Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default bold 9700 won't connect to DM for mac

I've seen that this is common complaint, but have yet to find a workable solution:
    bold 9700 won't connect to DM for Mac version 2.0.0.
    OSX version 10.6.6
    computer: intel macbook pro

Long and the short of it is, though the 9700 is connected via USB (correctly!), DM won't recognize the phone as being connected. I want to update to OS-6 and sync, etc., and cannot do it.

Mass storage is enabled, fyi.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Also, I have installed and uninstalled DM a few times. Forgot to mention that.
    CrackBerry Genius

i have an intel macbook Pro as well ( early 2008 edition) and a 9800
    i'm running Snow Leopard as well.

have you tried using the bluetooth instead? Pair the 9700 through bluetooth and then establish a network connection through that.
    there are steps in the forum,it's pretty simple and easy..
    less than 5 minutes and you should be connected.
    that's what i've been doing.. and so far it's working flawlessly since aug 2010.

try that for a change

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/blu...utorial-33137/

or just do a Search in the forum for Tether, Mac, blackBerry
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 03-07-2011 at 06:27 PM.

CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try and report back.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No love with blue tooth tethering. I'm going to try and connect to a PC laptop and see if that makes a difference. Then I'll know if the Mac DM software is bugging or if my bold has a hardware issue. I was told by a tmobile rep, btw, that I can't do the update to OS6 via the Mac DM. You have a 9800 so not an issue for you with OS6 already on board. I'll update as I troubleshoot. cheers
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I have a client with the same issue. Though she can connect by rebooting with the phone connected, then starting DM first. This is a very annoying issue. She also had pocketmac installed (which I removed due to it being a nuisance to use, unfortunately, I had to remove it manually due to no uninstaller....), not sure if that's the cause or not.

Let us know what you find out. It's impractical to have to reboot each time you wanna sync.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I will keep you posted. I also had pocket mac installed previously to updating to the DM for mac (which finally had media management). I've been wondering if the uninstall of pocketmac was incomplete and causing a compatibility issue. I've since been able to connect my 9700 to a PC, so it is a mac issue (possibly specific to having had pocketmac previously installed; as you said, there is no uninstaller). I'll keep trouble-shooting.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Well Pocketmac never had trouble connecting (I blame the installation of it for this issue), but the sync GUI is lacking. Seems like a waste of money to me. But yea, let me know if you find something to remove, plist maybe? That might fix it. Thought I got em all?

Fun times.
    CrackBerry User

Is your BlackBerry on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by anselmnoel View Post
    No love with blue tooth tethering. I'm going to try and connect to a PC laptop and see if that makes a difference. Then I'll know if the Mac DM software is bugging or if my bold has a hardware issue. I was told by a tmobile rep, btw, that I can't do the update to OS6 via the Mac DM. You have a 9800 so not an issue for you with OS6 already on board. I'll update as I troubleshoot. cheers
    i forgot to mention, that i also have a BlackBerry 9000 ( Bold) which is about 3 yrs old runnning on OS 5 that has no problem being tethered to a Mac.
    so i'm sure there's something missing with what you're doing

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    The Number of the Beast

I actually have the exact problem.

The mac recognizes the device, because I can access all folders and files through finder. However, DM says to please connect my device.

Can you sync through Bluetooth?

All I want to do is create a back-up and sync all my contacts. to Address Book.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    20DD7236

Boot your mac osx in 32bit, then DM will connect your BB.
    CrackBerry Newbie

As Parkerdension says: boot your mac in 32bit mode. It's really annoying to have to do this, but despite being aware of this issue for a while now, RIM is yet to offer software which works on the newest MacBooks in their default 64-bit mode. I'm not allowed to post links here, but you'll plenty about it on the BB support forums if you search under 64-bit.

To boot your mac in 32-bit mode, restart it and hold down both '3' and '2' keys as it loads the OS.