Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

So let me just ask this question....

I am a BBM user and have a Data plan... I do use my BBM over WiFi also since I don't get signal in parts of my office and it works great....

The question I have is when I travel down to the US for work and don't want to get killed on Data Roaming charges can I turn off my Network and still use the Wifi at the hotel for email, BBM and Internet? Or will it require my network to be on and be roaming that way my carrier can charge me for using the services?

Thanks
    Whit
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

As long as your data plan is still active, you can use email, BBM, and internet over WiFi without incurring roaming charges.

It's advisable to select "Data off when Roaming" and to turn of the Mobile Network.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Good day,

Could someone help me. I'm offshore and we have wifi working on board. I have a data plan in my home country, south africa for bb. My questions is, if I use bbm over the wifi while my data plan is turned on, but data while roaming is turned off. Do I still get charge with any roaming cost in this case?? If I use wifi bbm will I still be getting a bill for international roaming for the data sent? Hope somebody can tell me because not even my carrier at home knows the answer to this... Frustrating...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Kerk

Ik heb 'n simpel abonnement en ik kan niet pingen omdat dat niet ondersteund wordt, maar welke kerk bedoel je dan kom ik wel daarheen. Geweldig deze reactie
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,657 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bulles View Post
    Ik heb 'n simpel abonnement en ik kan niet pingen omdat dat niet ondersteund wordt, maar welke kerk bedoel je dan kom ik wel daarheen. Geweldig deze reactie
    English, please.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 , Passport (coming soon!)

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry User

BBM works perfectly well on wifi. you can turn your radio off and use it with wifi only. no need for a data plan.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by riaandiver View Post
    Good day,

Could someone help me. I'm offshore and we have wifi working on board. I have a data plan in my home country, south africa for bb. My questions is, if I use bbm over the wifi while my data plan is turned on, but data while roaming is turned off. Do I still get charge with any roaming cost in this case?? If I use wifi bbm will I still be getting a bill for international roaming for the data sent? Hope somebody can tell me because not even my carrier at home knows the answer to this... Frustrating...

yes you can use wifi to access your email and im accounts including bbm. just make sure you turn the radio off so youre not accidentally roaming. it should work fine with wifi only.
    good luck!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by whit27 View Post
    So let me just ask this question....

I am a BBM user and have a Data plan... I do use my BBM over WiFi also since I don't get signal in parts of my office and it works great....

The question I have is when I travel down to the US for work and don't want to get killed on Data Roaming charges can I turn off my Network and still use the Wifi at the hotel for email, BBM and Internet? Or will it require my network to be on and be roaming that way my carrier can charge me for using the services?

Thanks
    Whit
    it wont require for you to be on roaming. just turn it off to make sure they dont charge you. it should work just fine!
    good luck!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12