Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default help with my bbm on an 8520?

okay so basically i got my first ever blackberry just two days ago!! i'm a total n00b so sorry if all you experts out there have seen this question a lot.

i have been trying numerous times a day to access bb messenger as it came already installed on my phone. i got through the whole terms and conditions thing and tried to add a contact. it keeps saying "contact pending" or whatever next to everyone i've tried to add and they say they haven't recieved an invitation from me. also people have tried adding me and i haven't recieved an invitation either.

one friend said it was because i need to install the app onto my bb using desktop manager so i tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it a few times and i still keep on having the same problem. on every forum i've looked on it also says this but it's just not working.

any help or suggestions possible would be greatfully accepted!! but please keep it simple as like i said, the whole bb expirience is new to me
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,182 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for BBM pin.

Do you have a BIS data plan?
    http://twitter.com/Wackostu Pearl Flip>8520>9300>new 9300 (bad trackpad)>9900>iPhone4S +Playbook

"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." .....Tony Stewart

You cant hold no groove, if you aint got no pocket!.... Bootsy Collins

Bass Playing Blackberry/iPhone Addict Club Charter Member
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by RWWackoStu View Post
    Do you have a BIS data plan?
    I don't have a clue what that is...? Haha but would it come included with my contract?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,182 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for BBM pin.

Blackberry Internet service. IF you came to a Berry from a "dumb" phone you need to upgrade your old internet plan to a Blackberry internet plan.
    http://twitter.com/Wackostu Pearl Flip>8520>9300>new 9300 (bad trackpad)>9900>iPhone4S +Playbook

"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." .....Tony Stewart

You cant hold no groove, if you aint got no pocket!.... Bootsy Collins

Bass Playing Blackberry/iPhone Addict Club Charter Member
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by RWWackoStu View Post
    Blackberry Internet service. IF you came to a Berry from a "dumb" phone you need to upgrade your old internet plan to a Blackberry internet plan.
    Oh yeah I did all that, I totally upgraded my contract as the one I was on before my bb didn't have internet. I'm on my bb typing this now, I can go on facebook etc. via the actual internet browser but not through the fb app.
    I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with not being able to access apps that need internet connection?

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by violet2693 View Post
    Oh yeah I did all that, I totally upgraded my contract as the one I was on before my bb didn't have internet. I'm on my bb typing this now, I can go on facebook etc. via the actual internet browser but not through the fb app.
    I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with not being able to access apps that need internet connection?

Well that's the problem. You don't actually have the BlackBerry Internet Service activated.
    Go to your wallpaper screen and look at the top right corner. If it says "gprs" or "edge" in lower case, the service isn't activated yet.
    The BlackBerry Internet Service is what makes these phones worth it: it combines the email, the social networking, with the immediateness of push.
    Talk to your carrier, or, if your friend is on the same carrier, ask him how he got around it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talk to your service provider if you can't solve it.
    Try registering your HRT's by:
    (From wallpaper screen) [Blackberry Key] then down to Options (the Spanner/Wrench) >> Advanced Options >> Host Routing Tables (click on it!) >> [BB Key] Register Now.

If this has worked, you will get a Text or email though from the BB Internet Service telling you that you are registered. If you dont get one..... panic! (no, im joking)

Try going (from wallpaper screen) [BB key] >> Set Up >> Email Setup

It should let you set up an email address and link it to your BB. If it doesnt, CALL YOUR NETWORK!!

Hope it helps

Oatmeal