Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By AJotr
  • 2 Post By AJotr
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Free BB Email Alternative? SOLVED

UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED. Recommend "LogicMail."

FYI - tried Picomail - not impressed
    Last edited by AJotr; 03-20-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: solved problem
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

You mean like GMAIL, Yahoo or Hotmail?

These are already integrated with BIS.
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B39348D

Are they charging ONLY for the email and not the BlackBerry Internet Service?
    CrackBerry Newbie

I don't think PicoWireless (maker of PicoMail) is out of business, I'm just getting version 3.0 ready for release

The install is straightforward -- visit http://picowireless.com/wap from your BlackBerry's WAP browser, click on the appropriate install link and, voila, that should be that.
    Thanked by:
    AJotr (03-20-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_X View Post
    Are they charging ONLY for the email and not the BlackBerry Internet Service?
    Well, the OP doesn't list the carrier used, or where they are from, but I assume it's somewhere that BIS is an extra charge. It is that way pretty much everywhere in the world except in the US and Canada. And in some places, a very expensive add-on.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks for the input.
    Yes I am in the USA and yes its for BIS (I am slowly learning the lingo) for which I refuse to pay an additional fee when I just shelled out $$ for the Blackberry phone itself.

Bit by bit I am circumventing the BIS system and finding alternate solutions.
    Yes the BIS aspects I am referring to here are for Browser, Email, and a few other levels of functionality.
    My whole goal is to NOT use the BIS at all if possible (or as little as possible - i.e. BB App Store which is free).

I ended up using LogicMail for my POP email - works pretty well, quite basic but just what I needed. For my non-BIS Browser I am now using Opera Mini. Both LogicMail and Opera Mini work without BIS just fine.

Unfortunately I downloaded a few apps that need BIS so I will have to let go of those non-necessities. Also called my carrier (T-Mobile) and had them talk me through resetting the APN in the TCP/IP controls - that seems to be necessary for using alternate, non-BIS browsers like Opera Mini. My carrier tech support had no issues at all with helping me change the settings so I do not have to use BIS.

Been reading about hacking BIS for greater functionality but it all seems to come down to changing the APN so you can use the BB Browser. Problem is (if I am not mistaken) that if you re-assign the BB Browser then getting to the BB App Store to work properly is more difficult. So I am settling quite happily with Opera Mini for normal browsing and keeping BB Browser strictly for BB App Store.

If anyone knows of any further BIS hacks that are truly useful (i.e. a LOT of the BIS hacks are for nothing more than freeing up the Browser), then I would enjoy hearing your suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up on Picowireless.com - just checked it out and it looks GREAT - will look into it further.
    Last edited by AJotr; 03-19-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: mistakes
    CrackBerry Genius

Okay, now I'm confused.

What carrier are you on.

Here in the US, all the major carriers (like AT&T, T-Mobile, etc...) and many of the regional carriers provide BIS automatically with the regular data plan at no extra cost.

And really, to make full use of a BB, you really need BIS as most function require it. If you don't want it, maybe a BB just isn't for you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B39348D

All major carriers offer the BIS data plan at no extra cost.

I'm guessing the OP is on pre-paid since they charge an additional $10 for BIS.

To which I say (If it is only a $10 added fee), why stray away from such a minscule fee.

Your Blackberry is kinda pointless without BIS since most apps require it.

I don't see the point of hacking BIS.

If you want to avoid it at all cost?

Well, you can't.

You can offload onto Wi-Fi, but that automatically switches you to BIS.

Tough luck, buddy.
    Believe in BlackBerry, fool!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Ok lets make this short and sweet:

1) Yes you CAN absolutely circumnavigate the BIS - I just completed doing it JUST FINE and my Torch 9800 is working JUST FINE. Don't be another "BB dogma spewing sheep" - half of the people on this site have "illegally" unlocked their phones so working around the system is half of why we are here in the first place. Being some ridiculous BB hardliner is more for people over on "blackberryforums" - head there and keep spewing "All hail mighty BB that cannot be changed" beliefs - they will love you for that. The name of this form is CRACKberry, as in Crack The Code - c'mon....think about it... I know you can do it...

2) Believe it or not it really is appreciated when you STAY ON TOPIC FOR A CHANGE - it shows greater intelligence. The ORIGINAL TOPIC was merely asking for AN ALTERNATE EMAIL PROGRAM. Thats all. It was not an invitation for anyone to shout out rabid pro-BB/BIS/RIM dogma. Thanks but take it somewhere else.

