Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Irtehun's Tour Hybrid (50v7.9)

    I have a pretty elementary question that I am hoping someone can help me with. Before you ask, I've already searched the forums without finding the answer to this itch. I have downloaded the Tour's leaked 5.0 OS (the .230 version), but it has some flaws. So now, I want to make it a hybrid. I have already downloaded Irtehun's 50v7.9 hybrid to my computer, and all I need to know is how to proceed. What do I do next? Do I load it with the desktop manager? Is there shrinking involved? How? Thank you.
  2. Xquisite30's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    86 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    i am in the same spot you are barredbard..i have 5.0.230 and am looking to get irtehuns hybrid..i wonder if we just install it onto our phone after we install 5.0?
    My Blackberry thinks, therefore I am
  3. jfenton's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    A) Make sure that all other OS versions except for the leaked .230 have been uninstalled from your computer

    B) Right click on the hybrid and Run as Administrator

    C) When Shrink OS opens, check off those items you don't want to bother installing (games, foreign language support, etc.)

    D) Use the install button right out of Shrink OS. It will automatically delete the vendor.xml folder. The BB installer will now open and just run it.
    Jim Fenton
    Haverhill, Ma
    9630 Tour
    Sprint
  4. Foulwx's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Ok, you've installed 230 on your PC. Now you need to run Irtehun's hybrid program on your PC. (BTW, it is now version 7.10 for everyone, and up to 7.11 for VIPs. I have run both - they are both great.)

    The hybrid program will overwrite selected files in your 230 folder. This updates many of the java files to newer versions. From there, it will automatically open Shrink-A-OS which lets you eliminate some parts of the OS that you may never want, and it gives you more free memory on your phone. Personally, I don't bother to shrink since I have plenty of memory left on the Tour.

    After that, you canrun the loader program from within Shrink-A-OS and it will load the new hybrid.


    As an aside, the way I do it is (purely technique):
    Back up the phone
    Load the OS on the PC, and then shut down Shrink when it opens
    Run BBSAK - Wipe phone to 507 message (no operating system on phone)
    Run loader from within BBSAK
    pick which parts of the OS you want
    Restore stuff from backup
    (I use advanced, and just restore phone numbers, calendars, important stuff, etc.)

    **WARNING** - don't forget to backup with Desktop Manager before doing this!

    Other questions? You can also check out BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids.

    Hope this helps.
  5. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfenton57 View Post
    A) Make sure that all other OS versions except for the leaked .230 have been uninstalled from your computer

    B) Right click on the hybrid and Run as Administrator

    C) When Shrink OS opens, check off those items you don't want to bother installing (games, foreign language support, etc.)

    D) Use the install button right out of Shrink OS. It will automatically delete the vendor.xml folder. The BB installer will now open and just run it.
    Thank you, Mr. Fenton; I appreciate the fast response. However, I am a bit of a noob, so I have a few more questions, if you don't mind. 1) Where exactly are the OS stored in my computer, i.e. where are the files? I only see them on DM. 2) What happens if my vendor file is deleted? I've always fought shy of deleting it, just in case it prevents me from getting the official updates from Sprint. 3) If I uninstall all the other (official versions), where will I find them again if I want to downgrade back to the original, just in case the hybrid doesn't work out for me? I like having an escape hatch, and it currently gives me great comfort that I have 2 official and one unofficial OS on my computer.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-17-2009 at 08:09 AM.
  6. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xquisite30 View Post
    i am in the same spot you are barredbard..i have 5.0.230 and am looking to get irtehuns hybrid..i wonder if we just install it onto our phone after we install 5.0?
    No, I think it is mostly done with the phone attached to the computer via USB. Here's the link that I downloaded the hybrid from: BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 - 50v7.9 (5.0.0.230 Based)
  7. Foulwx's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Believe me, when Sprint releases an official OS 5 for the Tour, everyone will know on Crackberry. Then you can go to blackberry.com and download it to your PC.

    At that point, I would delete any old OS's on your computer (using the control panel). If you have a hybrid installed, you can manually go in and clean up the entire folder since he control panel/remove program won't delete the hybrid files.

    The operating systems are found on your PC in:
    C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files.
    For 64 bit windows, it will be under Program Files(x86).

    The folder will be named something like: 9630AMEA_v5.0.0.230_P4.2.0.61
  8. jlangleyrn's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    BarredBard I was leary of deleting the vendor file so I didn't for my original .230 download and I never had any problems, I later upgraded with great happiness to .78, then .79, currently uploading and installing 7.10 as I am submitting this. I never had a real phone problem from not deleting the vendor file until .78, which for an unknown reason was logging me into US cellular when I was updating my PRL, not Verizon. I quickly decided that I needed to delete the vendor file (I never posted any questions about it because I didn't want to ask when I was certain that I knew the answer) so I found it right where they said it would be, deleted it and reloaded .230, reloaded the .78 hybrid and never had any trouble again with my phone dialing US cellular on PRL updates. I later updated to .79 which was wonderful due to the great increases in speed and it just seems more stable; not having to perform the daily battery pulls or getting random 3G icon but not having data coverage and the occassional 1XEV and 3G flip flopping signals. I set a personal record for my current Tour and went 8 days without a battery pull which was unheard of with stock OS for me and made even worse with .230 leak. I have been so much happier with these hybrids that I have fell in love with my Tour again, it is not the same phone that I had before!!! I have read of a few people on sprint having prl updating issues, however it seems to be only a few, who also seem to be having them with each upgrade leading me to believe it is NOT the fault of the hybrid, just my unscientific and uneducated decision.

