Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default how to use Msn and Facebook on wifi

Hello bold users..... This is my first blackberry and ive had it for just about week now... i finally learnt how to download apps (thanks to crackberry)... but the apps i was most interested in were msn and facebook... but after i got them.. it seems that it only works with the data plan 3g internet and not wifi.. now im not a subscriber to rogers internet.. is there a way i could use these apps with WiFi??
    Also wanted to know about Maps/GPS.. the phone didnt come with any maps loaded where as the GPS is such a highly advertised feature of it.. and i found out only after i got the phone that you must have a data plan to use it any ways... is that only true for turn by turn direction?? i mean could i just load a map when im within a WiFi region and then save it???

Even tho there have been a few disspointments since i got the phone.. mostly since i dont know how to use all the features propely... but for some reason ... i love the phone... and would like to learn all the work around before i can call it MINE...
    Will appreciate any replies... thanks a ton crackberry userS!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

only jivetalk will work over wifi for msn but it costs for a once time license fee. works great t (well that's when my wifi works properly) and no the facebook app will not work over wifi. the only way you can use facebook over wifi is going to the facebook mobile site via the hotspot browser. there is actually a thread in the wifi forum as to what does and doesn't work over wifi. i suggest you read that also.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts

Live Messenger will work over Wifi.

Tested by turning off 3G radio and turning on WiFi. It'll return an error saying "Cannot connect to server" when you start the app, ignore it and sign in.
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand Binary, those that don't, and those that don't expect this signature to be in base 3.
    CrackBerry Abuser

interesting info. will give that a try.
    Blackberry BOLD '2' with os ....5.0.0.593
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

hey.. i just gave it a try... didnt work.. still complaining about no data plan... is there a crack you can get to work around these things.. i just came to bold from iphone and must say that iphone was better in this regard... but bold is way better when it comes to OS and crash rates
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts

You still need a data plan for this to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

I got my msn live messenger to work over wifi...
    I turned off my 'mobile network' but left 'wifi' on and it signed in.
    CrackBerry User

Could it be a service book issue tho? Those of us that can get msn on wifi probably all have a data plan, so even though we turn off the 3G network it still works, whereas the OP doesn't have the needed service books?

Just a thought?

Thanked by:
    jakewu (03-18-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,495 Global Posts

Both apps work fine over my wifi when I turn off my mobile network and just use WIFI only....even BB Messenger also works on my WIFI which I thought would only work when connected to the BB networkm

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,572 Global Posts
    PIN
    Say Please

Sounds area specific. I get great wifi and can use everything on my phone in certain places. Maps load with data. I'm not sure if you could hold a wifi signal to get your turn by turn.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by munir786 View Post
    hey.. i just gave it a try... didnt work.. still complaining about no data plan... is there a crack you can get to work around these things.. i just came to bold from iphone and must say that iphone was better in this regard... but bold is way better when it comes to OS and crash rates
    MSN will definitely work over wifi, as I use it over wifi every day in the lab, since there is no cell phone reception in my lab.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by munir786 View Post
    Also wanted to know about Maps/GPS.. the phone didnt come with any maps loaded where as the GPS is such a highly advertised feature of it.. and i found out only after i got the phone that you must have a data plan to use it any ways... is that only true for turn by turn direction?? i mean could i just load a map when im within a WiFi region and then save it???
    BB Maps, Google maps and the such will always use data, as they don't store any map information on your device and must therefore download the information as required.

You can try programs like Garmin, where all the map data is stored on a SD card and rely solely on GPS info.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    PIN
    24A20709

Dude your blackberry is worthless with out a data plan, you really need to get one to use it to its fullest.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CE8C39

As someone said I think this has to do with having the service books. As long as you have those it should work over wi-fi, but to get those you need a data plan.

