Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default email and calendar setup

When I run email setup the only choice I have is: "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" huh, what does that mean? Can't I configure it for a POP server, or one of my web based email accout like Yahoo, or gmail?

I also use Google's Calendar and I have a iCalendar plugin sitting on my desktop that will sync the two, well actually the three, because I use a Samsung Android phone as well and I would also like to sync my Blackberry. That is 4 calendars happily syncing in four-part harmony, or am I sunk if I try to do this?
    Last edited by lunaray; 04-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

That message typically means that you have a BlackBerry that was previously used on BlackBerry Enterprise Server and still has an IT Policy on it that restricts your ability to create personal email accounts. If you bought your BlackBerry used, you can use the Remove IT Policy function in the latest version of Desktop Manager to remove the IT Policy. If this is your work device, you should not remove the IT Policy. If you do, the removal will be detected the next time you log onto your work account, the IT Policy will be pushed back, and you could get in trouble for violating security.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks Jeff,is there a way to

I'm retired and I aquired this phone for personal use, I bought it on ebay and it was described as being "Seller Refurbished" and ready for use on an AT&T network. I have the Blackberry Desktop Manager software installed but I can't use it 'cause I'm waitng for the data cable to come in the mail. Is there a way to remove the IT Policy from the phone itself? There are some other things about it that seem peculiar, like missing menu items and SMS text messages don't recognise hyper links, could this also be related to the IT policy?

Ray
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

The IT Policy is likely responsible for the missing functions and features. I don't know any way to remove it without using a PC. However, there's nothing special about the USB cable that connects a BlackBerry to a PC. Any USB-to-microUSB cable you've got around the house will do.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I found another thread here about someone having a similar problem with a 9000 that he had purchased used and he was told to maeuver to Security and "Wipe Handheld", which would reset the phone back to the factory defaults and this worked for him, so I tried it! It went through the reset process, wiped out all of my contacts and settings that I had made (I expected this), then it restarted and took me through the setup like it was a brand new phone, but when it got to the email setup, same problem as before! Guess I'll have to wait and see if the Magement software works, or maybe AT&T can help?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

You don't have any USB cables?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,146 Global Posts

To the OP, do you have a BLACKBERRY Data Plan?

The message "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" is typically indicative of not having the proper data plan active for the device.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    To the OP, do you have a BLACKBERRY Data Plan?

The message "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" is typically indicative of not having the proper data plan active for the device.
    I have a data plan, but it's not specifically a Blackberry data plan, it's the plan that AT&T added when I upgraded to a Samsung Android phone.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    You don't have any USB cables?
    I have one that fits, but I don't know where it came from, but I tried it anyway and the driver install failed and left me with an "unkown device" that I can't get rid of! Then I was told in another thread that there's a difference between a data cable and a charging cable, so I've ordered an OEM data cable to be sure that I'm using the right cable.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Charging cables are not common. They have the same four pins, they just don't connect the data lines, so all they can do is charge your device. A normal USB cable connects both data and power. That the driver install started is proof that you have a normal cable. If you had plugged your device in with a charging-only cable, your computer would not have detected a new device and attempted to load the driver. Another cable isn't going to solve your problem.

I'm not sure how to remove the "unknown device." I'd try reinstalling and see what happens.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lunaray View Post
    I have a data plan, but it's not specifically a Blackberry data plan, it's the plan that AT&T added when I upgraded to a Samsung Android phone.
    You need to change your data plan to a BlackBerry specific plan. The plan you had with the Android isn't the proper plan.

Once you have the proper plan, you will get the Personal Email Setup option.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B681AED

Quote Originally Posted by lunaray View Post
    Then the data plan you have is not relevant as it allows no access to the RIM noc.

You may want to ignore JeffH until you get an appropriate data plan.
    No such thing as too many backups. Remember that.
    -= Back in Black =-
    Sorry I left you for 3 months.........
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Well I got my cable problem resolved, don't know why but I guess my computer didn't like the way I was connecting/disconnecting my phone, I was leaving the USB end plugged in and using the phone end of the cable to break or make the connection, I assumed that if nothing was connected it was just an open circuit and it wouldn't matter, guess not!

So anyway, the drivers are installed correctly now and my OS is updated to 5.0. I deleted the policy even though it said there were no services running, And then it did a system wipe again, But still the same problem, so I guess I'll have to call AT&T and ask them about this Blacberry version of the data plan. This confuses me, I've never heard of a Samsung Data Plan, or a Motorola Data Plan, Blackberry is the only phone I've heard of wit's own Data Plan
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,146 Global Posts

BlackBerry devices work differently than other devices.

Get the proper data plan and you will get the Personal Email setup option.
    Banned

You need to have a data plan, it should work if you have a data plan.

If you still experience problems try reinstalling the OS.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Default Resolved

I called AT&T and they converted my data plan from vanilla to Blackberry and now I have email account choices. Thanks to all of you who have chimed in to give me a hand, you guys are great!

Ray
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default IT Policy disabled, still no option to add webmail

I followed this thread to reset factory settings on my device, this disabled the IT policy but in the Email Setup there is still only one option of "I want to use a work email account with a BB Enterprise server". This is NOT what I want to do and I have read (and have seen screenshots) of other devices offering a second option, IMAP, POP. How do I get this option available to me?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,146 Global Posts

Do you have a BLACKBERRY Data Plan?

Typically, seeing on the "Enterprise Email" setup option is indicative of not having the proper data plan (BIS) setup for the device. Note that typically it is not indicative of the device having an IT Policy.

Get the proper data plan and you will get the "Personal (or Internet)" email setup option.