4 22.22%
  • Updated phone from Official OS to Official WITH problem

11 61.11%
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Problem Solving for Mac Users

I've given the Mac DM issues some people are having a lot of thought and I want to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

I am thinking these issues are coming from 1 of 2 places. Take this poll to see if I can figure it out:

This is ONLY for those who updated via Mac DM.

1) Updated my phone from a leaked OS to official OS no problem
    2) Updated my phone from a leaked OS to Official OS with a problem
    3) Updated my phone from an Official OS to Official OS no problem
    4) Updated my phone from an Official OS to Official OS with a problem
    Last edited by Brockmant; 10-26-2009 at 07:14 AM.
    OS 5.0.0..320

"A VZW REP TOLD ME SOMETHING"...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Personally I my phone didn't accept the update the first time I tried, but I was also in HEAVY Internet usage in the background on my computer while it was updating. The second time through I didn't touch my computer and turned the Screen Saver off. Worked fine. I also HAD a leaked OS on my phone. .323 to be exact.
    OS 5.0.0..320

CrackBerry User

Default MAC DM does not load the 5.0 core and docsToGo and SheetsTo correctly

I had major problems after updating my phone to 5.0 using Mac DM both official releases. The download and install went very smoothly, no problems, but when the phone restarted i had 3 Java errors in a row, they didn't seem to affect anything, so I continued. I used the phone for several hours and thought everything was fine until I tried to open facebook. Facebook would not open, even though App world and my phone said it was installed, there was no icon for it. I tried to reinstall, unhide all icons, install from DM, install from browser, from OTA, and nothing worked, then the phone would freeze and I'd have to do a pull.

After researching on here I found that I should try rebooting in Bootcamp on Windows 7 and try loading facebook on there. I did, and I reinstalled facebook. To my surprise DM on windows also informed me that a 5.0 software update was available and to update. I figured, what the heck and re-did it (even though I already completed the update on the mac) The update only took 15 minutes or less on the PC which surprised me. Also interesting was the fact that DM specifically noted that these files were updated: 5.00 core and docsToGo and SheetsToGo, I'm guessing that in the Mac version of DM there is some glitch installing these things and it is causing a heck of a lot of problems for many (not all) mac users trying to update their Storms to OS 5.0 using DM on the Mac.

BTW, after running DM on Windows 7, my storm rebooted and I had no Java errors and Facebook, as well as every other aspect of the phone worked perfectly and still does! 5.0 is awesome!!! (when installed on a PC)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I'm almost wondering if these problems are coming from people on the 4.7 build going to the 5.0 build on mac.

I had a 5.0 leak I installed on a PC and so far things look ok going to a 5.0 Official on Mac.
    OS 5.0.0..320

CrackBerry User

Used DM on os x 10.6 to upgrade to 5.0...everything went well until I was hit with an App Error 200..somehow it fixed itself and I still have a working berry. Other than that hiccup, the whole process was pretty smooth and straightforward.

EDIT: had .167 on phone before upgrading.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by kniprm View Post
    Used DM on os x 10.6 to upgrade to 5.0...everything went well until I was hit with an App Error 200..somehow it fixed itself and I still have a working berry. Other than that hiccup, the whole process was pretty smooth and straightforward.

EDIT: had .167 on phone before upgrading.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Were you on .148 or a 5.0 leak?
    OS 5.0.0..320

CrackBerry Abuser

I tried going from .148 to the new 5.0. The downloading when smoothly, but I ended up with the app error. I tried again, and ended up with the "reload software" error.

After several tries, I went back to .148, with no problems.

I'll find a PC later this week and try again. I was really disappointed to say the least.
    iPhone 4 User with Verizon Wireless
    MacBook l OS X 10.5.8 l 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    head

I didn't have any problems with the upgrade. I had alot going in the background without issue. My phone already had .323 on it and I didn't have any OS installed on the mac. So maybe it is a problem when going from 4.7 to 5?
    "Business to business. The old fashion way. No blackberries. No websites. I would like to see a website deliver baskets of food to people." Michael Scott
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

So far that is what it seems like. 4.7-5.0 is causing a problem. Hrmmm....
    OS 5.0.0..320

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    PIN
    30F7916D

I updated using DM from official 4.7.148 to official 5.0.328. My only issues were:
    -Had to reinstall facebook through app store. Worked fine after that.
    -Had to reinstall BBM through app store. Worked fine after that
    -My main email box was hidden. Just clicked show all hidden and unhid the mailbox.

My install went great, except when it got hung up at the last restart for ~7 minutes. I didn't touch anything and it eventually moved forward.

So far I have had zero issues other people are having.

It seems much more snappy and clean now.

All minor issues that were fixed in ~5 minutes.
    Last edited by wolverine318; 10-26-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Is there a Mac version of the upgrade? Going to Verizon, all they seem to provide is a Win .exe file, but not .dmg file. If there is a Mac version, where can I find it?
    CrackBerry User

Well I would love to take the poll but cant seem to figure out how to upgrade on my mac, lol. Is .320 the highest os mac dm will upgrade to?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by KMBroom View Post
    Well I would love to take the poll but cant seem to figure out how to upgrade on my mac, lol. Is .320 the highest os mac dm will upgrade to?
    If you're on Verizon with the Storm2, that is the highest OS version that is officially available for you. The Desktop Manager for Mac will only upgrade to official OS releases. If things are to be believed though, you may have one upgrade coming soon.
    On Twitter: k_r_y_p_t_o