I'm pretty sure FaceBook works over Wi-Fi too.
    Bold OS: .162 --> .167 --> .185 --> .190 --> .194 --> .201 --> .210 --> .214 --> .215 --> .216 --> .217 -->.219 --> .234 --> .301 (Current OS) --> .WhatsNext

RIM 2009-10 Device Road Map

"Once you go BlackBerry you never go back!" -
    Waiting patiently for the BB Storm to come to AT&T
    Need a custom ringtone? I can make one for you.
    Follow me on twitter tsaunders
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24A67087

Its impossible to use MSN Messenger or Facebook with only wifi and no BIS or BES data plan, even with a basic data plan (like windows mobile data plan for carriers that dont have bis/bes) wont work. turning off your 3g radio will not do anything, try pulling out your battery, taking out the sim card and using wifi only. i use to be with fido but only wifi wasnt enough for me, so i switched to rogers and got my data plan.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am most certainly able to use the facebook app over wifi...Google Maps however, does give me problems unless I have the radio on and can access data from the cell network....
    CrackBerry User

is there to download the service books and install them in the bb to fool the device about the data plan?
    anyone would like to share?
    CrackBerry User

When using apps such as e-mail and Facebook, will I be able to tell my BlackBerry Bold to use WiFi over the GPRS/3G signal if there is WiFi available? The reason I'm asking is that I am charged per kB if I use GPRS/3G.
    CrackBerry User

I am a new Bold user, and this is my first BB.
    When i first got it, I didnt have any data plan. In Bangalore, India it takes 24 hrs to activate data services.

So when i was playing around with the phone trying to set up an email account, i noticed that i could not use my web browser over wifi. This is because i was using the regular one and not the hot spot one, so when i turned of Mobile Network from Manage Connections, my brower opnd in hotspot mode and i was able to use it over wifi.

could this same thing work for the facebook app, it dose not work over wifi when u are using wifi and mobile network is active then FB is in regular mode but when Mobile Network is off it is fored to go into HotSpot mode?

Just an idea
    CrackBerry Abuser

I've found that msn and facebook both work over wifi, and my browser automatically switches to hotspot when I'm in bad cell range. I'm with ATT

CrackBerry Abuser

Actually, I'm doing just that right now since I've got a high speed wi-fi connection and about 1-2 bars EDGE at best, they're all using wi-fi. Msn was using data first, but got a network error and automatically switched over and went much faster and smoother.

Banned

it works over wifi because you still have the sim card in, the blackberry internet service can work over wifi, as well over the carrier line. it automatically switches to wifi mode when connected to it.

without data plan in the line currently registered with the sim card, bbmsn, live messenger and anything that uses data wont work over wifi. if you take the sim card out and enable wifi you wont be able to use data plan requiring apps over wifi.

turning the radio off and enabling wifi doesnt mean it works solely over wifi, because it is still using the information in the sim card to identify with the BIS server
    Last edited by gbsn; 05-23-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by gbsn View Post
    it works over wifi because you still have the sim card in, the blackberry internet service can work over wifi, as well over the carrier line. it automatically switches to wifi mode when connected to it.

without data plan in the line currently registered with the sim card, bbmsn, live messenger and anything that uses data wont work over wifi. if you take the sim card out and enable wifi you wont be able to use data plan requiring apps over wifi.

turning the radio off and enabling wifi doesnt mean it works solely over wifi, because it is still using the information in the sim card to identify with the BIS server
    Well said my friend.
    So this means that where there is no Data plan available forget WL Messenger!

All of you saying that "my MSN and Facebook work over wifi" can just shut up and not join in the conversation because I can bet my HOUSE that all of you have a data plan.
    This is about people not having data plans, or are in countries where blackberry data plans are not available from carriers.

So, is there any solution for getting Windows Live Messenger to work over Wifi WITHOUT having a data plan?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcjduong View Post
    Its impossible to use MSN Messenger or Facebook with only wifi and no BIS or BES data plan, even with a basic data plan (like windows mobile data plan for carriers that dont have bis/bes) wont work. turning off your 3g radio will not do anything, try pulling out your battery, taking out the sim card and using wifi only. i use to be with fido but only wifi wasnt enough for me, so i switched to rogers and got my data plan.
    Buddy, why did you have to switch to Rogers, if Fido also has Data Plans? I'm curious since I'm registering with Fido this week.

I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'll second the question that Zvuqniki posed, is there any possible option to use WLM without a data plan? Failing that, is there any 3rd party app that is MSN compatible that does not rely on blackberry/carrier networks but will via wifi hotspots? I had to drop all my services as I can't afford everything at this time. My Bold will work thru wifi hot spot with webmail and most sites using the browser (the simm card is not tied to any account now but I still have to set browser to use hotspot and enable data services for browsing to work).

...besides being a rather expensive Ipod it would be pretty handy at least if I can have some form of wifi based messenger communications available.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast