Item Description : BlackBerry 9700 - North American 3G frequencies, but not ATT or TMobile branded
    Price : $Negotiable
    Rate it : 9-10/10
    Item location : US or Canada, probably
    Shipping Details : Any
    Contact Info : email via forum or post here if you want

Hi all, I'm looking for a 9700 to run on AT&T in the US using their 3G, but I want to have the option to not use a BB plan if I don't want to.

Let me know your offers! Thanks.
    01-09-10 07:52 AM
    01-09-10 08:45 PM
    David, thanks for the response. However I may not have been clear in my posting. Basically, if you run an AT&T berry on AT&T, they force you to pay the $30/mo. for data. However if you run someone else's berry on AT&T, you can get away with no data or $10/mo. unlimited data or $30/mo berry plan if you want.

Since I like to keep my options open, I'd prefer to run someone else's unlocked 9700 on AT&T, and since Rogers runs the same 3G frequencies, so much the better. Same with factory unlocked models. TMO not so much; fine for EDGE, not for 3G.

Thanks for the link, though! Someone else may hit the jackpot there!
    01-09-10 09:18 PM
    <accidental repost>
    couldnt you just get a contract w/o a data plan and just put in an att bold 9700 that you bought without a contract?
    01-10-10 12:33 PM
    I have been with T-Mobile, and been running a blackberry 9550 and 9700 on it and not been paying for data. I recently got a data plan but I got away with it for a long time, everything worked fine on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-10 08:58 PM
    David, thanks for the response. However I may not have been clear in my posting. Basically, if you run an AT&T berry on AT&T, they force you to pay the $30/mo. for data. However if you run someone else's berry on AT&T, you can get away with no data or $10/mo. unlimited data or $30/mo berry plan if you want.

Since I like to keep my options open, I'd prefer to run someone else's unlocked 9700 on AT&T, and since Rogers runs the same 3G frequencies, so much the better. Same with factory unlocked models. TMO not so much; fine for EDGE, not for 3G.

Thanks for the link, though! Someone else may hit the jackpot there!
    Are you sure? I was under the impression that the branding/VendorID on the BlackBerry didn't effect service at all. If you were to buy the phone subsidized from AT&T I'm sure they would make you get a data plan, but I thought buying it outright would be a way to avoid the data plan?
    01-10-10 09:08 PM
    These days AT&T figures out overnight if you have one of their smartphones and sticks you on their data plan @$30/mo.

I don't think you can avoid the data plan by owning it outright; I own all my phones outright, I'm not under contract, and yet every time I swap onto an ATT branded phone, they figure it out and slap me with more $ than I want to pay.

Any official reps want to chime in?
    01-10-10 09:13 PM
    I have a T-Mobile 9700 I can offer, I can unlock my ATT version and use that. Message me if your interested. or email me [email protected]
    01-10-10 11:12 PM
    Yeah, only problem is TMO runs those funky 3G frequencies! Precisely why I need either Rogers (or Fido or Bell Canada, I think they all do the same) or factory unlocked. TMO doesn't do ATT 3g frequencies, so it's basically like using a 4-cylinder in a mustang. You can do it, but....why?
    01-11-10 12:06 AM
    Alright no worries, thanks for the reply, and good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 07:09 AM
    I'm still on the hunt for a 9700 from Rogers - anyone have one they want to get rid of? Or it could be any other carrier outfit that does NA 3G HSDPA/UMTS frequencies (850/1900), any outfit except AT&T as stated above.

Seriously, I'm having the damndest time trying to find one. Please let me know if and what you have, thanks!

-Eric
    01-31-10 12:45 PM
    01-31-10 01:28 PM
    Thanks Cross, bought it!
    01-31-10 02:04 PM
    Thanks Cross, bought it!
    Your Welcome
    01-31-10 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD