What is content protection?
    07-07-07 07:08 AM
    It protects all the data on the phone. The down side to using it, it affects how caller ID displays...
    If you want added security, add a password in the same section where you are, at the top of that window. And, set it to turn on automatically after X minutes...
    07-07-07 07:22 AM
    It protects all the data on the phone. The down side to using it, it affects how caller ID displays...
    If you want added security, add a password in the same section where you are, at the top of that window. And, set it to turn on automatically after X minutes...
    I'm not using the bb for voice - only for data - is the content protection encrypting the data stored within the blackberry?
    07-07-07 07:23 AM
    Yes, if you're not using it for voice, then you could use it (albeit you could use it regardless). When you first turn it on, it takes a while since it goes through ALL your data...
    07-07-07 07:27 AM
    Yes, if you're not using it for voice, then you could use it (albeit you could use it regardless). When you first turn it on, it takes a while since it goes through ALL your data...
    If the content protection encrypts the email that is stored on the blackberry, I assume there is some sort of performance hit?

If so, is the performance hit only when you turn on the blackberry?

Thanks.
    07-07-07 07:29 AM
    To be honest, I don't use that feature, so am not sure. I doubt it would be that much, if any. If only needs to encrypt the data ONCE, plus any new data...
    07-07-07 08:31 AM
    Thank you Navilyn for clarifying what "content protection" actually is and what it does. When I tried asking tech support about it, they basically said you really don't need to turn that on but I still didn't know if it was beneficial to use or not.

There is a lot of legal data stored on my BlackBerry that I would want protected but..............

When you said that it affects how caller ID is displayed, can you elaborate on that? Say you called me, would it show your number or name or would it just show unknown caller etc.??

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Gia
    07-07-07 12:39 PM
    If someone called, it would not show the name IF it's in your address book, since the data is encrypted...
    07-07-07 03:28 PM
    If someone called, it would not show the name IF it's in your address book, since the data is encrypted...
    Seems like a funny way for it to act. What's the connection between an entry in the address book and an email being encrypted. Thanks.
    07-07-07 04:54 PM
    The address, i.e. the contact - since ALL data is encrypted, i.e contacts / addressbook...

So, you receive an email / call, it checks the from field against your addressbook.

Make sense?
    07-07-07 05:07 PM
    Thanks once again Navilyn for explaining it in detail. As always you are great! You're even better than some of the guys at RIM that I've spoken to.

Gia
    07-07-07 05:41 PM
    The address, i.e. the contact - since ALL data is encrypted, i.e contacts / addressbook...

So, you receive an email / call, it checks the from field against your addressbook.

Make sense?
    If it encrypts the data, then why doesn't it encrypt all the data?

That is, if an email comes in and is stored in the blackberry, why does the blackberry care if the sender was in the address book or not?
    07-07-07 10:06 PM
    BlackBerry data is encrypted, period. But, I can't say to what level, i.e. 64bit or 128bit, etc, etc - thus my previous post "...to a degree".
    07-08-07 03:52 AM
    Hmm, this may help. I've not listed to it yet...
    07-08-07 04:00 AM
    BlackBerry data is encrypted, period. But, I can't say to what level, i.e. 64bit or 128bit, etc, etc - thus my previous post "...to a degree".
    That's helpful. What I'm really interested in knowing is exactly where this encryption is. That is, are you saying that the wireless traffic between the bb and where ever it is connecting with has this 64-bit or 128-bit encryption?
    07-08-07 06:47 PM
    ...well, you certainly need someone with more expertise than me to assist.
    07-08-07 07:21 PM
    I am using BB 9700 from T-Mobile in KSA (STC). I have the encryptions disabled but still am not able to see contact names saved with international dialing code i.e. +996551890005 when I receive a call. The contact names appear when I receive a SMS

However all contact saved without international dialing codes show up when I receive a call.

Please Help

P.S. This is the first time I am using BB
    01-23-10 03:45 AM
    I just got my BB Tour 9630 (Sprint) and this really sucks! I need access to my emails in my address book but it keeps showing <content protection enabled>! I have a business to run... Wtf RIM? That's why I'm so close to to jumping on the iPhone! I need major help asap please...
    01-28-10 01:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD