Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ♫♪♫♪♫
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Smile international bbm messages?

my old roommate recently moved to australia and she has a blackberry. i was talking to a friend who says she uses bbm to message her cousin who lives in germany and it's free.

since blackberry messenger runs on data (from what i've heard) is it safe to say then that i can bbm my old roommate in australia for free (since i have unlimited data)?

thanks
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 02-17-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: clarification

your life will return after these messages
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    DoLoL Is A βeta Blocker

Yes. If you both have unlimited data it will be free. Which really isn't because it's included in your plan. So enjoy anyway...
    We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.
    Blackberry 101: Lecture Series|Memory Optimization|How To Recover A Dead Blackberry|Posting Rules|How to Search Forums
    CrackBerry Genius

yes bbm runs on data
    if u are using bbm locally to text someone overseas, there will not be any roaming charges
    "They may take our lives, but they can never take OUR CRACKBERRY!"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes Its Free I use the bbm To talk to some peeps over in England , You just have to have unlimted Data Plan.
    I will stalk you!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ♫♪♫♪♫
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

awesome, thanks!

your life will return after these messages
    CrackBerry User

Im sorry but are you guys sure BBM isnt a totally free service? I was understood that is is the same as sending messeges to a PIN number and that is free no matter where you are in the world?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts
    PIN
    OCCHIO

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by garthmo View Post
    Im sorry but are you guys sure BBM isnt a totally free service? I was understood that is is the same as sending messeges to a PIN number and that is free no matter where you are in the world?
    TOTALLY SURE!
    Now using an iPhone 4 and BlackBerry Pearl 9105 3G
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by FobBerry View Post
    TOTALLY SURE!
    Well that sucks
    CrackBerry Newbie

any idea why i can't add my international friends (CND and AUS) to my bbm contacts? i have 8830, verizon, unlimited data... a few times it just didn't work, now the canada contact is just "pending" and it's been 1.5 days
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    27F5A1D3

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it you wouldn't necessarily need an unlimited data plan as any data plan would suffice. The only benefit of having an unlimited plan is that you won't incur any extra charges when you've reached your data limit. There is no cost of individual messages per se but rather data sent.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,026 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by panda24 View Post
    any idea why i can't add my international friends (CND and AUS) to my bbm contacts? i have 8830, verizon, unlimited data... a few times it just didn't work, now the canada contact is just "pending" and it's been 1.5 days
    Friend of mine with same issue right now. Searching through forums (how I came across this thread) and no insight yet...
    Facebook
    Personal: 9700 6.0.0.418
    Work: 8330 5.0.0.438 based hybrid
    9550 5.0.0.713
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    PIN
    “Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find."

Quote Originally Posted by controversialfigure View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it you wouldn't necessarily need an unlimited data plan as any data plan would suffice. The only benefit of having an unlimited plan is that you won't incur any extra charges when you've reached your data limit. There is no cost of individual messages per se but rather data sent.
    Correct....
    Look for me in the whirlwind or the Storm. Current OS: 4.7.1.53. PIN:Furnished upon request.
    3rd Party APPS:Amazon.com ~ Amaze ~ AppWorld ~ BBFileScout ~ BBTran ~ BOLT ~ CB App Store ~ FaceBook ~ FML ~ Google Voice ~ IheartRadio ~ Live Messenger ~ MeterBerry ~ MySpace ~ MyVerizon ~ Pandora ~ Poynt ~ QuickLaunch ~ Slacker ~ Follow me -> SocialScope ~ StormSlider ~ YouMail VVM ~ Y Messenger ~ ZenMinder.. IrieNest@crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32239DAB

what about the person that is outside the united states, do they need unlimeted plan as well so they can get on bbm? and send messages? or will cost them as well ?
    Hybrids makes me Bold!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    PIN
    20F530B1. Add me =]

Quote Originally Posted by vic_machu19 View Post
    what about the person that is outside the united states, do they need unlimeted plan as well so they can get on bbm? and send messages? or will cost them as well ?
    They don't need unlimited data, they just need some type of Blackberry data plan. You can only send/receive BBM messages if you both have a Blackberry plan. If you're talking about SMS/MMS messages, then yes, that'll cost both of you unless you both have an add on to your plans for unlimited or reduced price international SMS messages but a plan add on will still cost something.
    Brief phone history: Nokia 8265(SunCom)>Samsung A840(Sprint)>Sanyo 8300(Sprint)>Sanyo 8400(Sprint)>Treo 755P(Sprint)>HTC Mogul(Sprint)(Worst phone ever)>BB 8830(Sprint)>Nokia E71(Unlocked) & BB 8900(AT&T) & Samsung Alias 2(VZW)
    Twitter
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EA01E0

Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    Friend of mine with same issue right now. Searching through forums (how I came across this thread) and no insight yet...
    When you add somebody, they need to confirm it and then it comes back to you to acknowledge it again. So there's a chance they haven't accepted the request yet.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I don't mean to awaken a sleeping thread, but what about this scenario...

My wife and I are going to the Bahamas over New Years and I was wondering if BBMing while there to friends in the US would result in charges for ME. Wouldn't this be considered international data roaming?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM for pin

Using BBM isn't free as it is included in your BB plan. The "free" aspect is that it does not cost any more in usage charges to send a BBM internationally. Or at least that is what RIM tech support told me when I was talking to them on an unrelated matter this week.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I know that BBM works internationally. However, does it still work internationally if one of the blackberry phones is running on a CDMA network? (boost mobile) Thanks.

Global Posts
    5,764 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

As long as it is a Blackberry with a BlackBerry data plan.
    Posted using my device of choice. May or may not be a BlackBerry.
    No such thing as too many backups. Remember that.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Smile

So, if you have unlimited bbm, but no data, then you can still bbm to other countries for free?

Global Posts
    6,890 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skixoxo View Post
    So, if you have unlimited bbm, but no data, then you can still bbm to other countries for free?
    Yes. It doesn't matter where the recipient is.