New Marketplace Rules - Effective February 7th, 2009

Hey Everybody,

OK. Fairly big announcement here, especially to those of you who frequent the Marketplace forum. Due to some fraudulent behavior and scams that took place within these marketplace forums in the past, we are starting fresh with a clean slate and are tightening up the criteria for posting in the Marketplace forum. The criteria is strict, but even seeing one person be scammed is one too many. We hope the new rules prevent this from ever happening again. All old marketplace threads will be deleted (truly starting fresh) so keep in mind if you posted recently you may need to repost. As always, you should use caution when buying / selling / trading in any online forum and CrackBerry.com assumes no responsibility for these community transactions. We have these forums here to benefit our community members. They're not a place for individuals to run businesses. Use the Marketplace well!

MEMBER POSTING CRITERIA
    - To create a thread in this forum to sell an item you must have a minimum CrackBerry post count of 100 and be a member of the site for at least three months.
    - To post replies to threads, the minimum post count is 10 (same as posting URLs). As always, buyer beware.

Click Here for FULL Marketplace Posting Rules and Guidelines.
    02-07-09 03:51 PM
    Great Job How U Doing Kevin
    02-07-09 04:14 PM
    Kevin...or mods, are there any specific rules for those users who post from their Blackberries via the mobile site? I created an add from my device but can't post a pic until I get home later today. I would like to have he ad out there and visible but posting a pic is a bit tedious and hard. Maybe a grace period fr mobile posters?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 04:24 PM
    Kevin...or mods, are there any specific rules for those users who post from their Blackberries via the mobile site? I created an add from my device but can't post a pic until I get home later today. I would like to have he ad out there and visible but posting a pic is a bit tedious and hard. Maybe a grace period fr mobile posters?

We generally always give 24 hours to comply with the posting guidelines. Would that work for you?
    02-07-09 05:03 PM
    I think it would be easier if the person just waited until they were home, and did the ad all at the same time. Bending of any rules right off the bat, won't set the best example in my opinion. It should truely be an all or nothing when it comes to the post.

That's my $.02 atleast

02-07-09 05:13 PM
    We generally always give 24 hours to comply with the posting guidelines. Would that work for you?
    That would be great. I won't take that long but that works. Thanks!

02-07-09 05:42 PM
    I think it would be easier if the person just waited until they were home, and did the ad all at the same time. Bending of any rules right off the bat, won't set the best example in my opinion. It should truely be an all or nothing when it comes to the post.

That's my $.02 atleast

I don't see it as a bending of rules. I see it as a grace period to fall in line with the rules. Granted if I were at my computer I would post a pic immediately but I think this allowance is good for those postiing wirelessly.

02-07-09 05:43 PM
    But if you sell before the pic is posted then you didn't sell in compliance anyways. So why not just keep the posting to the web only so pictures can be posted and the post is compliant right off the bat...

02-07-09 05:58 PM
    What's wrong with selling an item before a pic is posted? I don't need to see a picture to believe the item exists, I mean its convenient an all but it doent necessarily determine my ultimate decision. As long as one posts in the "grace period" then he or she is golden. If one takes their time then they find their post gone.

02-07-09 06:03 PM
    I just think it would be easier if there is no exceptions. If the rule is posted, then it should be followed. Especially if Kevin wiped all the old posts and wants a fresh start.

And you may be confident buying without seeing a picture, except that's how the scams begin.

I just see no real reason as to why anyone would need to post from there bb and then do pictures later. It can just be done at the same time, and then we don't have to waste the time of the mods to keep checking back and see if the pictures have been posted.

02-07-09 06:08 PM
    I see your point, I do. But for instance...me. I am at work. I postd an ad earlier today which was deleted once the mods cleared everything out. I am looking to make a trade as soon as I can. The sooner the better. So herei am at work, can't use the work computer so I post from here. My ad is out and potential traders know I am in the market for a trade. My point is that in this specific instance I'd like to be able to start my trade offer as soon as I can. But why be held down until I get home and are able to post a pic? I do understand its a rule, I was merely fishing for a comprimise to have a pic added. And aparently there is...24 hours. You read it, they typically allow it. Now if he said no, we don't allow a period to post, do it now or it goes then I fully understand.

