

Someone said there was a menu option to "send new PIN to contacts" Can't find that. Any suggestions on how to automatically send the PIN to my 130 contacts? Thank you
    a little workaround to get over that hump, I learned along my travels

Send a broadcast message saying "hey this is my new blackberry pin***" and everyone will be notified at once

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sernubar View Post
    does this also work when transfering bbm contacts from curve 8900 to torch? Even if they dont have the same operative system???
    Yes

CrackBerry Newbie

Thumbs up

how do i transfer my bbm