Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation How to save full bbm chat history on laptop??

So,ive got my chat saved to my media card but when i tried transferring my message history onto my laptop i was only able to view the recent conversations i'd had with my contacts however i've got a few months worth of chat history i'd like to save..

is there anyway i can do this? i've heard of 'making backup files using bb manager' but i have no idea what that is?

help anyone?

Global Posts
    66,908 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_1 View Post
    So,ive got my chat saved to my media card but when i tried transferring my message history onto my laptop i was only able to view the recent conversations i'd had with my contacts however i've got a few months worth of chat history i'd like to save..

is there anyway i can do this? i've heard of 'making backup files using bb manager' but i have no idea what that is?

help anyone?
    Do you mean making backups with Desktop Manager?
    You plug into dm and choose Backup. The resulting ipd file will save the SMS chats but I'm not sure about the bbm chat history.
    The most sure-fire way to save your chat history is to email the chat to yourself periodically. That way you have a backup.
    HTTR FOREVER I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.821/800 on VZW
    How to Load an OS Using Autoloader|Backup and Restore Using BB Link
    How to Sideload Android Apps to Your BB10 device|How To Upgrade Your OS with Sachesi I Questions? email jomarie.ditata@mobilenations.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

How do i get desktop manager?

Global Posts
    66,908 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_1 View Post
    How do i get desktop manager?
    You can go here on your computer or laptop and download the appropriate software. It's Free, too.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com
    HTTR FOREVER I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.821/800 on VZW
    How to Load an OS Using Autoloader|Backup and Restore Using BB Link
    How to Sideload Android Apps to Your BB10 device|How To Upgrade Your OS with Sachesi I Questions? email jomarie.ditata@mobilenations.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin is a small and pointy object...so it's really not for little ones.

In addition to DM, I also back up my BBM data to the memory card, the I plug in the phone and download the BBM backup files from there. I think you can even email to yourself if you want.
    CrackBerry Genius

You can't backup BBM messages...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by masterscarhead1 View Post
    Sure you can, just not restore them...

Open BBM>Hit menu button> Select Options> Scroll down to "Save Chat History"

Not sure of the file path for when you save on "Device" but for the media card it's:
    Media Card/BlackBerry/IM/BlackBerry Messenger/Your PIN/History

All your contacts PIN's will be there in csv format. These can be transferred and opened in Excel.

As for the OP's issue. I have chats on my media card from early 2009, so not sure how they can only be some of the chats and not all of them. Maybe Chat History wasn't turned on at first? BBM will only save them once you tell it to.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 03-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by masterscarhead1 View Post
    you can back them up. I recently saved an entire month conversation, but right now my computer is getting repaired so I don't recall the program I down loaded that let's you save it to your laptop. if you search the forum, I did ask the same question, and the program works.
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 03-06-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue "excellence does not require perfection "l.[/COLOR]
    CrackBerry Newbie

can anyone tell me how to download all the BBM messenger history to computer?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2ABFE101

The easiest way is to email the chat history. Aint it?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by bbzak View Post
    The easiest way is to email the chat history. Aint it?
    you can only do this if that chat conversation is still open, right? most of my conversations are closed. if im wrong and you can email chats from long ago then that'll fix any problem i have. please do let me know.
    CrackBerry User

i figured out how to do this!

download this app:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...99462/?lang=EN

the app's name is 'Past Chat Free'.

basically goto app world and search for 'pastchat'. when i searched for it by name i couldnt find anything relevant, so search for it as one word and it works.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

In BBM options, you choose to save the chat to the Media card. This then goes into the Blackberry\IM\Blackberry Messenger\history\ folder of the memory card. Simple CVS files which can be opened in Excel or any spreadsheet.

Two files - named after your PIN number. One is a .cvs, the other is a .old

What confuses me is why it doesn't save for many months. It seems to only go back a short way. There is an "old" file created as a copy when the main file fills up at around 146KB. And that seems to overwrite the previous .old file

I want to be able to keep ALL of my BBM history forever. Yet I can already see that I have lost some of the older chats. I don't understand this.

I know I chat a LOT with just one person, but I would still expect to be able to keep that full history. Yet the current way it seems to be setup means it keeps overwriting that "PINNO.OLD" file.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have managed to save my chat history on my laptop as an excel spread sheet for each of the different contacts. the issue I have is that you can see on what date it is but not the time the entry is made. does anyone perhaps know how to convert this information so it shows the date and time of the actual conversation.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

@bikermice: You are looking at "UNIX Time" from 01/01/1970 00:00 This guy has written a nice little script to clean up those dates for you using VB
    Notely: Blackberry Messenger Logs - Timestamp Format
    Notely: BBM Messenger Log Cleanup Script

First post explains the script, the second post includes the actual script.
    CrackBerry Newbie

i save the history which is in the "IM" folder on the phone onto my laptop but then they come up as bak files not csv files what am i doing wrong
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

Just rename the .bak files back to .csv and you are good to go.