Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Make the 5.0 jump?

I have been contemplating making the jump to os 5.0 for about 2 months now but since my Tour is my 1st Blackberry I am quite nervous. I have been hearing so much good though that I think I am ready to give it a try.

So first question. Is 5.0 worth it? What is hybrid and is that needed? (I have read that what ever it is it is recommended)

Second question. If it is worth it where can I get the files I need to get going along with directions.

Third question. I want to make sure that my favorite apps will still work. I use facebook, stitcher, google maps, yahoo fantasy football and blackberry app world.

Thank you in advance for everyones help! And I am sorry if this thread already exists as I couldn't find it if it does.
    CrackBerry User

YES 5.0 is def worth the upgrade. I have only been using it for a day and all I can say is WOW. I will never go back to 4.7.

The 5.0 file can be found here > http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...-230-a-319863/

Irtehun's Hybrid can be found here > BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 - 50v7.11 (5.0.0.230 based)

When I did my install I followed these instructions and it was simple http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/tour-hybrid-273397/
    While in Shrink a OS its up to you what you want and don't want to use. I used the links above because I found the ones in the the post with the instructions were not the most current and up to date. Also if you are up to it you can switch the radios. I haven't switched my radio files yet because I haven't noticed a reason to yet how I have only been using 5.0 with Irtehun's hybrid for one day. If you would like to switch the radio also here's the link for that with instructions also > Wanna Make 50v7.11 FASTER and Get a Better Radio??? - BBHybrids Forums

Follow those directions and you'll be set and golden. Trust me you'll never want to go back.
    Last edited by flyers2500; 12-02-2009 at 01:51 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Yes do the upgrade to 5.0 hybrid 7.11 with the .191 radio input mentioned above... You will be glad you did... Your tour becomes 10x fastser... And u will love the threaded texting a lot

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

It's absolutely worth it. I too got the tour as my 1st berry ever. After doing some research I made the jump to 5.0 with irtehun's hybrid mentioned in the 1st reply above. I followed the directions and everything works great. The threaded texting and slightly improved interface is well worth the half hour it'll take to load it onto your phone. Go for it.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts

.230 is very stable and won't have the many issues. Hybrids are considered better. I think that once you get to know how to do stuff like this, you'll feel a lot more confortable with your bberry and start messing around with it. Doing so will show you how capable these devices are and you'll be more addicted to them.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Just made the jump yesterday and could not be more pleased. BTW, I am having no radio problems on .230 Hybrid here in Indiana.

CrackBerry Abuser

I have tried .230 twice from fresh wipes and my tour kept freezing up. The only way to clear the freeze was a battery pull. It may have been an incompatible app, although not sure. I never went thhrough the process of elimination.

I have never tried a hybrid. hhmmmmmm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Personally I always wait for official releases
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rutkind View Post
    I have been contemplating making the jump to os 5.0 for about 2 months now but since my Tour is my 1st Blackberry I am quite nervous. I have been hearing so much good though that I think I am ready to give it a try.

So first question. Is 5.0 worth it? What is hybrid and is that needed? (I have read that what ever it is it is recommended)

Second question. If it is worth it where can I get the files I need to get going along with directions.

Third question. I want to make sure that my favorite apps will still work. I use facebook, stitcher, google maps, yahoo fantasy football and blackberry app world.

Thank you in advance for everyones help! And I am sorry if this thread already exists as I couldn't find it if it does.
    5.0.230 is pretty stable, but if you dont want to go through the hassel of putting a leaked OS on the Tour, you can wait a few weeks for the Official 5.0 to come out for the Tour. Its said to be out by the end of this month
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!

I have not even gone for the new Verizon 4.7 upgrade but I love that the hybrid now has its own hybrid for a better radio (wonder if this would help with my less than stellar signals in the mountains where my 8830 never flinched!!!!)
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Alright I installed .230 with 7.11 hybrid this morning. Now to let it work itself out. (I am a little confused about how this will work but I'll just take the word of those who have gone before me)

My only problem right now is the red led indicator keeps blinking. Why won't it stop I don't have any new messages.

Thank you! Now off to reload all my apps!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rutkind View Post
    Alright I installed .230 with 7.11 hybrid this morning. Now to let it work itself out. (I am a little confused about how this will work but I'll just take the word of those who have gone before me)

My only problem right now is the red led indicator keeps blinking. Why won't it stop I don't have any new messages.

Thank you! Now off to reload all my apps!
    are you running any type of LED apps like berrybuzz? or is your batterry low? try a battery pull if it doesn't stop.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miguel11691 View Post
    Yes do the upgrade to 5.0 hybrid 7.11 with the .191 radio input mentioned above... You will be glad you did... Your tour becomes 10x fastser... And u will love the threaded texting a lot

Same experience here. You won't be disappointed. This is how the Tour should have run from the start!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    PIN
    308A3188

I did the 5.0.0.230 for my 8330, and I hated it.

5.0 on the storm is AWESOME!

Huge fan.