Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 5.0 and Tethering to a Mac

Hi Folks,

Yes, I've searched and searched the forums. There's a lot of older information out there about the difficulties with tethering to a mac, but I've not found anything conclusive about workarounds with the new BB OS. If I've missed the answer, please point me to it.

I have a G4 with 10.6xx os that I use only once in a while. In the past I was able to tether my Verizon Storm 9530 using Verizon Access Manager (I have a vague memory that it's the VZAM version for the Moto Q that works with the Storm) without problem.

However, this weekend I tried to tether without any luck. This was my first time trying to connect since I upgraded the BB OS to 5.0.0.419 a couple of weeks ago.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the VZAM, but the Storm could not be found during setup. From what I can glean this is an issue with Verizon and RIM breaking compatibility with the new BB OS. I read somewhere that the newer Desktop Manager has a tethering option in it, but I also read that if you install the Desktop Manager, your VZAM won't work anymore (but may be redundant anyway).

I have downloaded but not installed the new DM for my mac. Any advice before I install?

Thank you.
    KC
    NYC
    5.0.0.419 OS
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,990 Global Posts

Check the version of VZAM you are using. The PC's have had problems with the newest version, but worked with version 6.9.

I don't know about the new Mac DM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DJM1947 View Post
    Check the version of VZAM you are using. The PC's have had problems with the newest version, but worked with version 6.9.

I don't know about the new Mac DM.
    Yes, I'd read that about PCs and 6.9. But the version I'm using for the mac (that worked previously) is VZAM 4.2.2

No Joy
    KC
    NYC
    5.0.0.419 OS
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Anyone out there with advice?

Right now I got nuthin!

Thanks.
    KC
    NYC
    5.0.0.419 OS
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    3053A00D

How did you get snow leapord on a g4? if you are indeed runing 10.6 on a ppc proc I can try something later this evening and get back to you.
    The chains which once held us are only the chains which we've made.

I work for Verizon Wireless
    Feel free to pin or pm me with questions.
    CrackBerry User

Best advice would be to install Windows on VMWare. That's what everyone on another forum is suggesting to do.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Nomass View Post
    How did you get snow leapord on a g4? if you are indeed runing 10.6 on a ppc proc I can try something later this evening and get back to you.
    UPDATE: I am now tethered to my Mac (OSX 10.5.6 - Leopard). All I did was install BB Desktop Manager for Mac, v. 1.0.2, Connect my Storm, go to network settings in the Mac's system prefs, click on the BB that shows up, and set up a modem that dials #777 (no username or password). It connected perfectly and I'm now typing from the Mac while tethered.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Duderotamy; 01-11-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    KC
    NYC
    5.0.0.419 OS

Global Posts
    33,119 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I'm moving this thread to our Mac Users Forum
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Duderotamy View Post
    UPDATE: I am now tethered to my Mac (OSX 10.5.6 - Leopard). All I did was install BB Desktop Manager for Mac, v. 1.0.2, Connect my Storm, go to network settings in the Mac's system prefs, click on the BB that shows up, and set up a modem that dials #777 (no username or password). It connected perfectly and I'm now typing from the Mac while tethered.

Thanks.
    and paying for tethering from verizon? get Tether and save some $
    Statman
    8830 WE VZW
    4.6.1.305 hybrid
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

use tether.com works great
    Juan Too Big Perez
    DJ2BIG.COM