Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Branta
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question BBM Works Over WiFi ?

Guys... I cannot find a Clear answer 2 this one. Does BBM work over Wifi? These are the answer's I have gotten. 1) No BBM does not work over wifi, it needs to go threw RIM's Servers. 2) Yes BBM does work over Wifi. 3) You need the service books to have it work. What is the case? I am here with a friend with 2 Sprint 9930's both have service interruptions (Please Contact customer support) 1 BBM still works and the other BBM does not.(Both on Wifi) 1 was always on the other was switched off. What I have found out is that if you loose service and switch to Wifi and DO NOT power off the phone (Which might cause you to loose the Service Book's) BBM will still work. If you power off the device and back on and turn on Wifi BBM will NOT work... WHY??? I have proof that 1 works on wifi and 1 does not, same phone same plan. I would just like to know the answer Thanks in advance
    1994 Nokia 2110, 1996 Star Tec, 2001 Sanyo SCP 5150, Motorola TalkAbout t900 2002 SideKick 2003 Treo 600, BlackBerry 7280, Nokia 3300. 2004 Sanyo PM8200, BlackBerry 7100t. 2005 BlackBerry 7100i, Sanyo MM5600. 2006 Samsung A940, A920. 2007 BlackBerry 8800, 8130, Nokia N95, BlackBerry 8300, 8350i. 2008 Treo 800w, BlackBerry 9630. 2009 Palm Pree, BlackBerry 8530. 2011 BlackBerry 9900. 2012Nokia Lumia 900 Nokia 808 PureView. 2013 BLACKBERRY Z10
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

As long as you have an active Blackberry data plan BBM will work over wifi.
    CrackBerry User

I have an unlocked Storm 2 and BBM works through WIFI without the SIM card installed.
    Thanked by:
    recompile (12-07-2011) 

All BIS services will work over a pure WiFi link. I have used BBM and email over a WiFi-satellite connection from ships at sea, and offshore oil installations where the nearest cellular signal with RIM service was hundreds of miles away. It will not make any difference if you pull the battery and reboot the phone, it will still work when the phone restarts - and reboot should NOT lose Service Books unless the phone is defective.

OTOH you might have problems using some (usually) business owned WiFi if a firewall restricts available ports and protocols. Access to only port 80 for http won't let you connect to RIM servers.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry User

Interesting responses. Thank u
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    650 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by branta View Post
    All BIS services will work over a pure WiFi link. I have used BBM and email over a WiFi-satellite connection from ships at sea, and offshore oil installations where the nearest cellular signal with RIM service was hundreds of miles away. It will not make any difference if you pull the battery and reboot the phone, it will still work when the phone restarts - and reboot should NOT lose Service Books unless the phone is defective.

OTOH you might have problems using some (usually) business owned WiFi if a firewall restricts available ports and protocols. Access to only port 80 for http won't let you connect to RIM servers.
    But this is all IF big IF you have a BIS or BES account. The only way to get a BIS account is if a carrier setup one for you as a data plan.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM for it :)

Back in the day, BBM didnt work with WiFi right? Or am i wrong? :P
    MmmMMmm. I'm Bold baby.

Follow me on Twitter!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by b_boy2143 View Post
    Back in the day, BBM didnt work with WiFi right? Or am i wrong? :P
    It worked as far as I can remember, it worked on my first 8320 and my wife's Pearl 8120, both had UMA too.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Default Unlocked Blackberry and BBM

To get BBM to work you need a BIS account (it's working using the PIN # of your Blackberry)

So simply it will work - if you have a Blackberry data plan.
    Unlocking your Blackberry is making it free for use with other SIM cards from all GSM carriers.. but you need a Blackberry data plan from your carrier to get BBM to work over WIFI.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Yes it works
    I have used bbm over wifi with mobile network off

Quote Originally Posted by ThePoisonBerry View Post
    But this is all IF big IF you have a BIS or BES account. The only way to get a BIS account is if a carrier setup one for you as a data plan.
    This is irrelevant to the topic. The OP asked explicitly about BBM, which requires RIM data. If a BIS or BES account does not exist (BB data plan if you want to call it that...) it doesn't matter whether cellular and/or Wifi services are available, BBM will not work.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    296309C0

The answer to the question is yet not clear>>
    please give accurate anwer-- yes or no?
    CrackBerry Abuser

No. Wifi only, no
    CrackBerry Newbie

i have BB curve 8520, does Ppm works over Wifi?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hager Hazem View Post
    i have BB curve 8520, does Ppm works over Wifi?