Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    PIN
    you may just ask me instead :D
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Mac users?

So with all the recent advancements of Blackberry OS and Mac, I was wondering how good the compatibility and the performance overall for folks who own blackberry phones but are using a MAC OS on their computers?

I'm currently on PC but I am getting an iMac by December and I was wondering what types of troubles i'll be dealing with in terms of:

BB's Desktop Manager
    Updating my OS manually
    App world, etc.
    and the likes
    "i lean against the wind, pretend that i am weightless--and in this moment i am happy" -incubus
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    yes I have one :)

Check out my post here-

Any other iPhone 4 peeps trying out the 9810

Suffice to say that I'm impressed.
  3. CGI
    CrackBerry Addict

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and have had no issues with how I try to make these devices work together.

Desktop Manager works just like the PC version.

I bluetooth files back and forth no problem.

I've not updated the OS, yet. So no experience there.

But... all good so far!
    CrackBerry User

Been using my BlackBerry paired up with MacBook for about 3 years now. So far I'm yet to encounter any problems at all. Can easily transfer files, pictures, videos and other documents by bluetooth or usb cable. Easy to sync as well.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by tkwolf View Post
    So with all the recent advancements of Blackberry OS and Mac, I was wondering how good the compatibility and the performance overall for folks who own blackberry phones but are using a MAC OS on their computers?

I'm currently on PC but I am getting an iMac by December and I was wondering what types of troubles i'll be dealing with in terms of:

BB's Desktop Manager
    Updating my OS manually
    App world, etc.
    and the likes
    Here's some issues I've had with Blackberry and Mac (OS 10.6.7 Snow Leopard):

Playbook: Reloading the OS is easy to do using Desktop Manager on Windows, but DM for Mac doesn't have that option. As far as I can tell, you can only do it from a Windows machine. DM gives you iTunes sync capability for Music, Vids and Pics, but you can also drag and drop files directly to the PB once the Mac sees it as a shared network device in any open window (USB).

Torch 9810: On Windows, you can tether straight from DM. DM for Mac doesn't have the same IP connect feature that the Windows version has (as far as I can tell). You have to set up the device manually through Network Settings on the Mac (it still must be connected through DM 1st.) See link: Tether 9810 torch with macbook lion - BlackBerry Forums Support Community
    Tether over USB works fine now, but I still can't seem to get the Mac to connect to the device over Bluetooth for tethering (it does connect over BT for file transfers no problem).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

You cant reinstall OS on DM for Mac
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by xterra2 View Post
    I haven't done it but on the newer Mac's you can get the Boot Camp program to use Windows on a Mac to upgrade the OS. I haven't had any problems with syncing everything through a Mac.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by xterra2 View Post
    But i assume i can do it via app loader when on MAC?

oh and thanks guys. what bewilders me a bit is that i've read posts about the Blackberry stuff being sluggish on MAC and that RIM is yet to understand that a lot of blackberry users, use MAC too, yada yada. Yet, in this thread, a lot of you say its fine.
    Last edited by tkwolf; 10-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    "i lean against the wind, pretend that i am weightless--and in this moment i am happy" -incubus
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,729 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tkwolf View Post
    But i assume i can do it via app loader when on MAC?
    Only if you are using the latest official OS from your carrier and use DM for Mac. Loader.exe is a Windows program, as are all .exe files. You need Windows to run App Loader.

You cannot install other carriers' official OSes, leaks, or hybrids. You also cannot shrink your OS. Any of those options require Windows.

BBSAK, Blackberry Master Control, Shrink-a-OS, BB Boss, CrackUtil, CrackMem also require Windows.
    Last edited by lak611; 10-01-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Only if you are using the latest official OS from your carrier and use DM for Mac. Loader.exe is a Windows program, as are all .exe files. You need Windows to run App Loader.

You cannot install other carriers' official OSes, leaks, or hybrids. You also cannot shrink your OS. Any of those options require Windows.

BBSAK, Blackberry Master Control, Shrink-a-OS, BB Boss, CrackUtil, CrackMem also require Windows.
    Looks like im gonna have to keep my vaio with me for blackberry then. Oh how special this device is, that it needs its own laptop lol