Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default OS Shrinking for Mac users?

Hey all, I'd've posted this thread in the Mac User's forum, but there's never any movement in there at all! I'm lookin' for a way to expand the memory on my 9700 running OS6.0, but the Shrink-a-OS program looks like it's only for Windows operated computers, and MaxMem seems only to work on the old 5.0 OS versions. Are there any other options? The Boss program also seems to only work with PC users... am I up the crik for a bit? I really wish these programs and especially BBSAK were available for Mac users.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

Hey bro. I'm not a Mac user but I'm wondering if the OS is still the same. Is there still a Java folder with all the cod files? Before BB Boss came out, I used to delete the cod files manually. My 9700 went from 78mb after OS install to 123mb after shrinking. I believe I still have a list of the cod files saved somewhere. I'd be happy to email them to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

No idea, where would I find this Java folder? I don't' have a C drive or anything like that and when I open my DM it just opens the program, no access to files within. Mac isn't as open source as Windows, no where near it, way less micro-management you can do on it, but I like that about it, less to possibly F U C K up! LOL!
    CrackBerry Abuser

You're pretty much out of luck when it comes to OS shrinking on a Mac. As a fellow Mac user, I know it's a little frustrating that we don't get the same capabilities as Windows. The DM has gotten better, but it's still not there. There are pretty much two ways you can shrink your OS, and they both involve running Windows anyways:

1) Through a virtual machine like Parallels or VMware Fusion. Although, this way runs into issues with Snow Leopard.
    2) Through loading Windows on a BootCamp partition.

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

I dunno how it works on a mac, but you can certainly remove the cods you want to shrink manually. It's pretty simple - if the .cod has vad in the name, it's for vad. If it has brickbreaker in it, it's for brickbreaker. I could go on, but you get the idea.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

OS X is based on Linux, basically darwin as the distro (info for it is out there), since I'm a PC user and have used ubuntu (waiting for DM to be released somewhat on linux), there must be a "Common files" or "common" folder somewhere. It could be under /home/user/ somewhere. Maybe launching the Terminal app in the dock and typing ls or dir to find out which folder you're actually in. There should be a way to copy and paste directly into the finder's location bar. I assume when you launch the terminal, you're in the /home folder. By the way, those folders are hidden in the finder's explorer window when browsing the "macintosh HD". The general user folder is likely the home folder.

Just throwing some advice out there.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Can't downgrade back to 5.0 on a mac either.... I seriously loathe how slow 6.0 is without being able to remove all of this stuff that I don't need.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by crystinonfire View Post
    Can't downgrade back to 5.0 on a mac either.... I seriously loathe how slow 6.0 is without being able to remove all of this stuff that I don't need.
    Finally, someone with some intellect! Sorry man, but Mac users cannot remove cod files, I've tried some tricks I've heard of and nothing! You can install a virtual PC or dual boot but it's a waste and defeats the point of owning a Macintosh... a superior device.
    CrackBerry Master

dang. I have been searching on how to shrink the os 6 on my 9700 until I realized the programs out probably are windows only..

Unfortunate that we cant really shrink on a mac!

Well I guess I will have to bust out the ole windows bootcamp partition and shrink away. I have only 4MB free right now and cant upgrade to the new BBM!
    Moto Rokr E1 > Moto SLVR > Pantech Duo > HTC G1 > Blackberry Bold 9700 > Bold 9900 > HTC G2 & BB 9000 > Z10 > Q10 > White Z30
    Tmobile USA - Prepaid $30 per month! (100 min, 5GB at 4G/LTE, unlmtd sms) + VoIP
    Join dropbox for free cloud storage

Don't Panic
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    No idea, where would I find this Java folder? I don't' have a C drive or anything like that and when I open my DM it just opens the program, no access to files within. Mac isn't as open source as Windows, no where near it, way less micro-management you can do on it, but I like that about it, less to possibly F U C K up! LOL!
    Are you talking about a MAC? If you are, you have access to all of those files just as on Windows, and you do have a C: drive, you just have to know where to look. You also have a wealth of underlying capabilities from a command line if you know how to use it, the MAC OS is based on Unix and if you know anything about that you can do a lot with it.

I have both Windows and MAC but MAC is now my main computer, both give you the capabilities you are talking about, unfortunately though often software written for it doesn't include all the capabilities their Windows counterpart does and that is a choice of the software developer. It is a shame that RIM hasn't done better with its MAC DM. That being said, I was happy to find my Blackberry would sync with all the included software, on the Windows machine there was no included software to sync with and my choice of software wasn't supported by RIM. I can't stand Outlook and don't wish to use Google or any other online calendar.