02-07-09 06:23 PM
    I see your point, I do. But for instance...me. I am at work. I postd an ad earlier today which was deleted once the mods cleared everything out. I am looking to make a trade as soon as I can. The sooner the better. So herei am at work, can't use the work computer so I post from here. My ad is out and potential traders know I am in the market for a trade. My point is that in this specific instance I'd like to be able to start my trade offer as soon as I can. But why be held down until I get home and are able to post a pic? I do understand its a rule, I was merely fishing for a comprimise to have a pic added. And aparently there is...24 hours. You read it, they typically allow it. Now if he said no, we don't allow a period to post, do it now or it goes then I fully understand.

I completed understand where you are coming from, but the problem lies with the untrustworthy people, not people like yourself. There are honest, and dishonest people. People will post ads with no pictures, never even have the item, take payment and ship something random, and then the buyer is SOL.

I understand that yeah someone can take a picture of random one, but i just dont see them going through all that hassle.

I guess this is something that we are going to have to let Kevin and the Mods decide. We have definitely both provided valid feedback for both sides of the situation, and now it is in their hands as to what they feel is best for the community. I know Kevin and team will make the best decision, and whatever it is, is what we will comply with.
    02-07-09 06:29 PM
    Good dialogue. Thanks for keeping it civil.

02-07-09 06:31 PM
    Good dialogue. Thanks for keeping it civil.

I prefer to keep it that way, I dont really think much gets accomplished by being rude, and demeaning people on the forums.

Im glad we were both able to validate our points, and leave the information up to be decided.
    02-07-09 06:34 PM
    Dream and Jason excellent convo!

The new guidelines are awesome!! It may not solve the problem completely but at least it will help deter it.
    02-07-09 07:57 PM
    Not this is way better 200 post to reply and create a new thread was ridiculus. Thats good that new rules were
    Maid to many spam and thefts.

02-08-09 01:56 AM
    Kevin, I am glad to see something has finally been done. I hope the thread I created was a push in the right direction to get this up and rolling and done with.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I created the new Motion for the Marketplace. Hopefully you guys take me into consideration

Thanks Guys
    Josh
    02-08-09 11:26 AM
    Good thing something is being done. Scamming is always a bad thing and the new rules should help out with that. I am fortunate that my first experinence in MP was a good one. The guy I dealt with was A+ seller just like I was an A+ buyer. I hope more people do business the way we did. Good to see you guys taking charge.
    02-09-09 01:12 AM
    Hey, I understand that any type of scamming is unacceptable and should be dealt with immediately, but there are some of us, (myself included) that have been members of this forum for a while and come on here to read whats new in the world of blackberries and like to read posts but don't always post or comment. Is there any other type of criteria that can be met other than just posting alot (ex. maybe being paypal verified) I probably will get flamed for this but I thought I would just give my opinion. Thanks
    02-09-09 03:08 AM
    Hey, I understand that any type of scamming is unacceptable and should be dealt with immediately, but there are some of us, (myself included) that have been members of this forum for a while and come on here to read whats new in the world of blackberries and like to read posts but don't always post or comment. Is there any other type of criteria that can be met other than just posting alot (ex. maybe being paypal verified) I probably will get flamed for this but I thought I would just give my opinion. Thanks

I think that is a good idea. Also maybe posting your EBay and any other references you may have in your signature. I am in the same boat been here for some time, do not have a ton of posts..
    02-09-09 06:49 AM
    Love the new rules. I could never figure out what was real and what was fake.
    02-09-09 06:34 PM
    Wow, that's a lot of posts to be able to sell. I've sold plenty on here, and with these rules I can't even sell. I like the fact that a feedback section was implemented but 200 posts is a bit excessive IMO.
    02-11-09 01:26 AM
    Would it also be a good idea to add a rule that states you must put your screen name and date on a piece of paper next to any pics of the item for sale etc?

02-19-09 06:03 AM
    Hi guys, I totally understand the rules you have put in place. I am just wondering though if there is any way I can put a thread looking to BUY, not sell. I am new to the forum and want to buy a BB Curve or Pearl for Verizon service but can't start a thread to do so. Can someone start it for me or something? Thanks!
    02-20-09 08:27 PM
    Hi guys, I totally understand the rules you have put in place. I am just wondering though if there is any way I can put a thread looking to BUY, not sell. I am new to the forum and want to buy a BB Curve or Pearl for Verizon service but can't start a thread to do so. Can someone start it for me or something? Thanks!
    I understand what you are trying to accomplish. While you may not be able to post a new thread looking for a Curve or Pearl, you can monitor the marketplace for such items and post in an existing thread.
    You will see the items you want over time so just be patient and you will find what you are looking for.
    I suggest that you suscribe to the rss feed for the marketplace for future updates.
    02-20-09 08:46 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD