Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How much data does BBM use?

I'm getting the Curve 9360 in a few days with '100MB Blackberry Data' so I'm just wondering does this allow me to use BBM? Also, how much of this will BBM use? As in each message? Someone told me if you have a BB data plan, BBM's don't use your data, you get unlimited messages... is this true? Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask

yes u can use bbm.....the amount depends on each user ....although it does not use very much at all......and bbm uses only data whether its unlimited depends on your carrier some do offer unlimited bbm as part of their package.....you would have to call and find out....never the less 100mb is lots if all you do is bbm it will also work via wifi.....
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

The only time I go over 100mb is if I'm browsing on my PlayBook using Bridge, other than that, BBM and Twitter for me don't use a lot of my Data
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

I tested this about a year ago, a typical short text bbm will use 2kb, photos are send in a 50kb photos no matter what the original size is.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    845 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A006EA

AFAIK, BB compresses all data even up to email... Data usage is minimal and 100mb should be enough for the average user.
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

It depends on how much you use it but as for BBM it will use the minimal data.. and 100mb is not much, but for BBM it's OK.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I can't give an exact reply but I am on a 'Pay As You Go' in the UK. When I go to France I don't make any changes to my plan. I hardly ever use it as a 'phone' so it's email and BBM A LOT and I am always shocked by how little my usage goes down. Last year I was in Arizona for about 17 days and again I used the phone every day on email and BBM. For the entire trip I used about 3 (approx US$5).
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    prlck

Default Android's Achilles heal?

It might be interesting to see how people in the emerging markets, going from BB to Android, react when they see the difference in data usage between the two ecosystems.

Android needs to get the new Smartphone users who won't have BB experience to compare against. They may just believe the Android data use is how all Smartphones are. I hope RIM marketing gets in there to let them know, data use does matter.
    BB; I get the call, I get the email, I get the TXT, I get the work, I get the money. I get it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Data usage

I have a Blackberry Curve 9360. It uses a lot of data and I run out in the middle of the month. How did you test your phone? I'd like to stop the processes that use too much data.
    CrackBerry Newbie

How much data does BBM use, and can I turn it off?