Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BBM Tricks

Hi everyone,

I was just curious to know if there is a way to block a certain contact from messaging you without letting them know you have blocked them? for example; showing that you are "unavailable" or "away".

OR is there just a way to set up an option to show that the message was "delivered" to you but was not "read" when it actually was read?

Please let me know if something like this is possible.

Thanks
    CrackBerry User

i would like to know to....are there any options as in msn chat??
    The CBK

Global Posts
    10,496 Global Posts
    PIN
    "No Pin For You!"

You can block them, but they will know. At least, I think that is the case anyway.
    "It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book." Nietzsche
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me and we'll see.. =)

Not so much "block" but once you remove them from your list, you get off their list too.. But I'm assuming that's not what you want to do. I don't think it's possible to do what you're asking simply because BBM is so specific to "if you don't want to talk to this person, delete them from your list, and they'll never be able to bother you again."

But in any case, the only option I can think of is putting an "away" message up while staying available. Because you can still chat and the message stays there until you manually go into delete it.
    "Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world." -- Bette Midler

Correction:
    "Give a girl the right shoes and a Blackberry, and she will conquer the world." -- J
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K underwear turns me on

There is no way to "trick" the delivered/read notifications.

United States Air Force
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    24a698b8

There is a trick that works on curves but not on bolds.

When BBMing with someone and another BBM comes in, the message is displayed at the bottom as "John Doe says....."

you can highlight this, copy it, and paste it somewhere to read what they say without them knowing that you read it. The only problem will be that the bbm icon will still show an unread message but you will be able to see what they said without them knowing it!
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan1025 View Post
    There is a trick that works on curves but not on bolds.

When BBMing with someone and another BBM comes in, the message is displayed at the bottom as "John Doe says....."

you can highlight this, copy it, and paste it somewhere to read what they say without them knowing that you read it. The only problem will be that the bbm icon will still show an unread message but you will be able to see what they said without them knowing it!
    incorrect when I get a BBM message it does show "john doe says"
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K underwear turns me on

Quote Originally Posted by howie1983 View Post
    incorrect when I get a BBM message it does show "john doe says"
    I'd have to see a picture of that to believe it.

United States Air Force
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

He's probably referring to the message showing up in his messages folder.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

What if you have your BBM message set to show in your normal message box (SMS EMAIL, etc) can you go in and just delete the BBM...and if so will it show the message as unread still?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    PIN
    2163AF70

OK guys , I have a trick , ready ?

Ive had AutoStandby for a while now and ive noticed that when im chatting to a person on BBM and waititng for a reply , the phone will go into stand by mode as per the app . Set the time limit to be as low as possible , a few seconds perhaps .

Heres the best part ... Try chatting with someone , say hello , now REGARDLESS if the person has replied to you or not , DONT TOUCH ANY KEY until Stand By has kicked in . When it does , click on any key to light up the display and voila .... you can read whatever the person wrote without changing the "d" or "r" .

You must be thinking : How do i get out of it ? Well if you get out of stand by mode then the notification will change from d to r . Best thing to do (works best with people who have multiple phones) is call yourself , pick up and hang up and then QUICKLY pressing the "End" key a lot of times !!!!!

Hope you guys like this ..
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20DFA3D7

That seems like a lot of hassel when if you don't want to talk to them just hit delete!

The Sultan of CrackBerry

Global Posts
    5,634 Global Posts

I don't see how the "john doe says" "trick" would work, unless, as was mentioned, he's referring to messages showing up in his inbox and not BBM.
    The CBK

Global Posts
    10,496 Global Posts
    PIN
    "No Pin For You!"

I am rather confused by this whole thread.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM

Just delete the person if you dont want to talk to them, easy as that
    - Matt Matt
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,225 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me :)

One thing you can do is if you go into the messages folder, and you have bbm set up to show convos in the message list, you can read the first few lines in the message list, and if you don't want them to know you read it, or read part of it, just delete it without going into BBM. It'll say D for delivered, but never R cuz you never opened it hehe. That's the best trick I can think of!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    DoLoL Is A βeta Blocker

The john doe trick does actually work I have used it many times. You have to have more than one convo going for it to work. So let's say you don't want convo B to know that you have read what they just said. If your in convo A and the message appears from convo B at the bottom of the screen you simply go to that message and hit copy, then you can go paste it in memo pad or wherever. It still will show convo B that it is unread. The problem occurs when they type and send more than one message. It will allow you to copy the first reply and paste but you need to hit the end button and go back and copy the other lines. And as far as being able to copy it in the general messages folder it will not let you do that, at least not with my OS and could be OS specific. But this is with the curve, not sure of the bold.
    Last edited by mwdb4au; 05-16-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.
    Blackberry 101: Lecture Series|Memory Optimization|How To Recover A Dead Blackberry|Posting Rules|How to Search Forums
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    209ad16d

wow!!! i have always wondered that too..there are annoying people out there that would msg you senseless bull crap
    Gina Raye
    CrackBerry User

Default found a solution......

I think I know what you are trying to do.....and that's read a blackberry message without the sender knowing you read it. You need to make sure you have the "save chat history" option turned on through the options menu. Then when someons sends you a message open bbm and just scroll over the chat and press the menu button. Then click "view history" and read the message there without sending the received notification to the sender.

Let me know if that works.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    312 Global Posts
    PIN
    terest

I would just look at as much text that you can read thru the message header in the Messages folder & delete it...should help some of your problem unless the person you don't want to talk to but want to know what they are saying to you is writing a book!

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

The view chat history thing works. I've been using that for awhile for someone I've been trying to ignore. They will never know that you read their chat if u view the convo from chat history.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    There is no way to "trick" the delivered/read notifications.
    To "trick" the read status:

1. Turn off your radio
    2. Read BBM Message
    3. Delete conversation
    4. Turn radio back on.

Used to work, havent tried this in a while.
    CrackBerry User

I got one if you would like your diplay pic to appear larger to ur contacts copy and paste this Ω̴̩̩̩̥ anywhere in ur name field

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    PIN
    23292E91

Well, there's 3 ways actually...

#1) if your in a convo with someone and don't want to look desperate or just feel as if you don't want to reply anymore... Hit the end key and you'll get out of the message without sending the R.. At this point you can pull the battery and access bbm again without going back in the convo OR if another message comes in that you want to read you can reopen bbm and aslong as you don't click anything but the end key.. You can read again without sending the R

#2) view chat history for the contact and you can read the message without every sending the r but you have it enabled before the message comes in

#3) If you don't ever want to read the message but don't want to send the R you can just delete the message and it will forever remain delivered until you send a message to that contact

CrackBerry Newbie

you can actually read the chat with out them knowing, it doesnt show them the R, you can do that by going to the chat not opening it but by pressing the menu button youll get view chat history, read what they say and then they wont have an idea that you read it... its a dirty trick