3) I have completed my original task to completely avoid BIS - if anyone wants to know how I did it (its really not that hard at all - you just have to do some research) then PM me. And for the record, I do not consider an additional $120 a year to be "some miniscule fee" when I just shelled out big bucks for the phone itself and no other phone maker has such a ridiculous practice. You could say I was duped as no one told me ahead of time about the BIS fee. If you want to pay that fee that's your business - I consider it basically evil. THAT SAID, now that my phone is doing exactly what I want it to do, I do think its a lovely phone.

4) Have a nice day.
    Last edited by AJotr; 03-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    hmahony and shazgreenhalgh like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B39348D

I have AT&T, I never pay an extra $10 fee.

Blah blah blah.
    I'll stop feeding the wolves.

You're pretty angry for a CB user, sheesh.
    CrackBerry Genius

I'm also on AT&T and don't pay extra for BIS. My wife has the iPhone and we both pay the same $30 a month data plan (grandfathered unlimited plan). But because mine is a BlackBerry, I get the BIS data. Yet I pay not 1 cent more for it. It's just a feature of the plan.

But, if you got everything working like App World, BB maps or Google Maps (if you even use them), then great.

Actually, I did get sidetracked from your original topic. I also missed that you did mention that T-Mobile is your carrier. Never heard that BIS was extra for them. Unless, as Joshua_X says, you are doing pre-paid. I did think of LogicMail, and considered trying that myself just for some of its other features.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Tiggit Mail also works at $30.
    CrackBerry User

Best option to get email withou BIS or BES is Logic Mail! Its free and works just fine!
    BerrySocialBr - Para Viciados em BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

ok you all promise to stay on topic and I will promise to chill-out. LOL

Tried Tiggit Mail - cannot recall what I did not like about it, but I know that I uninstalled it IMMEDIATELY (e.g. not a good review) - then again maybe it was just that it was not a free program as pointed out above.

Yes LOGIC MAIL is my first choice at this point - free, easy to set up, no BS.

And fyi - yes I do have pay-as-you go, and so yes perhaps that is why they wanted to charge me a fee.

Peace out.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default @AJotr

Could you please share steps to avoid BIS? T-mobile is blocking TCP-IP over 3G that is why I am not able use Logic mail on 3G. However it does work very well on wifi.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Default @ krunalnpatel

Ok here is what I did, but let me own up to a few things first:

1) First and foremost I am seriously NOT impressed with Blackberry. My Torch 9800 was my 1st BB and it will be my last. You can now buy a snap-on slider keyboard for the iPhone so we got one and I am going to see if I like it enough to move to iPhone. I also found out that my favorite phone maker, PALM, was bought by HP and that up until 2011 they continued making phones, some of which look very cool (Palm invented the PDA and their basic Calendar/Contacts/Organizer is the best of all the phones I have ever seen - fyi I am a business user and heard BB was "the businessman's phone" - huge disappointment there).

2) Logic Mail - well I can receive emails, but when it comes to sending there is something wrong with the SMTP server settings. Tried many options, even wrote to the inventor of Logic Mail and he had no idea why it was doing that. That was kind of the last straw with me.

3) Now, all that aside, certain BIS programs it seems cannot be turned off (sucking up valuable battery, yes). This appears to include the Phone app, BB Messenger, BB Browser, & "Messages". No matter how many times they are switched off, they turn themselves back on. THIS DOES NOT MEAN you need to use or sign up for ANY of these annoying programs with BIS. And the "Messages" actually comes in handy as a general catch-all for notifications on the phone itself (missed calls, missed texts, etc) - it wants you to sign up for a higher level of BIS service but that is not necessary.

4) For email some people like Picomail - I found it to be too bland, but after the SMTP problems maybe it is a good way to go. Too bad - when my BB successfully received an Incoming email I was very happy to bypass the BB BIS email servers. Because THAT IS WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO: Avoiding the BIS Servers. BB phones seem to be wired to "want" to use BIS Servers.

5) I have T-Mobile, but this works for ATT too, and you can find the directions online too. I actually called the T-Mobile Customer Service and they talked me through this: Go to Options / Device / Advanced System Settings / TCP IP.
    Once in there change your settings as follows (for T-Mobile)
    -- APN Settings Enabled YES (checked)
    -- APN: epc.tmobile.com (you can just place the cursor next to the text to overwrite it - ATT probably has their own setting here)
    -- APN Authentication Enabled: NO (not checked - but I wonder if that is affecting the Authentication of the SMTP...???)
    -- Username / Password for APN: LEAVE BOTH BLANK (erase whats there for both)

Just doing those steps above GREATLY frees up the phone. Certain apps are locked into the BIS Servers, but most are not.

