CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Any Way to Transfer BBM Chats to New Blackberry?

I've been looking all over the internet for an answer to my questions. Hopefully this will help!

I got a new BlackBerry this morning and transferred all of my applications, media, contacts, etc, etc.. to my new phone successfully, without any problems.

A main concern to me is my BBM chat history. I had the BBM chat history saved to the Device since I've had it (early November 2010) but switched it to Media Card today after realizing none of my chats transferred over to the new phone. By choosing Save Chat History to Media Card this morning, does that mean any BBM that I receive/send from that point on will be saved? Or does it mean that the history/BBM logs that I have in my phone at the moment are automatically saved into my media card?

Is there any possible way to retrieve my conversations on the new phone? How do I get the conversations that I have on my old phone onto the media card and into my new phone? I'd like to have the chats on this new phone before I send the old phone back to Verizon.

I put the media card into my new phone and I have my contacts, yes, but no chat history.

Thanks so much!

PS: If it helps, I have the BlackBerry Bold 9650 (I know I'm in the thread but whatever.. just to clarify!)
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

Ive never had my bbm chats populated on a device switch......
    Save your history to your media card.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ja2bk View Post
    Certainly, use Desktop Manager and do Switch Device. IT will do a backup of the current blackberry (BBM included as well as SMS and MMS messages) and tell you to connect the new blackberry. It will then put everything from the "old" blackberry onto the "new" blackberry (9650 in your case).
    I did this already and the BBM conversations didn't transfer over. I used the Desktop Manager to get everything from the old to the new BB but the BBM chats were the only thing that didn't go. Do I have to press something specific in order to get them to move over to the new phone?

Thanks for the reply, btw
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG-

just copy and past the chats from ur old media cards to the new via ur computer
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ing away

Get BBsAk. It gives you a much more solid back up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

hmm, maybe I didn't clarify enough and somebody can answer this better..

I didn't always have the Save Chat History option set. It's been on device since I got the phone up until it was deactivated today and I realized the chats didn't transfer. So I changed the settings to Media Card and it wont transfer over. Is that because only the BBM's that are received/sent from the time I chose that setting forward..? Because from what I think/experienced, it cant just take the entire chats I've had in my BBM and transfer it over.

Global Posts
    50,851 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by morgangm View Post
    hmm, maybe I didn't clarify enough and somebody can answer this better..

I didn't always have the Save Chat History option set. It's been on device since I got the phone up until it was deactivated today and I realized the chats didn't transfer. So I changed the settings to Media Card and it wont transfer over. Is that because only the BBM's that are received/sent from the time I chose that setting forward..? Because from what I think/experienced, it cant just take the entire chats I've had in my BBM and transfer it over.
    If you have your bbm chat history saved to your device, you were using device memory. Don't ever go that way. Have them save to your card. Now you are saying that they DID save to your device memory. If you want to save them, you have to go into the device memory and drag the files our as someone already suggested and drop them on your media card.

When you changed to save to media card, only chats that happen AFTER the change will move over. everything else stays where you sent it in the first place.

Does that answer your question?
    I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    OS 10.2.1.2947 on VZW-HTTR forever
    Need Sideloading Help? http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ur-z10-821005/
    Need help using the CB10 App? http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...10-app-872463/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG-

ya alway put it on ur mem card. connect to ur computer and "explore" the old mem card and copy and paste them over to the new one
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morgangm View Post
    i've been looking all over the internet for an answer to my questions. Hopefully this will help!

I got a new blackberry this morning and transferred all of my applications, media, contacts, etc, etc.. To my new phone successfully, without any problems.

A main concern to me is my bbm chat history. I had the bbm chat history saved to the device since i've had it (early november 2010) but switched it to media card today after realizing none of my chats transferred over to the new phone. By choosing save chat history to media card this morning, does that mean any bbm that i receive/send from that point on will be saved? Or does it mean that the history/bbm logs that i have in my phone at the moment are automatically saved into my media card?

Is there any possible way to retrieve my conversations on the new phone? How do i get the conversations that i have on my old phone onto the media card and into my new phone? I'd like to have the chats on this new phone before i send the old phone back to verizon.

