CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How Many kb's are in a typical BBM message?

I'm going to Cancun with some friends and we all have blackberries. I was just curious as to how many kilobytes are in a typical length bbm message? Data is charged by verizon as $.005 per kilobyte, while texts are $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive. I am assuming that using bbm would be cheaper but just want to make sure. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!
    CrackBerry Addict

With verizon you have to have a data plan so bbm would be free lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Time Lord

Global Posts
    10,331 Global Posts

Back when datamon worked on my old 8300, I checked that data for a BBM and it uses approx 2-5kb of data per message.
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

No they charge you for data usage while you are in Mexico. $.005 per KB
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    DoLoL Is A βeta Blocker

Good info Bla1ze I've often wondered how many kb per msg also.
    We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.
    Blackberry 101: Lecture Series|Memory Optimization|How To Recover A Dead Blackberry|Posting Rules|How to Search Forums
    CrackBerry User

I would be nervous to have data enabled in another country... I don't travel much, but if I went out of the country I'd probably want to turn data off. Remember e-mails, google sync, weatherbug, Viigo, etc... these things all use data in the background.

...Unless VZW can offer some sort of unlimited rate while I'm traveling... like $15 extra for that month or something.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Yeah, I would keep all of those applications closed. It'd just be the cheapest way to use bbm. Thanks Bla1ze!