CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Unhappy Macbook Pro Snow Leopard Blackberry Storm Bluetooth Tethering

Can someone give me a quick rundown/tutorial of how to tether the Blackberry Storm 9530 to a macbook pro using bluetooth?

I am running the Snow Leopard version 10.6
    And the Blackberry Storm 9530
    Bluetooth for laptop is Version 2.0
    Verizon is my carrier

I have read MANY MANY guides and reviews on how to accomplish this procedure, but so far, I have not been able to get past connecting to the correct vendor, since Bluetooth 2.0 doesn't allow you to select, "Other", in the vender list.

Someone PLEASE help me!

Justin
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    30**88**

same issue.....
    MUSIC
    Its FREE!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Teather

Meeee tooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
    CrackBerry User

SAME!!! I'm desperate for help... and nothing seems to work. I've connected a few times but it's really slow or stops connecting.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Same problem. Maybe snow leopard doesnt support it or something. I have tried every tutorial out there, and none of them work
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    311E76D4

Have all of you either downloaded "tether" app previously known as tetherberry? Its on sale right now for $20 in appworld or enrolled in VZW's monthly tethering plan? (clearly the first option is better) its super simple after that......
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BCasella9189 View Post
    Have all of you either downloaded "tether" app previously known as tetherberry? Its on sale right now for $20 in appworld or enrolled in VZW's monthly tethering plan? (clearly the first option is better) its super simple after that......
    +1 get tether... I believe it even has 64 bit compatibility
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Assuming since Verizon is NOT GSM (no SIM card) and you have Snow Leopard installed, I believe this is how you tether your Mac to your blackberry via Blutooth. You should be able to do this for free without extra paid-for software installed.

Install Blackberry Desktop Manager for the Mac. You won't need to run it, but I believe it installs the drivers.

Then you pair the device with your Mac. You do this via the Bluetooth symbol on the top of the Mac's desktop bar. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on, on your Blackberry.

Assuming you complete the pairing, the Mac will automatically ask you if you want to connect via the Blackberry's modem. You will then have the opportunity to select the Handset model - You choose Research in Motion then then choose Blackberry IP Modem (CDMA). The settings are as follows:

APN: emgsm.vzw3g.com
    CID: 1

If you go to System Preferences, Network, Bluetooth DUN the settings should be:

No telephone number
    The Username is <10 digit phone #>@vzw3g.com
    The Password is vzw

Also make sure you select that the modem icon is on your desktop.

Optionally you can make sure that the info for APN and CID are correct by clicking on the 'Advanced' button.

That's it - your Mac should be tethered to your Blackberry without a pesky USB cable. You just go to the Modem icon (looks like a phone handset) on your Mac's desktop bar and choose Connect Bluetooth DUN and then you'll be websurfing.

Hope that helps. This isn't written anywhere any websites and as I don't have Verizon, this is all second-hand info from a series of links. Let me know if this actually worked for you! You may need to specify Blackberry IP Modem (GSM) driver even though you're using CDMA.

Let me know.
    Last edited by merouby; 01-10-2010 at 05:09 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

merouby....you can do this without paying the verizon fee?
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Statman View Post
    merouby....you can do this without paying the verizon fee?
    It's the same as browsing the web on your Blackberry. If you pay for that, then you pay the same for your tethering.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

Tether (a.k.a. Tetherberry) will not work if you have BB Desktop for Mac installed.
    This is the email I received from Tetherberry Support:

Tether is currently not supported with BlackBerry Desktop Manager for
    Mac installed. Tether is working on a solution. To resolve the issue
    you will need to uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac by following
    the below instructions:

Please check if any of the following files are on your system and if so,
    remove them.

Drag the following folder (if it exists) to the trash

/Library/Application Support/BlackBerry

Drag the following files (if they exist) to the trash.

/Application/BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.rim.BBLaunchAgent.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rim.BBDaemon.plist
    /System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBVSP.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSBDev.kext

Finally Reboot your system.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by merouby View Post
    It's the same as browsing the web on your Blackberry. If you pay for that, then you pay the same for your tethering.
    Not with verizon...all the threads I have read, you get a screen that comes up asking for a monthly tethering fee..I can confirm that you get redirected to pay the tethering charge with this setup....
    Last edited by Statman; 01-10-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by marckatz View Post
    Tether (a.k.a. Tetherberry) will not work if you have BB Desktop for Mac installed.
    This is the email I received from Tetherberry Support:

Tether is currently not supported with BlackBerry Desktop Manager for
    Mac installed. Tether is working on a solution. To resolve the issue
    you will need to uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac by following
    the below instructions:

Please check if any of the following files are on your system and if so,
    remove them.

Drag the following folder (if it exists) to the trash

/Library/Application Support/BlackBerry

Drag the following files (if they exist) to the trash.

/Application/BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.rim.BBLaunchAgent.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.rim.BBDaemon.plist
    /System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/RIMBBVSP.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSBDev.kext

Finally Reboot your system.
    Well it works for me and I have the DM installed...both usb and BT, however BT is very slow.
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm a newbie to MAC. Can anyone give me step by step for how to do this? I have a MacBook with Snow Leopard and a BB Storm.

I am able to "pair" the phone to the mac but when the screen pops up asking for the administrator password, etc., I enter it and then it says that it cannot use it as a "dial up" because bluetooth is not enabled and I am supposed to go to the Network Preferences to change it. (Stuck here...)

I see "BlackBerry" in the Network which popped up when I installed BB desktop mgr...It asks for similar information such as telephone number, account name and password - but no matter what I enter, it doesn't work.

I also see "Bluetooth PAN" in the Network but it only shows "STATUS: Not connected and No PAN Devices Found"

Please Help!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Well it works for me and I have the DM installed...both usb and BT, however BT is very slow.
    can u please tell me how u got it to work. i first paired my macbook pro with snowleopard to the computer. then once it had a bluetooth connection i lauched it both on the blackberry and tether on the macbook. clicked connect and it keeps telling me that it has no connection. and the computer says that bluetooth is connected....

i bought it last week for 20$ ish on here and i still cant get it to work
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Pierrohhh View Post
    can u please tell me how u got it to work. i first paired my macbook pro with snowleopard to the computer. then once it had a bluetooth connection i lauched it both on the blackberry and tether on the macbook. clicked connect and it keeps telling me that it has no connection. and the computer says that bluetooth is connected....
    i bought it last week for 20$ ish on here and i still cant get it to work
    I presume you mean you paired your mac to the device? Does it work using usb cable? Have you asked tether for support?
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Abuser

I presume you mean you paired your mac to the device? Does it work using usb cable? Have you asked tether for support?
    i did this morning. i find it a little stupid that a 50$ app doesnt come with instructions no matter how "simple" it is.
    CrackBerry Abuser

i did this morning. i find it a little stupid that a 50$ app doesnt come with instructions no matter how "simple" it is.
    glad you got it to work, but the price was $20 not $50....there are lots of worse apps out there.
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Abuser

the problem is not solved yet. i am waiting for the email from them. it is 50$, was on sale at 20$ but it is still a 50$ app technicly. even at 20$ it should have a guide
    CrackBerry Abuser

the problem is not solved yet. i am waiting for the email from them. it is 50$, was on sale at 20$ but it is still a 50$ app technicly. even at 20$ it should have a guide
    I had NO problem installing it and using it within 5 minutes...I guess some of us have a knack and others don't LOL...Did you check out their forums?They do offer a 30 day money back so why don't you get your $ back...
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    241ECE39

OK I am sort of in the same boat here. But I am TMO with a bold 9700 and a macbook pro running snow leopard, my curve tethered fine but I am not able to make my bold work, can anyone provide any assistance.

doug
    CrackBerry Abuser

yah well if they are not replying to my emails asking for help i dont think they will reply to my refund emails either ....
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by merouby View Post

Assuming you complete the pairing, the Mac will automatically ask you if you want to connect via the Blackberry's modem. You will then have the opportunity to select the Handset model - You choose Research in Motion then then choose Blackberry IP Modem (CDMA). The settings are as follows:

APN: emgsm.vzw3g.com
    CID: 1

If you go to System Preferences, Network, Bluetooth DUN the settings should be:

No telephone number
    The Username is <10 digit phone #>@vzw3g.com
    The Password is vzw

Also make sure you select that the modem icon is on your desktop.

Optionally you can make sure that the info for APN and CID are correct by clicking on the 'Advanced' button.

That's it - your Mac should be tethered to your Blackberry without a pesky USB cable. You just go to the Modem icon (looks like a phone handset) on your Mac's desktop bar and choose Connect Bluetooth DUN and then you'll be websurfing.

Let me know.

Confirmed this does NOT work....
    Connects to everything fine, but when you open the web, it redirects you to the blackberry tethering website......
    CrackBerry User

I believe all CDMA should have #777 for the phone number. I have Alltel and just checked mine and it is blank for bluetooth and there for hardwire (USB). Have attached 2 screen shots of mine. The newer BBDM for Mac has the drivers with it. If you don't have it installed you can go to BB website and download the drivers alone if you don't want BBDM. With the BBDM it gives you the option of selecting RIM for vendor whereas the older drivers from BB you have to select novatel in order to get CDMA support. Sorry have not been forced into vzw plans yet but it is coming. I pay $10 for tethering package with unlimited data but if I upgrade the phone the charge becomes $30 with a cap of 5GB, nice huh!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Macbook Pro Snow Leopard Blackberry Storm Bluetooth Tethering-screen-shot-2010-03-18-9.01.44-am.png   Macbook Pro Snow Leopard Blackberry Storm Bluetooth Tethering-screen-shot-2010-03-18-9.03.06-am.png  
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Default I DID IT! Problem Solved.

Ok guys, I finally found out how to fix the tethering issue we were having!! In fact, i'm writing this using my tethered laptop RIGHT NOW. I made an article in my blog about how to do it, so please look at it!!

How To Set Up Free Blackberry Bluetooth/USB Tethering On A Macbook With Snow Leopard Berry Storm