Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB 9810 7.1.0.284 Mobile Hotspot?

Can anyone confirm whether or not Hotspot still works on this build with ATT without activation?
    Pearl 8100>Torch 9800>Torch 9810
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,320 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajrs0 View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether or not Hotspot still works on this build with ATT without activation?
    You would have to test it. I haven't heard any of the grandfathered ATT users say different.
    OSBB member. Thanks BlkScorp!

Happy Holidays!!!

Follow my Star Wars fan channel C0007096C

"I'd rather you view me as an 'Elitist' than an 'Entitlist', means I'm a proactive DOER than a proactive complainer" - Mecca
    CrackBerry Abuser

I installed .284 this morning, and it seems to be working just fine.

I'm on ATT with a grandfathered unlimited plan without tethering. I don't use the hotspot feature very often, but I just turned it on and connected my Playbook to test.
    Thanked by:
    Bocajrs0 (03-14-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by marcho11 View Post
    I installed .284 this morning, and it seems to be working just fine.

I'm on ATT with a grandfathered unlimited plan without tethering. I don't use the hotspot feature very often, but I just turned it on and connected my Playbook to test.
    Great..Im also on the unlimited data plan. Any differences between this build and .258? BTW, this is a great story:

man sues AT&T for Throttling unlimited data and wins Virgin take note! - Android Forums
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    but not here

um... xxxxxxx
    Last edited by raymond; 03-14-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: nevermind im crazy
    And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.

It's a series of tubes.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Working for me with no trouble.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks - Just updated last night and hotspot is working for me as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Don't forget, especially since you posted that link to the article, that our grandfathered unlimited plan doesn't include tethering for most of us. If you start using hotspot too much, they'll ask you to "upgrade" to a 5gig tethering plan.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Don't forget, especially since you posted that link to the article, that our grandfathered unlimited plan doesn't include tethering for most of us. If you start using hotspot too much, they'll ask you to "upgrade" to a 5gig tethering plan.
    I only plan on using when I travel. And even if they see a spike and ask me to upgrade, I will not oblige.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

I only plan on using when I travel. And even if they see a spike and ask me to upgrade, I will not oblige.
    My plan, too. Most of the time, I have wifi or wired connections. But there are those times when only my personal hotspot will do.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

One really interesting note. When I got hotspot working in .258, I tried it with my netbook. Worked perfect. It also works fine with .284. Except!!!! I just added a Playbook for a job I'm starting. Hotspot connects fine. Opera, Dolphin, Tapatalk all work fine with the hotspot. Native email can't find a connection. And the native browser gives me a message about needing a tethering plan. Very wierd. You'd thing that RIM's own software would behave.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

I see - I had no issues connecting my laptops and my T Thrive - Although the Playbook is tempting, i just dont like the 7" form factor. Hopefully RIM will come out with a 10" Playbook soon
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    One really interesting note. When I got hotspot working in .258, I tried it with my netbook. Worked perfect. It also works fine with .284. Except!!!! I just added a Playbook for a job I'm starting. Hotspot connects fine. Opera, Dolphin, Tapatalk all work fine with the hotspot. Native email can't find a connection. And the native browser gives me a message about needing a tethering plan. Very wierd. You'd thing that RIM's own software would behave.
    I pretty much only plan on using hotspot sporadically also. So I don't think that my usage will spike much or very often.

The few times I've activated my hotspot have all been to connect my playbook when out of wifi options. I don't seem to have any issues at all. Everything on the PB works perfect.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Default 9900

....may be a little off topic. loaded .284 on my 9900 today. first 7.1 build I've installed. my hotspot (att) seems to be working. haven't used it much, mostly just to test the connection and it's speed using my playbook. I have carried over an unlimited data plan from back in 2006. not sure if the wifi hotspot is included or my data usage will be under surveillance here out and soon be requested to "upgrade" the plan.

How much can a person use the hotspot before the evil empire comes knocking? I don't plan to use it much, perhaps once in a while, when it proves itself useful.
    Bold 9000/Bold 9700/Bold 9900
    Focus/GSII
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    ....may be a little off topic. loaded .284 on my 9900 today. first 7.1 build I've installed. my hotspot (att) seems to be working. haven't used it much, mostly just to test the connection and it's speed using my playbook. I have carried over an unlimited data plan from back in 2006. not sure if the wifi hotspot is included or my data usage will be under surveillance here out and soon be requested to "upgrade" the plan.

How much can a person use the hotspot before the evil empire comes knocking? I don't plan to use it much, perhaps once in a while, when it proves itself useful.
    Not sure. I have the grandfathered unlimited, too. I've used it a little, but not much. It appears they don't take note of a few quick bursts. But I think they'd pay attention if your overall usage if it consistently exceeds previous use by a noticeable amount.

Also, piggybacking an update on a previous post, here: it seems that perhaps the Playbook or the hotspot need a little settling in together. A later retry of some included apps (browser and email) worked as they should. Or hotspot might have a little flakiness, just to keep life interesting. But all seems to be working well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just finished installing OS 7.1.0.284 on my 9810 and my track pad doesn't work in all menus of my phone.....Can anyone please help me to fix this?