6) Opera Mini - that is your new browser. Download it and get used to it. Its not bad.
    DO NOT UNINSTALL the BB Browser however - you need that for the BB App World. So basically you save BB Browser and tolerate its always-open state so you can download apps.

7) Text Messages - the native BB Text Messages app works fine without BB BIS.

8) Contacts, Calendar, MemoPad & Tasks (the other main business tools) will work with Other Programs besides BB Desktop. A LOT of people sync these with Outlook. Mark/Space makes a program called "Missing Sync" that would be AWESOME for Syncing on a Mac that did not have Outlook if Missing Sync was 100% reliable. Unfortunately Missing Sync has a small 5% or so failure rate (lost contacts, lost tasks, lost calendar dates) that makes it Unacceptable for my needs. Too bad that.

9) APPLE MAC warning: Writing from your MAC to the BB (computer overwrites handheld) works pretty well with the BB Desktop except that the Memo feature is locked into Apple Mail Notes (WEAK!!!). HOWEVER, writing from the BB to the Mac (Sync both ways - the normal option - or "Handheld overwrites computer") causes a whole slew of nastiness. For example if your iCal has color coded categories then BB will place a second copy of EVERY ITEM in its own grey or singular color, and it will for some strange reason ERASE items in the far future as though its saying "well I cannot do that so I will erase them"). Ugh.

10) Skype - the best I found is "Imo Instant Messenger" which works fine with Skype (and other chat programs too). Skype does not make an app for BB at this time.

11) BB "Manage Connections" / Mobile Network Options
    Device settings ON
    While roaming ON
    Network Selection: Automatic
    Network Mode: 2G & 3G

12) OK maybe you know this already but here goes:
    The Big 3G / 4G MYTH - "3G & 4G will work anywhere!" (*cough cough um brllsht*)
    In the USA anyway, 3G and 4G is tied to a given carrier, and the phones THAT carrier makes are the ONLY phones who can use THAT particular 3G / 4G. My phone was an ATT phone before I had it unlocked so I (and anyone else using an unlocked non T-mobile phone on the T-mobile network) is limited to "edge/EDGE & 2G." True I get unlimited data using that, but big downloads or streaming vids are not going to happen.

WORK AROUND: if you leave your WiFi "OPEN / ON" (BB "Manage Connections" and also clicking on the very top of the main home screen) it will seek open WiFi networks as you move around - for example at certain coffeeshops or Starbucks, etc. The OPERA browser and all net-using apps that are NOT tied to the BIS servers will sail smoothly on WiFi.
    But honestly even with the limitations of normal phone service, looking up movies or doing a google search (NOT using the "BB Google app" but instead using Opera to open the normal Google.com) worked perfectly fine on 2G / EDGE.

13) The following programs I could turn off and never use because they were either tied to the BB BIS servers or else the program was garbage anyway. I dumped these into a folder called "BB OFF" because as I discovered uninstalling BB software from the phone itself could mess things up (like when I deleted the BB Browser and had to do a HARD RESET and start over to fix things)....
    Visual Voicemail (needs BIS)
    Saved Messages (BIS email)
    Compose (BIS email)
    Voice Dialing (not a single one dialed correctly after 50 tries - 100% FAIL)

14) Lastly I was happy to find out that here on Crackberry.com you can download a HEAP of ringtones and wallpapers for FREE.
    On a Mac you just install the ringtones via BB Desktop "Music" & iTunes, and the Wallpapers via BB Desktop "Pictures" & iPhoto.

So yeah overall the BB Torch 9800 just does not even come close to the smooth, untethered sailing of my old Treo 680. Sad that. I really had high hopes for BB.

Nonetheless I hope this list of what I did can help you or someone else continue to crack the darn BB phones until we can utterly and totally bend them to our needs in a non-BB-hostage manner. BB Phones need a good solid Jailbreak.

If anyone has surpassed what I wrote above with even greater success, by all means Post Here!

Peace out.
    Thanked by:
    engert (08-24-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Free BB Email Alternative? (*not PicoMail - their site is down*)

I've got the browser working on my Blackberry Storm by switching the Blackberry to Legacy mode and using a custom service book. I'm also using Logic Mail for mail. Only problem is-- I cant MMS. I dont have AT&T anymore, so their service books won't work (I'm using Straight Talk). I'm wondering if someone has figured out a way to make it work for MMS, or if there's a third party app that will push MMS through the normal TCP channel?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJotr View Post
    Ok lets make this short and sweet:

1) Yes you CAN absolutely circumnavigate the BIS - I just completed doing it JUST FINE and my Torch 9800 is working JUST FINE. Don't be another "BB dogma spewing sheep" - half of the people on this site have "illegally" unlocked their phones so working around the system is half of why we are here in the first place. Being some ridiculous BB hardliner is more for people over on "blackberryforums" - head there and keep spewing "All hail mighty BB that cannot be changed" beliefs - they will love you for that. The name of this form is CRACKberry, as in Crack The Code - c'mon....think about it... I know you can do it...

