Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "iPhone, its pretty much got BBM right?" HA

I just wanted to share something interesting that happened to me the other day. I tweeted about how Twitter is now integrated with BBM, and my friend who is an iPhone user was somewhat confused by what I meant. The problem was, he thought his iPhone was on the same level as BlackBerry when he got iOS 5.

He was fairly surprised when I started to explain to him what exactly BBM was; that its not just a more robust messaging tool, but more a whole social experience. Apple did a great job of their implementation, and to the end user the messaging experience between 2 iPhones is great! ... oh and FYI this guy is a HUGE Apple/iPhone fan who knows a lot about them and is a programmer too, so not just an ignorant iSheep.

I just found it funny how the more I told him about BBM, the more he realized Apple missed the mark a little. I'm sure this is true with a lot of iPhone users. I bet a lot of them think they pretty much have BBM now...
    Samsung SGH D807 > Moto Ming A1200 > Bold 9700 6.0.0.615 > Bold 9900 7.1.0.746 > Z10STL100-3 10.3.0.1052 || PassportSQW100-1 / 10.3.1.1016
    PlayBook 64GB 2.1.0.1753
    Thanked by:
    SF71 (04-04-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by ThaMunsta View Post
    I just wanted to share something interesting that happened to me the other day. I tweeted about how Twitter is now integrated with BBM, and my friend who is an iPhone user was somewhat confused by what I meant. The problem was, he thought his iPhone was on the same level as BlackBerry when he got iOS 5.

He was fairly surprised when I started to explain to him what exactly BBM was; that its not just a more robust messaging tool, but more a whole social experience. Apple did a great job of their implementation, and to the end user the messaging experience between 2 iPhones is great! ... oh and FYI this guy is a HUGE Apple/iPhone fan who knows a lot about them and is a programmer too, so not just an ignorant iSheep.

I just found it funny how the more I told him about BBM, the more he realized Apple missed the mark a little. I'm sure this is true with a lot of iPhone users. I bet a lot of them think they pretty much have BBM now...
    It seems the only folks who care about BBM are Blackberry users and their population is shrinking. I even have the PB and have never thought about BBM.

Do many people Tweet BBMs?

I'm not sure iPhone folks are concerned with BBM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,618 Global Posts

How do I Tweet using BBM? That would be handy. I deleted the Twitter app.

I'm sure this is true with a lot of iPhone users. I bet a lot of them think they pretty much have BBM now...
    On the contrary, I'd be willing to bet that most iPhone users don't even know what BBM is, much less believe iOS 5 messaging to be comparable.
    jthep likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

I installed this Twitter update as well and it told me it was going to integrate but neither app look any different. **Edit** Sorry if I check my profile on BBM, it shows a link to launch Twitter, so that is the only change i see. WTH?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask and you shall receive!

Quote Originally Posted by FreeJACLive View Post
    I installed this Twitter update as well and it told me it was going to integrate but neither app look any different. **Edit** Sorry if I check my profile on BBM, it shows a link to launch Twitter, so that is the only change i see. WTH?
    When you Tweet throught the Twitter app it will ask you if you want to use your Tweet to update your BBM status as well...
    Mecca EL likes this.

Chrisy you'll need to have Twitter installed in order to link it up with your BBM. But it only work for posting your tweets to your BBM status, it doesn't work the other way around.

Both BBM and iMessage are similar in that they allow you to use data for messaging, cutting down the reliance on SMS and it's 160 character limit. BBM functions a little more like a fully featured, standalone, instant messenger though. iMessage integrates into iOS's text messaging app, switching to iMessage if the other end has it, or just sending out a regular SMS if they don't. It can however use phone numbers and email addresses (instead of being tied to a single PIN), so if you have an iPhone and an iPad, you can carry out and continue conversations under the same ID on all your devices.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 04-04-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, iPad mini retina
    Thanked by:
    Chrisy (04-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

BBM is an excellent feature, but is only as good as the number of friends you have that also use it. With more and more people leaving the Blackberry platform, I don't think BBM is as relevant a feature any more and I don't think it was ever a selling point those that switched to Android or iPhone ever really considered...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

I don't have a phone plan that includes MMS messaging. So I can't text pictures without it costing me money. But I can BBM all the pics and other great stuff I want all day long without sucking up large data consumption.
    CrackBerry User

I must say, I have experienced this myself. Most of my family members and friends have iphone and they thought , rather they think, pretty much along those lines. Thanks for sharing. Good to know its not just me.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

BBM is great for what it is but since the only people using it are the few BlackBerry users out there it really doesn't seem mainstream enough for others to worry about. Other Social apps would be better and they're not specific to a small demographic of smartphone users.
    mca312 and torndownunit like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

BBM isn't nearly as relevant as it once was. I hope RIM doesn't pin (no pun intended) their hopes on it to save them. It's an added feature, but it's not a deal maker/breaker in any way. iPhone/Android are growing exponentially without BBM - so it's obviously not that big a concern for people. And with more and more people dropping BBs, the BBM contact list is shrinking which makes it less relevant.

BBM is no longer as relevant as it once was, now that there's cross platforms IMs like Whatsapp, Kik, and LiveProfile around. Over the last year my BBM icon has been lighting up less, and the Whatsapp icon's been coming up more and more.

That said, there's still some value to BBM...if RIM moves to make it cross platform. I think if it became available, Android and iPhone users will download and use it, based on its past reputation. It has the potential to dominate the mobile IM market, which at this point is still quite fragmented.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, iPad mini retina
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry User

BBM was a great idea with great implementation a few years back. BBM should have been ported to other devices long ago as it could of easily become a standard for instant messaging on smartphones. Now it is being drowned out by other apps even if they pail in comparison. Not to mention they should have replaced the ridiculous bbm pin with an email or at least a phone number. I remember watching two non technical people looking at their phones for an hour trying to share their pins, quite amusing to watch as one of them didn't even have a data plan.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

See my view here is different.

