Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb Pocket Mac Compitibility Issue

I found this info about pocketmac today. Though I would throw it out there.

Compatibility issues between PocketMac for BlackBerry smartphones and new MacBook and MacBook Pro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc ID : KB16342
    Last Modified : 12-02-2008
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    PocketMac® 4.1.25 for BlackBerry® smartphones
    13" MacBook® (2.0 GHz) - MB466LL/A
    13" MacBook (2.4 GHz) - MB467LL/A
    15" MacBook® Pro (2.4 GHz) - MB133LL/A
    15" MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz) - MB134LL/A
    BlackBerry® Storm® smartphone
    SDR252536

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    When trying to synchronize a BlackBerry smartphone and a new MacBook or MacBook Pro with PocketMac for BlackBerry smartphones, the following error is received:

Error1; (skipping)

The BlackBerry smartphone does not connect correctly to the Mac computer.

Resolution
    PocketMac 4.1.25

To resolve this issue, install the PocketMac 4.1.25 driver update. The driver update is available at BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac.

Note: The PocketMac driver update requires Apple® Mac OS® 10.4.3 or later.

Note: Make sure the BlackBerry smartphone is disconnected from the Apple® Macintosh® computer during the installation process. Restart the computer before you attempt to reconnect the BlackBerry smartphone to the Apple Macintosh computer.

Additional Information
    If PocketMac for BlackBerry smartphone is still unable to detect the BlackBerry smartphone after applying the driver update, there may be an issue with the files used while the upgrade was applied. To resolve this issue, open the Extensions folder by going to HD > System > Library > Extensions and delete the following files:

BlackBerryUSB.kext
    BlackBerryUSBDev.kext
    Make sure to restart the computer and install the PocketMac Driver update again after deleting these files.

If you are using a BlackBerry® Storm® smartphone, and are experiencing issues with connectivity after applying the PocketMac 4.1.25 Driver update, perform the following:

On the BlackBerry smartphone, navigate to the Options icon.
    In the Options menu, select Memory.
    Set the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) option to Off.
    Set the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected option to either Yes or Prompt.
    Save these changes.
    Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone, and allow the BlackBerry smartphone to return to the home screen.
    Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the Mac, and open the PocketMac.
    The BlackBerry smartphone should now connect successfully to the PocketMac Sync Manager Software.
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    CrackBerry User

Thank you...thank you....thank you!!!!

I followed these instructions and I was able to get PocketMac to work on my BB Storm.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Glad this worked for you. HAppy new year!
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    CrackBerry User

I have the same issue and was on the phone with BlackBerry for two hours and they walk me through the same process, but I still can not sync with PocketMac. Any ideas?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mufoi View Post
    I have the same issue and was on the phone with BlackBerry for two hours and they walk me through the same process, but I still can not sync with PocketMac. Any ideas?
    Did they have you run SyncClean?
    CrackBerry User

Is SyncClean a software? They did not have me run SyncClean.
    Last edited by mufoi; 01-02-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

SyncClean is one of the utilities that comes with PocketMac.

Checkout this forum thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/pro...s-first-33757/

What worked for me was this:

1. Uninstall PocketMac and restart your Mac.
    2. Install PocketMac and driver update. *NOTE: The driver update was the cause of the errors for me - I think it has something to do with the OSX version I use (10.4.11) - so you might want to try the remaining steps without the driver update first.
    3. Run SyncClean to remove any remnants of the uninstall.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Connect the device to the Mac directly using the USB cable. Do not use a USB hub for this.
    6. Run DataPurgeUI to remove any remnants of previous sync attempts. **IMPORTANT** this will permanently remove data from your Blackberry so use with care.
    7. Disconnect device from your Mac and do a battery pull.
    8. Reconnect the device to the Mac using the USB cable and sync one category at a time (iCal, then OSX address book, etc.). If all goes well you can reconfigure PocketMac to sync multiple categories.

Since you already contacted RIM about this, you might try requesting email support directly from PocketMac:

PocketMac Support Site

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by LVampa; 01-02-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

I forgot to mention one thing:

Remember to backup your Mac files before attempting to use any sync software the first time.

