Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elite1
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Backing up / Saving Blackberry Messenger chats (BBM)

Hello,

I have currently been having a lot of problems with my phone and finally Tmobile have sent me a replacement phone.

Before taking the actual jump of giving up my current 9700 and using the replacement tmobile sent me I want to be very sure I am backing everything.

I have pretty much figured out how to back up my contacts and my SMS.

The thing I need to back up now and need your help (step by step please as I am very new to blackberry:-) is

1) How do you back up your actual BBM chats? I have tried to back it up a few times and everytime I go back into a friends name, the chat seems to be erased.

2) How can I be very sure that my BBM contacts with their PIN codes have been backed up so that when I restore to my new device, I have all my BBM contacts with their PIN as well as there chats as per my qst above.

Please help as I have only a few days in which to return my old phone to Tmobile and start using the new one or else tmobile will charge me $300 if I am late in returning the old phone.

BBM chats and BBM contacts with their PINS are the only things I have yet to figure out how to back up using the Desktop Manager and/or the device itself as well if theres any settings I have to select before I do the Desktop Manager back up of BBM chats and BBM contacts & PINS.

Much thanks,
    Mareena
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

In BBM, go to options, then scroll down to "save chat history". You'll then see the option to either save all future chats to your device or to your media card (assuming you have one installed). Choose media card, save your settings, and you're done!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Oh, I also forgot to mention that when you do a backup of your Blackberry through desktop manager, the file that you save will have all your BBM contacts in it, along with any other device settings and data that's on the Blackberry you are currently using.
    When you receive your new device, you can use the desktop manager to transfer that same backup file to it so that your new device will have all your original settings from the former device, BBM contacts included.
    Last edited by Apocalypso; 01-17-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

The only trouble with BBM is even though u save ur chat history to your media card, when u restore the back up file, the chats never appear again.

I'm preety sure they do save to the media card its jus that you cnt view em via bbm again. Strange I know.

Contacts aren't a problem during the backup. BBM also has a remote backup feature within it which can be found in the BBM options. They link it to your email address so that when u connect ur new fone, ur new pin is automatically changed on all your friends device.

Jus thought I would let u know...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

On that I'm preety sure note, I'm definatly sure as I've jus looked on my media card and there all there...

Saves them in excel csv files,

Got to your file manager, file folders, media card, blackberry, I'm, and there all there...

Hope that helps...

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Assuming you already have your replacement and old 9700, use the Device Switch Wizard feature of Desktop Manager. (In desktop manager 6, it's menu > switch device)

Global Posts
    5,865 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

Device Switch Wizzard would be the first option I would offer. If you do just save the BBM chats to your SD card they will be saved in a folder under the current PIN number in the IM chat folder. I have had to move these chats to the NEW PIN folder to be able to associate them them to the new PIN using the second method.
    Posted using my device of choice. May or may not be a BlackBerry.
    No such thing as too many backups. Remember that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainman1303 View Post
    The only trouble with BBM is even though u save ur chat history to your media card, when u restore the back up file, the chats never appear again.

I'm preety sure they do save to the media card its jus that you cnt view em via bbm again. Strange I know.

Contacts aren't a problem during the backup. BBM also has a remote backup feature within it which can be found in the BBM options. They link it to your email address so that when u connect ur new fone, ur new pin is automatically changed on all your friends device.

Jus thought I would let u know...

Actually you can view them again. While your chats won't appear in the immediate chat window, the chat histories are still accessible once saved to the media card. Simply select one of your BBM contacts, then click the blackberry button. You'll then see a menu list of options, one of which is "view chat history". I just did this myself and I can see a log of all of my chats with the contact to-date.

PIN
    What's that?

Just to add to what has been said... The chat history will only be saved from the time you turn it on within BBM options. If you just did it for switching your phone then your chats won't be saved.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
    Actually you can view them again. While your chats won't appear in the immediate chat window, the chat histories are still accessible once saved to the media card. Simply select one of your BBM contacts, then click the blackberry button. You'll then see a menu list of options, one of which is "view chat history". I just did this myself and I can see a log of all of my chats with the contact to-date.

Cheers for that tip...I didn't know that!

The saved files are csv files which the default apps cnt read so its good to know I can read it through bbm..

Thanks...

Global Posts
    13,677 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Quote Originally Posted by mainman1303 View Post
    Cheers for that tip...I didn't know that!
    The saved files are csv files which the default apps cnt read so its good to know I can read it through bbm.
    Yes they don't expire, and they can only (easily) be read in BBM.

I've had it set to Save to Media Card for quite some time and it's all there.
    It even starts setting up collapsible folders for each month under each contact, so everything's surprisingly organized.
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    angryvolcan likes this.

Global Posts
    13,677 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Quote Originally Posted by mareenab View Post
    Before taking the actual jump of giving up my current 9700 and using the replacement tmobile sent me I want to be very sure I am backing everything.
    I have pretty much figured out how to back up my contacts and my SMS.

The thing I need to back up now and need your help (step by step please as I am very new to blackberry
    Hi Mareena,
    Here's everything organized into a step-by-step for you.

1. In BBM, click MENU (the  logo button to left of trackpad) to open BBM Options. In Chat View section, ensure Save Chat History is set to Media Card. BBM will save Chats starting at the time this setting is enabled.

2. Still in BBM Options, in Backup Management section select the first "button" that says Back Up. Select Back Up Files Remotely. On the Remote Backup screen that opens, you want to see that it says Remote Backup is Enabled at the top, then see any email address you have associated with your BB listed with Registered under each.

3. Click ESC (Escape key is loopback arrow to right of trackpad) once to return to the Back Up Contact List page. Select Back Up Files Locally. On the Local Backup page that opens, check the box to Auto Save Contact List Changes. Next select Backup Now. Ensure that the location where it's saving is on media card and Save. You're free to ESC out of the BBM Options now.

4. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to Media Card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).

5. Connect to PC, open Desktop Manager. Approve a full Backup when requested, or select to conduct a Backup. Or it might be auto-start a Backup on its own, depending on version of DM and your settings. The Device Switch will make a backup too, so this one is only a precaution.

6. Remove media card from BB.

7. From Desktop Manager options, initiate Device Switch. It will give you onscreen instructions that will differ depending if you're able to connect your devices simultaneously or consecutively. Just do what it says. At the end, you will have the option to wipe your old device. Before you click Yes or No, check the new device. If it appears to work and have your data, then allow DM to wipe your old device.

Should you ever need to use one of these backups to restore all of your data, search your PC for ipd. "ipd" is the file extension for all DM backups, just like how doc is the extension for Microsoft Word files.

I know it might seem intimidating, but you've nothing to worry about so long as you follow the instructions. Post back afterwards and say how it all went.
    Good luck!
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    Yes they don't expire, and they can only (easily) be read in BBM.

I've had it set to Save to Media Card for quite some time and it's all there.
    It even starts setting up collapsible folders for each month under each contact, so everything's surprisingly organized.

I have a problem. been saving my chat history for over 2 months but i can only view the last month in bbm. From the previous month i only hav the last day. what happened to the rest?can anybody help me?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Another question. I did receive a file on bbm and saved it, but somehow it got deleted. any chance i can save it again?