    Take the plunge and try it, if you are afraid to delete the vendor file then just make a backup of the .230 file in a seperate area of your hard drive, then you always have a fresh .230 to reload from in the event of a problem. I admit it is scary the first and second time but right now I am not worried about it at all because I trust Irtehun's work and would trust anyone from bbhybrids.net . In the event that you have a worse case scenario then you brick your BB, which I have decided means nothing except a clean slate has been obtained because I purposefully did this on my last replacement Tour and easily recovered it using instructions on loading an OS 101. SO, JUST DO IT, you will feel so much more like a man than you have ever before (assumming you are a man)
    Let us know what you did and I will let others know what I find with7.10 which just finished uploading now.
  9. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foulwx View Post
    Believe me, when Sprint releases an official OS 5 for the Tour, everyone will know on Crackberry. Then you can go to blackberry.com and download it to your PC.

    At that point, I would delete any old OS's on your computer (using the control panel). If you have a hybrid installed, you can manually go in and clean up the entire folder since he control panel/remove program won't delete the hybrid files.

    The operating systems are found on your PC in:
    C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files.
    For 64 bit windows, it will be under Program Files(x86).

    The folder will be named something like: 9630AMEA_v5.0.0.230_P4.2.0.61
    Thank you; I really appreciate the info. I am searching for 7.11 now, rather than installing 7.9 which is apparently outdated.
  10. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremylangley View Post
    BarredBard I was leary of deleting the vendor file so I didn't for my original .230 download and I never had any problems, I later upgraded with great happiness to .78, then .79, currently uploading and installing 7.10 as I am submitting this. I never had a real phone problem from not deleting the vendor file until .78, which for an unknown reason was logging me into US cellular when I was updating my PRL, not Verizon. I quickly decided that I needed to delete the vendor file (I never posted any questions about it because I didn't want to ask when I was certain that I knew the answer) so I found it right where they said it would be, deleted it and reloaded .230, reloaded the .78 hybrid and never had any trouble again with my phone dialing US cellular on PRL updates. I later updated to .79 which was wonderful due to the great increases in speed and it just seems more stable; not having to perform the daily battery pulls or getting random 3G icon but not having data coverage and the occassional 1XEV and 3G flip flopping signals. I set a personal record for my current Tour and went 8 days without a battery pull which was unheard of with stock OS for me and made even worse with .230 leak. I have been so much happier with these hybrids that I have fell in love with my Tour again, it is not the same phone that I had before!!! I have read of a few people on sprint having prl updating issues, however it seems to be only a few, who also seem to be having them with each upgrade leading me to believe it is NOT the fault of the hybrid, just my unscientific and uneducated decision.

    Take the plunge and try it, if you are afraid to delete the vendor file then just make a backup of the .230 file in a seperate area of your hard drive, then you always have a fresh .230 to reload from in the event of a problem. I admit it is scary the first and second time but right now I am not worried about it at all because I trust Irtehun's work and would trust anyone from bbhybrids.net . In the event that you have a worse case scenario then you brick your BB, which I have decided means nothing except a clean slate has been obtained because I purposefully did this on my last replacement Tour and easily recovered it using instructions on loading an OS 101. SO, JUST DO IT, you will feel so much more like a man than you have ever before (assumming you are a man)
    Let us know what you did and I will let others know what I find with7.10 which just finished uploading now.
    Thanks, Jeremy; I really do appreciate the information. Personally, I have always been content with the stock OS, but 4.7 leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly; never have I despised an OS with such passion. As of 5 days ago, any attempt I made to download software to my phone came up with 'outofmemory' errors and 'verification' errors. All this, in spite of the fact that I had 80MB of memory to spare. Added to this, I bricked my phone not once, or twice, but three times, just doing routine stuff like downloading google maps. I was so antagonized by it that I decided it was time to fiddle with the leaks. But .230 was not quite the answer to my prayers. The battery drain was fearsome, I had sporadic bluetooth/stereo headset issues, my media files were misnamed, and I had texting issues. So I decided to try the hybrids and see if they'll be a viable solution until Rim decides to salvage its wreck of an OS. I will keep you posted of my progress. Oh, and I am a man, as denoted by my family jewels, not that you had any way of knowing...
  11. jlangleyrn's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    hehe, you go Man, let us know how it works out, better yet let us know if you tell her what is the world you are doing to your $500 phone!!!! I gave up explaining and she decided that was fine. Good Luck, mine is running great for now as far as I can tell.
  12. willyboy6's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barredbard View Post
    Thank you; I really appreciate the info. I am searching for 7.11 now, rather than installing 7.9 which is apparently outdated.
    7.10 is the highest version available to the public today. 7.11 is for VIP's if I'm not mistaken.
    Treat my First like my Last and my Last like my First....