I put the media card into my new phone and i have my contacts, yes, but no chat history.

Thanks so much!

Ps: If it helps, i have the blackberry bold 9650 (i know i'm in the thread but whatever.. Just to clarify!)
    go to files >> device >> home >> user >> im >> blackberry messenger
    copy then go to media card and paste
    YOU CAN EVEN SEND AS EMAIL.
    Last edited by BBM.Duchess; 01-18-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: FOUND A WAY.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thank you to all who replied, I really do appreciate your help!

Let me go try this and I'll post again.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ing away

open options in DM. There are tick boc=xes for everything you want to transfer to the new device. BBM messages should be in there as well as e-mails etc.
    Let's Go Caaaaaaps!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Along similar lines, I got a new BB today, the Torch 9800. I transfered the memorycard from the old one to the new one intact. It reads the music and the pictures, but It does notreadthe chat history. How do I do this?

Any help?
    Last edited by trekfan; 08-05-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

Exclamation

Ok I solved how to do this but its quite lengthy and VERY TIME CONSUMING....

The easiest way is to download Notepad++ as there are bunch of copy / replace all.

1. Go to your memory card then open the Dir:\BlackBerry\im\BlackBerry Messenger

2. Go to your old pin

3. you will see pins listed such as 321567.csv

4. Open one of the files in notepadd++

5. The Lines will read like this:

201008191282232557082,"322B2E**","31EAE***",What a week! T

6. All you need to worry about are these two lines:
    "322B2E**","31EAE***",

7. Knowing the conversation, the first "322B2E**" is you or may be the other person, the second vice versa

8. in Notepad ++ copy the PIN that is your # then replace it with your new one

This is all you need to do. My highlight is to replace all files in a directory with this.

Then Re-upload this to your Blackberry and... Voila your chat history is saved.

Now.... If you have multiple files due to the length. or multiple pins. this is what you do:

Only difference is that you have to add a few extra steps:

2. Go to your old pin foldrers

6. 201008191282232557082 refers to the date and time that you talked. What you need to do is group your first pin to the top of the conversation so the time is the newest time.

When this is complete you go to the next folder.

My recommendation is the first time you do this you take out the memory card and insert it into your blackberry to confirm that it has indeed worked. If it has not then you most likely have a line or number which did not carry over.

7. Now for the next steps on the two lines:
    "322B2E**","31EAE***",

7. Knowing the conversation, the first "322B2E**" is you or may be the other person, the second vice versa

This is all you need to do. My highlight is to replace all files in a directory with this.

CrackBerry User

Does this work with group chats? I replaced my pins in the old group chat with the new ones, put them in the appropriate folder on the media card. It only shows back to november 12, 2012, but the ones I transfered are from may 2011 to Nov 11
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

If it's on the media card and has a .csv it will, my method is lengthy but works 99.9% of the time. I gave up continuing it as I did not have hours to do it and went through 3-6 blackberries a year.

I still use the Blackberry as it's in my opinion the king for messaging. Problem is with OS 6 the berry is gimped, so I stick with OS 5.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dpoverlord View Post
    Ok I solved how to do this but its quite lengthy and VERY TIME CONSUMING....

The easiest way is to download Notepad++ as there are bunch of copy / replace all.

2. Go to your old pin

6. All you need to worry about are these two lines:
    "322B2E**","31EAE***",

Now.... If you have multiple files due to the length. or multiple pins. this is what you do:

Only difference is that you have to add a few extra steps:

2. Go to your old pin foldrers

6. 201008191282232557082 refers to the date and time that you talked. What you need to do is group your first pin to the top of the conversation so the time is the newest time.

When this is complete you go to the next folder.

My recommendation is the first time you do this you take out the memory card and insert it into your blackberry to confirm that it has indeed worked. If it has not then you most likely have a line or number which did not carry over.

7. Now for the next steps on the two lines:
    "322B2E**","31EAE***",

Sorry to bring up an old post, but this seems like the solution to being unable to view chat history on my BB10 Q5 phone. When I pull up the file in Note++, it all looks like chinese characters...anyone have any ideas what I am or am not doing to allow me to view the file..and possibly update the pin number so that I can view my chat history?