Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default how to delete Blackberry Messenger?

On all other blackberrys I have messed with I was able to delete blackberry messenger just like any other application. On this torch though, I have tried to delete it from the phones application list, from the desktop manager and have tried to delete it during a device software upgrade.

In none of these situations was I able to remove it, the option is always greyed out. How can I delete blackberry messenger on my torch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    Kpete Lilian (12-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

BBM is now a Core app. Upgrade BBM from your device to the latest version off the m.bb.com website and it will shift to an add-on app. Then you can remove it.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, do you have time to do it twice?"
    Thanked by:
    purple_bb (09-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

THANKS! worked perfectly!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

No bbm??? Have you gone insane??

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA

Quote Originally Posted by ek9max View Post
    No bbm??? Have you gone insane??

Someone explain to me what makes BBM a great app? I would love to use it, but can't seem to get into it. What do people use it for? (besides the obvious duh, messaging)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Quote Originally Posted by soogriffin View Post
    Someone explain to me what makes BBM a great app? I would love to use it, but can't seem to get into it. What do people use it for? (besides the obvious duh, messaging)
    I agree. I think that it is a useless application unless ALL your friends are on BlackBerrys.

I delete it from each OS upgrade before I install by removing the file net_rim_bbapi_blackberrymessenger.cod from the Java folder
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

I always used to delete it from my 9000 to free up memory and stop memory leak. The only reason I'm keeping it on the Torch is because, well, I can now.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

It has its place. One nice feature is the ability to forward an entire thread (group and single) and the voice note feature.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

I only wish people I send MMS stuff to had a BB because BBM is also great for sending videos. You can send non-MMS (i.e., full quality) videos.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA

videos via BBM? Now that I could see is pretty useful.
    CrackBerry User

The fix discussed above does not work for the Storm 2. Any other ideas on how to remove it?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

Yes. Depending on your OS, BBM is now a core app thus it cannot be removed via the apps list. Go to the m.bb.com website and install BBM. This will make BBM an add-on app thus it can now be deleted via the applications list.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

you can also try shrink-a-os to remove it before you install the device software. i just used that on my 9700 yesterday when updating to the most recent software release, worked great, i had never used that program before but it is def very useful!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'd be happy to use it if I knew anyone with a blackberry! Everyone uses those inferior iPhones! One apple product which is not superior..
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by shansmi View Post
    Yes. Depending on your OS, BBM is now a core app thus it cannot be removed via the apps list. Go to the m.bb.com website and install BBM. This will make BBM an add-on app thus it can now be deleted via the applications list.

Thanks for the tip. Works perfectly.

Unfortunately as much as i like BBM my firms IT Policy disables it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by putaputa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shansmi View Post
    BBM is now a Core app. Upgrade BBM from your device to the latest version off the m.bb.com website and it will shift to an add-on app. Then you can remove it.
    Thanks for the tip. Works perfectly.

Unfortunately as much as i like BBM my firms IT Policy disables it.
    If you can tolerate a couple of questions or requests for clarification from a n00b (at least where the Torch is concerned):
    • I've seen a couple of references to m.bb.com in terms of installing BBM as a standalone application in order to delete it; but when I go there (on either the phone or my computer) I get a blank screen. What am I missing?
    • If I can't get the above step to work, is there a way to configure BBM so that it doesn't start automatically?
    I appreciate that some people rely on instant messaging and other social applications (my older daughter, from whom I acquired an 8310 a couple of years ago, is one such), but I'm kind of a hermit and I want as few applications as possible running in order to extend battery life.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice,
    BD
    CrackBerry Newbie

It's been a few months, so I'm not sure if you've already received a response, but in case you haven't already figured it out, the site is actually.....

m.blackberry.com

Once you're there, just follow the links to download the software. Click yes when your phone asks you if you want to replace the version installed on your phone. Once it's downloaded and installed, your phone will prompt you to reboot. Go ahead and reboot. Once you're back up and running, go to...

Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications

Scroll to Blackberry Messenger, press the menu (BB) key, and select Delete.

That should do it. Good luck!
    Thanked by:
    bruteforce037 (02-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    14,665 Global Posts

It's a nice app. But if you don't have many friends with a BB it's useless.
    pr1nce
    iMore Ambassador and Moderator
    Lyls likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by princebb View Post
    It's a nice app. But if you don't have many friends with a BB it's useless.
    I wouldn't say it's useless considering that you can use it to send messages to anybody, not just people with a blackberry. I use it for all my contacts, bb, android or iphone doesn't matter.
    CrackBerry User

Default Deleting BB Messenger

Thank you so much for this! I've been trying for months to do this very thing.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by soogriffin View Post
    well...i use it for the obvious...and also because i hate to talk on the phone...oh and i advertise alot with BCs LOL
    R.I.P. Grandpa
    DEC-16-1936 - AUG-10-2013
    CrackBerry Newbie

not sure if this is the right place to post this, as i don't really understand forums, if its not could someone point me in the right direction?

I updated blackberry messenger it worked for a few hours. Then i deleted a contact and a while later my battery died. So i charged it the next morning, when it turned on i got an error message something mentioned bbm java.lang nullpointersomethignorother. I clicked ok to get rid of the message, but then when i tried to go on BBM my phone froze, 5-10 minutes later it unfroze and the contact I had deleted was back in my contact list? Also the conversations i had opened were still there but the last hour or so of conversation had disappeared but the rest was still there. (I think is more a phone issue than an actual BBM specific one because this happens to my text messages and my Recent Calls every time my battery dies). So i do a few different resets multiple times, i go onto desktop manager to see if that will give me any help. Dont particularly do alot but once i finish it works fine. That was all yesterday. Today I'm now unable to even go onto BBM if i click on it it freezes a message comes up and once it unfreezes it sends me back to the home. screen. Im trying to delete BBM but my phone now wont connect to my computer going onto the applications list wont work. i can go on every options sscreen with no problem. as soon as i click applications it freezes kicks me out of options and says 'Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_options_app(283) is not responding; process terminated.'

Seriously frustrating because my phone is essentially useless.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Never used BBM myself. So I guess it's ok because I don't know what I'm missing

Deleted it on my Curve, because I had issues that could be solved doing this (probably batteries, it's been a while...) according to forum posts.

Well now I get a screen freezing issue with my Torch and deleted as many apps as I could, including BBM, which is quite memory consuming as I figured out.

Thank you so much for the tip on how to delete it! Without the upgrade, it was a core app and could not be deleted, certainly.

Now I cross my fingers that the freezing issue will vanish. It was getting to be quite a bugger, happening many times in an hour, and Torch is the phone I wanted among all other BBs. I would be really dissapointed if I had to return it for such an issue, and especially not getting it changed under warranty.

Hey, not my fault, many of us have the issue from what I can read...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Torch did not freeze at all this morning after deleting BBM and other unused apps, as well as many languages that I will never use either.

Did not even have to do a battery pull.

This is a good day!

Technology is supposed to help you save time, not waste it!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BrentonMcGhee View Post
    On all other blackberrys I have messed with I was able to delete blackberry messenger just like any other application. On this torch though, I have tried to delete it from the phones application list, from the desktop manager and have tried to delete it during a device software upgrade.

In none of these situations was I able to remove it, the option is always greyed out. How can I delete blackberry messenger on my torch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast