CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't restore by BBM contact list :(

I have tried restoring using email, it gets stuck after the second tick. It doesn't reach the retrieving contact list step. If I exit BBM and renter, my display name and picture are there but I have zero contacts. I deregistered and reregistered multiple email addresses but still no luck.

I have also tried restoring from a local backup. I get my contact list but it doesn't update my PIN on other's devices so when I send them a message it asks me to re-invite or delete them.

I also tried using the device switch wizard, but again it is not updating my PIN on other's devices.

I've wiped my new torch multiple times in between. I don't know what else to do. Is RIM having problems with their restore servers? Or is this just a torch problem? A few of the people I know with torches had the same issue. I was able to help them but not myself!!!

Thanks in advance
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

The process is not instant especially if you have groups. Most likely the restoration messages are hung up in your SPAM folder out on the server. This will cause things to fail for sure. If they are there move them to your inbox or setup a spam rule to not block that domain and try another restoration.

You can also try a selective restoration of only BBM data via a backup taken with Desktop Manager.

If all of this does not correct the issue, you will have to start over.

I have had similar issues and I will say this is a BBM backup/restore issue and not a device specific issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Actually, the issue seems to be a little more complex.

I have a Torch running .337. When I tried BBM's "restore using email" function when I first purchased the device, it worked flawlessly and restored all my contacts.

I had to send the device to tech service due to a mechanical issue, in the meantime I used 9000 bold with the same address and the bbm contact list. This morning, when I got the Torch back, I tried to restore using email but the phone got stuck at "Please try again later. You are currently being registered with the Blackberry service".

I've restored all my BBM contacts using Desktop Manager, however when I try to send a message to any of them, BBM tells me that contact does not have me in his/her list (which I confirmed not to be the case with multiple contacts).

So, in order to communicate with the people in my BBM, I have to add every single one of them again.

Any comment, advice, or reference for further support would be much appreciated.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's in my pocket.

I just got mine to restore after a day of fooling with it. I don't know why it just started working, but give it a shot?
    Bold 9700 6.0.0.418 (Finally!)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Jgould, what exactly did you do to solve the issue? I logged into my BIS account, removed my email address, re-added it, and re-synchronized my calendar and contacts. The last action may be irrelevant, but I thought the previous ones were worth giving a shot.

I can now send the verification email for remote recovery. However, I can see the verification email in my Gmail account but not on my device. Thus, recovery does not start.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by tolgaes View Post
    Jgould, what exactly did you do to solve the issue? I logged into my BIS account, removed my email address, re-added it, and re-synchronized my calendar and contacts. The last action may be irrelevant, but I thought the previous ones were worth giving a shot.

I can now send the verification email for remote recovery. However, I can see the verification email in my Gmail account but not on my device. Thus, recovery does not start.
    I used App World and reinstalled BBM and then tried it. The first time is failed. The second time it worked (I was half asleep so it may have been more than that...)

CrackBerry Newbie

I tried that too. Didn't work. I think its a widespread issue; I've browsed through a couple of forums and many similar complaints have been made in the last couple of days.

If anyone has an update, please let us know.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's in my pocket.

I would just keep trying. I had tried it not five minutes before and it didn't work, so I can't really explain it... It was acting like the servers that handled the restore feature were offline...