2) Believe it or not it really is appreciated when you STAY ON TOPIC FOR A CHANGE - it shows greater intelligence. The ORIGINAL TOPIC was merely asking for AN ALTERNATE EMAIL PROGRAM. Thats all. It was not an invitation for anyone to shout out rabid pro-BB/BIS/RIM dogma. Thanks but take it somewhere else.

3) I have completed my original task to completely avoid BIS - if anyone wants to know how I did it (its really not that hard at all - you just have to do some research) then PM me. And for the record, I do not consider an additional $120 a year to be "some miniscule fee" when I just shelled out big bucks for the phone itself and no other phone maker has such a ridiculous practice. You could say I was duped as no one told me ahead of time about the BIS fee. If you want to pay that fee that's your business - I consider it basically evil. THAT SAID, now that my phone is doing exactly what I want it to do, I do think its a lovely phone.

4) Have a nice day.

I agree with you 100%!!! As I too have overcome the need for BIS!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts

Okay, please be kind to the newbie. I have a 9670 Style on Boost and I'm wondering if these email suggestions work on a CDMA device. I've had just about everything under the sun (OS-wise) and I've had to go with the BB simply because I can't type on a piece of glass to save my life and I really like the form factor.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Avoiding Blackberry BIS

After reading many posts about avoiding blackberry BIS fees or whatever, the prepaid comapnies do charge you an extra ten dollars when they have it available...example Simple Mobile, $50 gets you everything 4g unlimited and BIS for your blackberry and in my Areas is as good as any of the major carriers signal with out drops.

However the niaeve people who say they arent paying extra (Verizon, ATT, etc.) for their BIS services actually are paying extra....it is integrated in the price of ALL cell plans so everyone is PAYING for BIS whether they have a blackberry or not.

I would rather pay $50 a month for for a BIS plan or even $40 using the other blackberry options which work well..The only advantage of BIS is app world...as some people use B.B messenger...I dont..and hardly anyone else does. SO before someone posts"I use it"...already stated some do, most of us dont need it.

Those paying $70-$85 plans the other people are paying for their "free" BIS are crazy. No phone is free or discounted and no optional services the big carrier have to pay for is free...you still pay for it in the plan...again they integrated in price point it so you dont know the difference its simply marketing strategies.

I would say with my plan I am saving around $360 a year from most people...and if you want circumvent the BIS service which I have also done thats a saving of $480 a year.....thats substantial.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Those service books are hard to find...I have a blackberry on page plus all features including mms. just make sure you check your browser push settings are on in the setting under browser as if they are off which they sometimes are...that will stop you from mms properly
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default free blckberry email

hi
    how are you
    hope you are well

can you tell me how to set alternative, i would love to have my emails on blackberry, but i dont want to pay monthly fee, i am in the uk, would intructions be the same as the usa

thanks helen
    CrackBerry User

Hi Dan,
    I was wondering did you ever get a solutions for MMS working on your phone or where u able to get an app? I currently have 8520 and I can't send MMS.
    I also going to take everyone's advise and use Logic mail I think, as I am also trying to avoid the whole BIS situation. With Vodafone I was being charged 90 cent a day on charges for BIS, sure I never had any credit. I just changed networks to go conquer and it's great but I need to set everything up on my BB without BIS services. I just downloaded opera mini and I was trying to set this up as my default browser but apparently u can't do this.
    Thanks
    Shaz
    CrackBerry User

There are lots of people with Blackberrys on prepaid plans that do not include BIS unless you are on a higher plan. Myself being one of them. You can stay locked into an AT&T contract if you like, but some of us don't want the whole contract thing. The last contract that I signed got me sent to Kuwait.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default WARNING: LogicMail deletes msgs on email servers unconditionally after being deleted on Blackberry

I just downloaded and installed both the current and prior versions of Logicmail 2.2.085 and .081. I also have a Galaxy Note 2. The Galaxy note 2 has an option to delete from server which is turned off. I set all delete options off on Logicmail. When I delete from the Note 2, the server msgs are not removed. When I delete using my 9780 BB, those specific messages get deleted 100% of the time, but only after a few minutes, on both Juno and IINet email servers. This indicates the issue is most likely with Logicmail. This makes Logicmail very frustrating (and dangerous for me and you?) since my desktop can't pick up the emails removed from the server at that point.
    HTH!