Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry Problems with IMAP syncing

Hi all,

I am having problems with IMAP and my GMail accounts on my BB (Bold 9000 OS 5.0.0.416 I think) (I only have GMail based accounts so far). Basically, it syncs one way only as far as I can tell. I have the enhanced GMail installed.
    If I mark something as "read" on my 'berry then it marks it as read on my computer. If, however, I "flag for follow-up" or "add a star" to an email then it does not show up (even days later) as reciprocated in my GMail inbox or on my computer. Similarly if I read an email on my computer, my blackberry does not show it as read. Grr.

IMAP really is not hard to set up, dozens of email clients have it figured and it's been around a while, why is RIM (and 'berries are famous for their otherwise great email facility) so behind on this?

Is there a way to get my bold to sync IMAP properly?

Also, the GMail plugin is hideously inconvenient because I can't access its capabilities from the normal message list. I have to open the separate inbox first. This is annoying because I have all my email in one unified inbox accessible with the "m" key... Any work-arounds?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Does no-one else experience this problem or is it just that no-one has a solution?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I'm having similar problems - same setup but marking a message read on my BB is NOT marking them read on my computer. Also some of my messages show up in the MESSAGES folder and some in BB MAIL folder when all should be in the BB MAIL folder. Wish I had a solution....
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by justjerry View Post
    I'm having similar problems - same setup but marking a message read on my BB is NOT marking them read on my computer.
    That sounds like no IMAP to me.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyelabs View Post
    That sounds like no IMAP to me.

No, it's IMAP. I got this response on the BB Tech forums:

"OTA reconciliation between the BB and the email SERVER (note...not any desktop client you may be running) will be governed by this KB. If you are running a desktop client (e.g., Outlook), then it is in control of what it reconciles against the server (typically, it does not reconcile read/unread marks)."

"What I am saying is that your BB reconciles against your email Server. Your PC client as well reconciles against your email Server. The BB and the PC client do not reconcile against each other OTA -- the Server is always in the middle. What the BB will reconcile (against the server) is governed by the KB I linked you to. What your PC client will do is whatever it will do (I've no idea what your PC client is nor what it's capabilities are to reconcile things against your email server)."
    Last edited by justjerry; 03-12-2010 at 03:23 PM.