I can update my FB, Twitter and BBM from social feeds so why do I need to be able to from the apps themselves?

Especially in the case of FB, I'd have rather RIM spent the time developing a FB app to rival iPhone and Android than worry anout integrating an average app into BBM when social feeds already had that covered.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4
    Torch 9800 6.0.0.600 (Backup phone)
    Bold 9700 6.0.0.570 (Spare phone)

www.markdenholm.com
    twitter.com/markdenholm
    torndownunit likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Quote Originally Posted by ADozenEggs@aol.com View Post
    It seems the only folks who care about BBM are Blackberry users and their population is shrinking. I even have the PB and have never thought about BBM.
    population is shrinking clearly an American point of view. We have our selves a Junior journalist folks
    dentynefire likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

I love BB and BBM but these threads never end well.
    BlackBerry Z30 Running 10.3.1.1151
    Twitter: @ShawnRussell

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADozenEggs@aol.com View Post

Do many people Tweet BBMs?

I'm not sure iPhone folks are concerned with BBM.

You never had a BlackBerry with BBM I guess.

Those users who never had it, or never embraced it don't really understand it, it is like BlackBerry Bridge to the outsider it looks like just a crappy tethertool, but it offers so much more.

I unfortunately know a few people who have left for iPhones, and they love them, except for iMessage/LiveProfile is NO BBM substitute, and a few Miss the Keyboard, but the 1000's of new things they get to do with Apps makes up for that loss to them.

BBM is still a draw factor and it still is a great product, yes to those who never used it, and seeing as the smartphone market grows so fast more and more people have never used it, so it isn't as big of draw, but when you really made use of it, nothing replaces it.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \

Global Posts
    5,616 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark-d View Post
    See my view here is different.

I can update my FB, Twitter and BBM from social feeds so why do I need to be able to from the apps themselves?

Especially in the case of FB, I'd have rather RIM spent the time developing a FB app to rival iPhone and Android than worry anout integrating an average app into BBM when social feeds already had that covered.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

The facebook app on BB is so much better than the Android versions.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well iPhone has iMessage and while it's nothing amazing yet - it is also the first iteration of that messaging application. Id be willing to bet apple is going to have some very cool upgrades for it in ios6 - why do I think that? Because apple makes smart decisions and brings to the masses what they want/need, to that end I can't say the same thing about rim and their choices.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry Guy View Post
    Chrisy you'll need to have Twitter installed in order to link it up with your BBM. But it only work for posting your tweets to your BBM status, it doesn't work the other way around.

Both BBM and iMessage are similar in that they allow you to use data for messaging, cutting down the reliance on SMS and it's 160 character limit. BBM functions a little more like a fully featured, standalone, instant messenger though. iMessage integrates into iOS's text messaging app, switching to iMessage if the other end has it, or just sending out a regular SMS if they don't. It can however use phone numbers and email addresses (instead of being tied to a single PIN), so if you have an iPhone and an iPad, you can carry out and continue conversations under the same ID on all your devices.
    You do know that BBM has SMS integration in it now in which you can actually put contacts in it who aren't on a Blackberry phone and send them a text using BBM.
    Just a trucker delivering the goods in which sometimes they are cell phones.
    7cf26b0d
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

He was fairly surprised when I started to explain to him what exactly BBM was; that its not just a more robust messaging tool, but more a whole social experience.
    The thing is, a lot people might only use BBM to send messages to their buddies because it's "free". Personally, that's all I do with it, I see it as a free substitute to text messaging.

So the whole social experience piece of it is probably lost on people like me.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

To "embrace it" one must know someone to with a BB phone and able to use it. I can count on one hand the number of folks I know with a BB phone here in WI.

I would say more are not embracing BBM by the day since BB is losing market share and other platforms are expanding.

Again, it is the consumer phone without BBM that is causing RIM so much pain.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.3.1.1151
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526 and not used!
    BlackBerry continues to act anti-American! Another no U.S. launch for the largest dollar making country (BBs own numbers) for them on the planet!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Great thing about BBM is that your contacts do not have to come from your geographical location. You can add users from all over the world. You do not have to know anyone from your city or state/province. Many online services help connect BBM users to each other.

I know all about kik, whatsapp, LiveNation and a whole host of other crappy cross platform IM clients. The only problem I have is that they are not BBM. I am still getting about 10-20 requests on BBM a day. While my demos have changed, my overall contact numbers have not. I'll admit that a North American contact is in my minority, but that's really no surprise.

I really like BBM, and I also have a PB, I don't care if they add it to it or not. I know those who are rocking the PB without a BB may have a need for it, but I think it's kind of shortsighted to say that because someone has a PB and isn't interested in BBM, then that must be the norm. It's not.

iOS users do indeed know what BBM is. Almost as much as BB users know what Siri is. It's their fall back argument for getting me to try one of the xplatform chat apps. "Oh, cmon, it's just like BBM only it doesn't care if you are on Android, iOS, or BBOS." My usuall canned response is "Then it's not BBM, is it?"

BBM + Social Feeds can be pretty versatile and powerful if used properly. Like most things though, if you don't play around and figure out what you can do, it may seem limited.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Abuser

This still doesn't explain rimms massive failure

Some people here have some great ideas and I honestly think it is about time they come here and listen, not secretly, but let it be known they are here and are listening.

The world is evolving from e-commerce to "me-commerce"...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast