Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 174
Like Tree20Likes
  1. mphillips828's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Smile BBM without BIS?

    Hey so I just watched the Monday Brief...and Ashley mentioned that when diving around the Dev Alpha device they seemed to find BBM running or able to run without BIS..

    Anyone know anything about this, and why hasnt this been covered on CrackBerry main page, because its a big deal if true!
  2. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #2  

    Default

    Yes, they were able to receive BBM PIN requests, but I wasn't sure if they had full use of BBM without a BIS plan. Apparently, that is the direction RIM seems to be going.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 05-14-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: left out a word...'had'
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  3. mphillips828's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    Yes, they were able to receive BBM PIN requests, but I wasn't sure if they full use of BBM without a BIS plan. Apparently, that is the direction RIM seems to be going.
    That is amazing...definitely allows for more consumer friendly products I think, and PlayBook would be able to use BBM without a data plan as well (natively i mean)
  4. calicocat2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,881 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,905 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default BBM without BIS?

    Cool, that would certainly lower costs of the phone bill since data plans cost 15-45 a month.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
  5. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #5  

    Default

    Well, just because Alpha devices are able to access BBM without a BIS Plan, doesn't mean that it will always work that way, or that the BBDP charge may go the way of the dinosaur.

    Just take a wait and see approach, hopefully RIM will figure it out, cause once they do, we'll probably see it on the PB soon after.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  6. greatwiseone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,799 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I really hope BIS is going to be out the door for BB10. There's no need for BIS from a consumer stand point. When iMesage, Gtalk, Whatsapp, etc. are all available for free (or with one time payment for Whatsapp), RIM can't make people pay to use BBM...
  7. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,002 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    I really hope BIS is going to be out the door for BB10. There's no need for BIS from a consumer stand point. When iMesage, Gtalk, Whatsapp, etc. are all available for free (or with one time payment for Whatsapp), RIM can't make people pay to use BBM...
    Nobody pays for BBM, it's free with your data plan.
  8. Fubaz's Avatar
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,241 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Nobody pays for BBM, it's free with your data plan.
    *facepalm*
    everyone pays for it, its INCLUDED in the cost of the data plan
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview

    We don't BEND, WE BLEND #TeamBlackBerry
  9. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    I really hope BIS is going to be out the door for BB10. There's no need for BIS from a consumer stand point.
    BIS is more than just BBM. It allows for true push email and other push notifications, data efficient web browsing, security, longer battery life, etc. So yes, as a consumer, I'd like to have BIS.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Thanked by 2:
    jonathon.94 (05-14-2012),  qbnkelt (05-14-2012) 
    qbnkelt, Alex_Hong and BB10FTW like this.
  10. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,002 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fubaz View Post
    *facepalm*
    everyone pays for it, its INCLUDED in the cost of the data plan
    Android data plan - 5/month no bbm
    Iphone data plan - 5/month no bbm
    BIS data plan - 5/month with bbm

    BBM is free the same way iMessage is free
  11. greatwiseone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,799 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    BIS is more than just BBM. It allows for true push email and other push notifications, data efficient web browsing, security, longer battery life, etc. So yes, as a consumer, I'd like to have BIS.
    Problem is that the current BIS structure creates problems when you scale (i.e. when the BB infrastructure collapsed back late last year). I'm pretty sure RIM's got some ideas on how to implement the data efficient browsing without having everything being routed through the NOC's. Like the PlayBook, I don't think BB10 will leverage the RIM infrastructure the way BIS currently operates. It'll still use RIM's architecture for some things (managing email, contacts, etc.) though, and it'll be interesting to see what they do...
  12. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Android data plan - 5/month no bbm
    Iphone data plan - 5/month no bbm
    BIS data plan - 5/month with bbm