    Follow me on twitter @willyboy6
  13. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Thanks Jeremlylangly and Foulwx; your help was invaluable. I believe I am finally running my first hybrid. I didn't delete the previous OS from my computer as I was instructed because I couldn't find it in my control panel (in the 'uninstall program' window). Nor did I delete my vendor file; I figured I'd do that only if absolutely neccesary. So essentially, I downloaded 7.10, and loaded it on my phone. It is currently reading version 5.0.0.238, which leads me to believe that it was successful (please let me know if yours is reading something different, and you are running 7.10 because that would mean that I am not half the genius I hope I am). I am giving it a whirl to see if the various problems I encountered with the basic .230 have been fixed. The texting problem remains; when I hit send it doesn't send right away and I have to back out, and then go back in to text. In a few hours I will know if the battery issue remains. The rapid battery-drain was my biggest issue and will be a deal breaker if it persists.

    Jeremy: you are absolutely right. The missus is actually pretty steamed at me right now. Thinks I spend more time with 'that thing' than I do with her. Not true, I protested. I am only trying to fix it, I said. She remains unconvinced, and I doubt I'll be getting dinner tonight. The things we do for our Blackberrys...
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.
  14. willyboy6's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    @Barredbard.

    Make sure you cycle your phone a couple times with at least 3 battery pulls, update the PRL after your last pull, and get all your reinstalls/upgrades for apps done before your final batt pull. After a day or two and a couple batt pulls your phone should be running much smoother. After my first hybrid install my initial reaction was "this is it???". Still got the same lag in the same places, in fact in the first hour it seemed worse than before.

    I'll never forget driphter telling me it usually takes berry's a couple hours/days and battery pulls to "normalize" and you'll be impressed in no time.

    Needless to say, many months later, and many hybrids later, i am nothing but satisfied. You will be too.
    Treat my First like my Last and my Last like my First....

    Follow me on twitter @willyboy6
  15. esoh's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default Updating Hybrids

    Quick question for a hybrid noob (and yes, I did a search).

    - I'm running 4.7 on a Sprint Tour and am looking to move up to 5
    - Can't wait anymore for an official release, so seriously thinking about getting VIP and running a hybrid

    One of my pet peeves is that everytime I upgrade a new OS or get a new Tour (I'm on my third), I have to spend about 1/2 day getting everything right on it (load OS (or get new Tour), go through entire device and update settings (Options, Apps, etc), download and install apps (and work through settings), etc.). It's just such a waste of time.

    Anyway, let's say that I install 5.0v11 and then v12 comes out. If I install that version, is it just as easy to update the individual files that are released (in the java folder I'm assuming) and the settings are preserved, or is it back to square one again? Just curious.

    Thanks.
  16. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    @Willy; thanks. I'll do that before deciding that it is not working for me. I am usually pretty quick on the draw. I am not sure what a PRL is, nor how to update it, but I'll try everything else you mentioned...
  17. rgarling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,543 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN
    K like the bing on your cherry..
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barredbard View Post
    @Willy; thanks. I'll do that before deciding that it is not working for me. I am usually pretty quick on the draw. I am not sure what a PRL is, nor how to update it, but I'll try everything else you mentioned...
    PRL is the towers in your area basically. you can update it by doing *228 on your phone. i haven't worked in the cellular industry for almost 2 years now, i believe it's called a preferred roaming list.
    I HAVE RETIRED FROM THEMEING.


    Well, hello there Droid X, I have been waiting for you...
  18. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    rgarling....long time no speak. I love the role reversal, and you never let on that you previously been a rep! I am beholden to you. I did call *228 to try updating my PRL, but it just took me to the regular customer care menu. (I am on Sprint).
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-18-2009 at 03:44 AM.
  19. Barredbard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    490 Posts
    PIN
    Pin-free
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    I figured out another way to update the preferred list manually; Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > BB Menu Key > Update Preferred List. To my suprise, it rebooted my phone, so now I am anxiously waiting to see if that'll screw anything up. I probably should have let sleeping dogs lie, since I didn;t delete my vendor file during the upgrade, and I hear that can be a problem.

    Update: Phone rebooted just fine. No discernible difference from upgrading my PRL.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 11-18-2009 at 04:30 AM.
  20. lorrix's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #20  

    Default For Randy

    Just wanted to bump this up for someone who's looking for this information!

    Reformed Lurker
  21. SoCaliTrojan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    404 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barredbard View Post
    I figured out another way to update the preferred list manually; Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > BB Menu Key > Update Preferred List. To my suprise, it rebooted my phone, so now I am anxiously waiting to see if that'll screw anything up. I probably should have let sleeping dogs lie, since I didn;t delete my vendor file during the upgrade, and I hear that can be a problem.

    Update: Phone rebooted just fine. No discernible difference from upgrading my PRL.
    Your phone will reboot if you have os 5.0 and you sent service books to your phone. To fix it, you have to reinstall the os and update the prl (and avoid sending service books to your phone).

    I wonder if we can delete the service books instead of reinstalling the OS...hmmm

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posting Permissions