You can do this quite easily with iCal and OSX Address Book.
    CrackBerry User

I can sync again. Thank you very much. What I did was uninstall PocketMac, restart, reinstall PocketMac but without the USB update. I think the USB update is the one that actually kill the sync.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    me because I HATE twitter

Great! Thanks you for the information. Although, I will not be getting the new macbook pros anytime soon because of that foolish glass screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

I just did it and it worked. Thanks much
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

The USB ports on my 15"MBP are hooked up to a Time Capsule and a 24" Display screen. I use the two USB ports on my wired keyboard for any USB access. Can I use these with my Storm (I will be getting it shortly)? Or do I have to use the USB ports on my MBP? Anyone?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching"-Yogi Berra
    20th century philosopher
    Words to live by:
    Leave the gun, take the cannoli!
    StarTac 75>StarTac 150 (salt water kill)>LG8000>Treo 650p (bricked)>Treo 700p>Storm 9350(5.0.0.328)
    CrackBerry User

I have one of the new MBP aluminum 15". I had initial trouble getting the Storm to be recognized but installed the latest USB driver update and now everything is working like a charm - almost. Blackberry2 shows up on my desktop, and with Entourage running, I then launch Pocketmac and sync everything just fine. Not sure why Blackberry1 is not showing up on my desktop. But it is the devices memory and not the media card, so I can live with it. It takes such a miracle to get any Blackberry to show up on the desktop and then sync, so I am not messing with it. I'm just thankful for what I've got.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fcortese View Post
    The USB ports on my 15"MBP are hooked up to a Time Capsule and a 24" Display screen. I use the two USB ports on my wired keyboard for any USB access. Can I use these with my Storm (I will be getting it shortly)? Or do I have to use the USB ports on my MBP? Anyone?
    As a general rule it is always recommended that any device or peripheral be connected directly to the port, but that doesn't mean that a hub or other secondary connection will not work. Nevertheless, anytime you are syncing or transferring data, such as backing up or updating a Blackberry, it is prudent to use the most reliable connection possible. I have had mixed results when using the keyboard USB ports and avoid doing so whenever possible.
    Last edited by LVampa; 01-03-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LVampa View Post
    As a general rule it is always recommended that any device or peripheral be connected directly to the port, but that doesn't mean that a hub or other secondary connection will not work. Nevertheless, anytime you are syncing or transferring data, such as backing up or updating a Blackberry, it is prudent to use the most reliable connection possible. I have had mixed results when using the keyboard USB ports and avoid doing so whenever possible.
    Thanx for the info
    "You can observe a lot just by watching"-Yogi Berra
    20th century philosopher
    Words to live by:
    Leave the gun, take the cannoli!
    StarTac 75>StarTac 150 (salt water kill)>LG8000>Treo 650p (bricked)>Treo 700p>Storm 9350(5.0.0.328)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,406 Global Posts
    PIN
    upon request

thanks for sharing
    iTouch & EVO 4G
    CrackBerry Newbie

I found the same post too after some extensive searching on the web. This should really be stickied.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Wink Syncing issues with PocketMac and BB Bold

Not sure if this is of any use to anyone but I have been having the same problems with syncing and PocketMac not being able to 'find' my Blackberry. I discovered, by accident, that if you password protect your handset, you must select the 'Connection option' within PocketMac and put in your handset's password - this may solve your problems! Let me know if not and I will try to investigate further. Good luck fellow BBers!
    CrackBerry User

I was able to sync my storm with pocketmac but the bookmarks did not sync. I installed the bookmark manager or whatever its called and there is nothing there.

Does anyone "see" their blackberry mounted on the desktop? I am running 10.5.6 and my storm will not mount but Pocketmac can see it. I would like to drag and drop some photos and things.

I also find it amusing that it has photo and music syncing tabs but they are worthless. I am sure they were put in there to get our hopes up. Damn decoys...
    CrackBerry User

i still cant get this to work... i think something must be wrong with me ... or i am just not mechanically inclined lol...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    PIN
    32DCD8D4

Hmm.. I"m going to have to give this a shot tonight.> I've tried all the other steps I've found online with no success...
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've been four hours trying different things and then I found this post. All working splendidly now. Many many thanks. Al.