    BBM is free the same way iMessage is free
    No, it isn't. It may be included, but why would some carriers charge 5/month for BBM use?
    Included in the cost does not mean it is free.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  13. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    Problem is that the current BIS structure creates problems when you scale (i.e. when the BB infrastructure collapsed back late last year).
    On average, service outages are extremely rare, maybe once a year or so. The last outage was a major mess-up that RIM hopefully learned from. Thinking economically, something that I can't use for maybe two days out of the calender year on average is worth something that I can benefit from the other 362 days.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  14. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    No, it isn't. It may be included, but why would some carriers charge 5/month for BBM use?
    Because most carriers like to nickle and dime their customers... Think of Caller ID or voice mail. Some carriers offer it for free, while others charge for it. It's not so much a matter of whether it costs the carriers anything (something like enabling Caller ID costs them nothing), but rather if people are willing to pay for it.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    jayemmbee likes this.
  15. Magnetic_dud's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    708 Posts
    Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    i hope BIS is not needed in BB10.
    If you want BIS, you can't get the best plans, in my country.
  16. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Because most carriers like to nickle and dime their customers... Think of Caller ID or voice mail. Some carriers offer it for free, while others charge for it. It's not so much a matter of whether it costs the carriers anything (something like enabling Caller ID costs them nothing), but rather if people are willing to pay for it.
    Was in response to Belfast. You don't have to explain why carriers will charge if they can (Bridge and AT&T)
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  17. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,002 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    No, it isn't. It may be included, but why would some carriers charge 5/month for BBM use?
    Included in the cost does not mean it is free.
    Where I live all data plans cost the same for all platforms, no carriers charges extra for BBM. You don't pay RIM for BBM, you cay your carrier for the data plan.

    Think of BBM as a present from RIM, it's a free service.
  18. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #18  

    Default

    Belfast - It doesn't matter who your carrier is. If you have BIS, then you are paying for it. BBM is an included service. Does not make it free.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  19. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,002 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    Belfast - It doesn't matter who your carrier is. If you have BIS, then you are paying for it. BBM is an included service. Does not make it free.
    Dude, you can't have BIS without a data plan from your carrier. What's so hard tu understand about that?

    BBM is free the same way Blackberry Traffic, Blackberry Travel, Blackberry Maps, Blackberry Protect etc are free.
  20. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,836 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,622 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #20  

    Default

    *gets popcorn and gets comfy*

    This should get entertaining...

    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    BB10FTW likes this.
  21. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,002 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    *gets popcorn and gets comfy*

    This should get entertaining...

    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Shouldn't you clear this up? I thought you sold blackberries for a living

    Is BBM free?
  22. Magnetic_dud's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    708 Posts
    Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    no carriers charges extra for BBM
    the problem is that the carriers have to pay $$$ to RIM to give BIS access
    In some way, the carrier would like to get money back from the customer
  23. OniBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
    the problem is that the carriers have to pay $$$ to RIM to give BIS access
    In some way, the carrier would like to get money back from the customer
    Don't bother using logic....or English to get your point across. It doesn't work. Belfast believes that BBM is free, and nothing short of Thor himself going to his home and explaining it to him will change his mind, and I am not even 100% sure of that.
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
  24. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,002 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    Don't bother using logic....or English to get your point across. It doesn't work. Belfast believes that BBM is free, and nothing short of Thor himself going to his home and explaining it to him will change his mind, and I am not even 100% sure of that.
    No need to get personal. You never answered about all other blackberry services, are they also not free? Or are they paid for just because they're included in the data plan? Where do you draw the line and accept some services are free from RIM?
  25. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
    the problem is that the carriers have to pay $$$ to RIM to give BIS access
    In some way, the carrier would like to get money back from the customer
    The additional cost, especially when it comes to unlimited or high cap data plans, is offset by the fact that BIS reduces the amount of data being used on the network. This is why a lot of carriers don't charge customers extra for BIS, because they know that those customers will use a lot less data on average than those using other smartphones.

    In short, it is up to the carriers whether they charge for BIS or not. A lot don't, and if yours does, that's an issue to take up with them. Just because your carrier does, doesn't mean they should just do away with BIS entirely.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions