Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Z10 mac ? Bored with iPhone - iCal + shared calendars? Need advice....

Havent been posting here for 4 or so years

GOOD TO BE BACK!

I found this on the BB support forum

It took almost 3 weeks, but I finally figured out how to sync my BB Calendar with a Mac with the help of RIM support! First, you need to decide where the data is coming from, the BB or Mac. Unlike a PC you cannot dictate the directionality of the sync. 1) So if you Mac is where the updated data is, first make a backup to your desktop using the BB Desk Manager (same goes with if the data is on iCal, make a backup by exporting it!). 2) Using the Desk Manager, click on Device on top menu bar, then Forget Device, which removes any previous sync data and issues. 3) Create a new calendar that is blank; delete the old calendar. 4)Go to Sync on DM and indicate the name of the new blank calendar and when it prompts you, indicate merge data. After this the syncing should be fine! You should be able to change an event on your BB and it will change it on iCal when you sync and likewise when you add an event on iCal, when you sync it will add it on your BB.

Does that look about right?

If yes,

I have additional questions

1) I subscribe to my wifes iCal Mac calendar
    2) I also have a shared iCal Mac calendar of (selected) things I want to share with her

My "home Mac" is a laptop - so its not an 'always on & conneted to mail ' device...

I dont HAVE to have instant calander updates for the subscribed and shared calendars

I would be happy with calendar sync via USB if it has to be that way..

Can I get all the above done on a Z10 + Blackberry Desktop for Mac?

Thanks in advance comrades! (two thumbs)
    BB 8300, Bold, Curve 8900, iPhone 4S - now back to the dark side! - Q10
    Thanked by:
    currentodysseys (02-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts
    PIN
    NA

Hi Casper,

We're in the same boat! Just came back to BlackBerry after a stint. Hope you're enjoying your Z10.

If you have an iCloud account, you can simply add your account to the Z10, and it will sync mail, contacts and your calendars. Been using it for two days and works like a charm!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default sync iCloud settings with my Blackberry Z10

How do I set up my iCloud account on my Blackberry z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Great! Thanks!

I don't have a new bb yet.

I want to try the Z and Q side by side in a store before switching.

I think I have seen enough positives re iCal and caldav over the last week to put that off my worry list.

I had a hand to a Z10 today - it felt nice and light. Good size.
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 02-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    BB 8300, Bold, Curve 8900, iPhone 4S - now back to the dark side! - Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

Mine always comes up with an 'unable to sync calendar' message. Email and contacts work fine though.
    CrackBerry Newbie

How do I set up my iCloud account on my Blackberry z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts
    PIN
    NA

I found I had to use my me.com address Fady... after that there wasn't anything to do, it just worked.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok, I love this little BB 10. Bored of iPhone so I made the switch. I have my contacts syncing from icloud and my Mac mail. But I cannot seem to get my ical to display on my z10. Please help. I have shared calendars on ical for multiple businesses and I thought I read it would work.

Please help
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hey Blue Shift, what was your secret to get your ical to sync on your bb10 ?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
    Hi Casper,

We're in the same boat! Just came back to BlackBerry after a stint. Hope you're enjoying your Z10.

If you have an iCloud account, you can simply add your account to the Z10, and it will sync mail, contacts and your calendars. Been using it for two days and works like a charm!
    Yeah, my iCloudsetup works fine too, with mail, 1 + 5 shared calendars, contacts....luv it.

Just set it up like any other email and it syncs all of the above....

Fra iPad mini LTE via Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok. Works awesome with no problems. As mentioned earlier, start at the beginning and add your icloud but use me.com for the email addy.
    Enter password and it all just loaded up. Brilliant.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hey everyone,
    I'm glad to see so many of you making the jump from the iWorld to a new adventure with the Z10. Anyway, I've been following this thread for a while and thought it might help with your issues:

iPhone 4S to Z10

I myself am not a Mac owner of anything but after seeing all of the issues, I'm glad. Anyway, hope this helps!
    Innovation requires a partnership, the user and the maker have to be willing to change to achieve it.

BB by choice!

Nokia 5165, Nokia 8260, Nokia 3395, Kyocera 5135, Samsung SPH-A500, Samsung C-6112, Samsung SGH-A117, LG Shine, BB 9700, BB9780, BlackBerry Z10 + PB WiFi 64GB
    CrackBerry User

Hello everyone,

My Z10 ROCKS, of course it will be my wife's as soon as I will get an Q10

But I've seen something here very interesting, but I gues I'm too stupid to understand. Can anyone please tell me how did you sync with iCloud the contacts and calendar ? for the mail it has not been a problem, but that's all.

It would be a very appreciated help if anyone could go a bit deeper in details with the setup of calendar/addressbook sync.

Thanks.
    Claudiu
    CrackBerry Newbie

New to the forum, i was looking for a way to sync using the new os, had been using syncamatic on my 9900 but now with the Z10 was looking to workround the syncing.

So I got to work, actually quite easily, using the BB Calendar and Address' to sync with iCloud.

- Blackberry Z10, using the native Calendar
    - Ipad Mini - Ical, native email and contacts, with iCloud
    - Macbook Pro - Ical, native email and contacts, with iCloud

CALENDAR
    On The Z10 System Settings/Accounts/Add Account/Advanced (at the bottom)/CalDAV

Description: Icloud CAL Sync
    Username: my iCloud/itunes/apple ID login name (which in my case are the same)[
    Email Address: xxxx@icloud.com (email created when you created your icloud account eg. @icloud.com or @me.com)
    Password: my iCloud/itunes/apple ID password (which in my case are the same)
    Server Address: caldav.icloud.com
    Sync Interval: whatever you want

ADDRESS BOOK
    On The Z10 System Settings/Accounts/Add Account/Advanced (at the bottom)/CardDAV

Description: Icloud CONTACTS Sync
    Username: my iCloud/itunes/apple ID login name (which in my case are the same)[/B]
    Email Address: xxxx@icloud.com (email created when you created your icloud account eg. @icloud.com or @me.com)
    Server Address: contacts.icloud.com

B]ICloud EMAIL[/B]
    On The Z10 System Settings/Accounts/Add Account/Advanced (at the bottom)/IMAP

Description: Icloud EMAIL Sync
    Display Name: Your Name
    Username: xxxx@icloud.com (email created when you created your icloud account eg. @icloud.com or @me.com)
    Server Address: imap.mail.me.com
    SMTP Port: 587
    Thanked by:
    plasmid_boy (03-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by timder View Post
    New to the forum, i was looking for a way to sync using the new os, had been using syncamatic on my 9900 but now with the Z10 was looking to workround the syncing.

So I got to work, actually quite easily, using the BB Calendar and Address' to sync with iCloud.

- Blackberry Z10, using the native Calendar
    - Ipad Mini - Ical, native email and contacts, with iCloud
    - Macbook Pro - Ical, native email and contacts, with iCloud

CALENDAR
    On The Z10 System Settings/Accounts/Add Account/Advanced (at the bottom)/CalDAV

Description: Icloud CAL Sync
    Server Address: caldav.icloud.com

ADDRESS BOOK
    On The Z10 System Settings/Accounts/Add Account/Advanced (at the bottom)/CardDAV

Description: Icloud CONTACTS Sync
    Username: my iCloud/itunes/apple ID login name (which in my case are the same)[/B]
    Server Address: contacts.icloud.com

B]ICloud EMAIL[/B]
    On The Z10 System Settings/Accounts/Add Account/Advanced (at the bottom)/IMAP

Description: Icloud EMAIL Sync
    Display Name: Your Name
    Username: xxxx@icloud.com (email created when you created your icloud account eg. @icloud.com or @me.com)
    Server Address: imap.mail.me.com
    SMTP Port: 587
    Thanks for your answer. Calendar is the only one not working, addressbook and mail are ok. At calendar, I get: Your account cannot be authenticated with your service provider. Please make sure that the account settings are correct."

And I have double checked the settings several times.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by cprunax View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Calendar is the only one not working, addressbook and mail are ok. At calendar, I get: Your account cannot be authenticated with your service provider. Please make sure that the account settings are correct."

And I have double checked the settings several times.
    So ... I've fixed it, I took the url for server address at the calendar from the settings on the mac, in ~/Library/Calendars/XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX.caldav/Info.plist there is an

<key>PrincipalURL</key>
    <string>https://p18-caldav.icloud.com:443/XXXXXXXX/principal/</string>

there you should take the pXX-caldav.icloud.com and the personal id (XXXXXXX) and make and server address like this:
    https://pXX-caldav.icloud.com:443/XX...calendars/home

the only problem I have is that calendar events added on mac don't appear on the phone, but the events added from phone appear on mac.
    Last edited by cprunax; 03-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default not working

I entered my iCloud email, and it's only syncing my email, not calendar, contacts, or reminders!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Anyone know if BB has fixed the issue of: if you send an email from your icloud account the email shows up scrambled. I heard this was a known issue but I was not sure if it has been fixed yet. Is anyone else having this issue?

This is the only reason I am holding out for before buying the Z10, because I send a bunch of emails out throughout the day and I cant have that issue happen. I am hoping there is a fix already.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cprunax View Post
    So ... I've fixed it, I took the url for server address at the calendar from the settings on the mac, in ~/Library/Calendars/XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX.caldav/Info.plist there is an

<key>PrincipalURL</key>
    <string>https://p18-caldav.icloud.com:443/XXXXXXXX/principal/</string>

there you should take the pXX-caldav.icloud.com and the personal id (XXXXXXX) and make and server address like this:
    https://pXX-caldav.icloud.com:443/XX...calendars/home

the only problem I have is that calendar events added on mac don't appear on the phone, but the events added from phone appear on mac.
    Thanks for the info... but could you explain for an idiot like me, step by step. I can't work out your instructions. I can't get my calendar to sync... it used to work (as advised above):
    "Description: Icloud CAL Sync
    Server Address: caldav.icloud.com"

...then suddenly it stopped working, out of the blue, and with no warning. I have to admit this is very frustrating, and it doesn't feel secure to me. I've already messed up a couple of appointments. I have a terrible feeling i'll have to get an iphone!

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Okay, it is ridiculous to be required to send data to the cloud just to sync. Blackberry took a huge leap backwards with the Link software. There really isn't anything complicated about syncing via USB. I have sort of solved the problem by using PIM Backup and Restore. I can backup the Calendar on the Blackberry using the program, then send the file to the Mac and import it into the calendar. It is ridiculous to be required to do this workaround but it does work. I have no desire to put anything on the cloud and many people feel the same.

The Link software is basically useless for me. I cannot see why Blackberry decided it was so important to sync media files, instead of things used by people for business, such as the calendar and contacts. I have always found it much easier and quicker to simply drag and drop media files.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Well... I tried to add an account to a BB Z10 in my local store. It just failed over and over again.

Are there any improvements yet?

I
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PHughes View Post
    Okay, it is ridiculous to be required to send data to the cloud just to sync. Blackberry took a huge leap backwards with the Link software. There really isn't anything complicated about syncing via USB. I have sort of solved the problem by using PIM Backup and Restore. I can backup the Calendar on the Blackberry using the program, then send the file to the Mac and import it into the calendar. It is ridiculous to be required to do this workaround but it does work. I have no desire to put anything on the cloud and many people feel the same.

The Link software is basically useless for me. I cannot see why Blackberry decided it was so important to sync media files, instead of things used by people for business, such as the calendar and contacts. I have always found it much easier and quicker to simply drag and drop media files.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hello!
    I have been waiting and waiting for the Q10 after going iPhone four years ago to be able to sync with my MacBookPro. The only thing holding me back now is the same issue....I agree - I have no desire to put my data on anyone's cloud. Has anyone found a less complicated way to synch BB10 with iOS ?? Please advise, pretty please!???! I have a feeling that I am one of many and that this could be a real future breaker for BlackBerry :-(
    Have a happy day! Thanks, Mia