Hey,

Just got an 8320 (unreal). However, I don't have the installation cd and I'm trying to set up the desktop manager (want to manage music, rintones, wallpapers, etc...). I've tried to DL the software from BB.com which has seemingly worked but my computer will NOT recognize my BB for some reason. Tried hardware wizard/whatnot...any ideas???!!
    This may be a simple fix but notice my status...I'm new at this!

Much appreciated in advance
    10-20-08 03:51 AM
    You also need to d/load and install the operating system (OS)
    for your phone. You can get that here: T-Mobile BB Software
    10-20-08 04:05 AM
    I checked out the T-Mobile site and apparently I have the most recent version of the OS on my phone...any other ideas?
    10-20-08 04:32 AM
    Download DM4.6 from the RIM website. I think you have to look in the Bold pages, last time I was there it wasn't in the main download area.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Help | BlackBerry Smartphone Help

Well... that's the link for 4.6 which supports Bold. If you need an earlier version the others are also there but I would try 4.6 first.
    10-20-08 07:21 AM
    Branta,

I've got 4.6 and I've also got the most recent software (listed under 8320 on the bb website). The DM seems to be working, but does not recognize that my bb is connected. Funny enough, though the phone is not recognized, it charges when it's connected?!
    I've searched for hints and have noticed that if you got to connection settings in the DM and then hit detect, this will attempt to recognize the phone. Problem is, when I open connection settings in my DM there is no detect button in the place that is outlined...that is a mystery to me.

Again, this may be a simple fix (ie. somthing obvious I'm missing) but I'm trying everything and it's killing me! haha

Something else I didn't think about until now that I should mention is that I am using an unlocked bb from T-mobile (US) but I am in Germany. I have a German pay as you go SIM. My phone is used and from a friend who bought it in the US but used it through Rogers Wireless in Canada without issue and I'm assuming installed everything on his computer without issue. I left the installation CD at home and updating/installing software through T-mobile (US) is not possible (or so I think??) because I do not have a 10-digit phone number as they require before I DL with them.
    Last edited by badaguy; 10-21-08 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more additional info
    10-21-08 08:25 AM
    Dont worry about the cd... you can get everything you need online. Welcome to CB
    10-21-08 10:31 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The first issue is connecting to your computer. If you are using Windows XP, the USB drivers are packaged with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The default install will load and configure the drivers for your device. Windows Vista will use it's native BlackBerry USB driver.

The install CD is not required, in fact, the first thing it would do is recommend you upgrade to the current version.

I would start with a fresh v4.6 download. Odds are good that will correct the drivers and let you work with the device.

If that still fails, there are a number of USB troubleshooting steps. BlackBerry has published a paper that covers them in detail.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...00%20183996998

If that still does not connect, the problem could be in your computer. Try it on a different computer or consider adding a third party USB adapter.
    10-21-08 11:01 AM
    Thanks Reed.

I've actually finally got something recognized in the windows device manager under Ports (COM & LPT). Until now, the WDM didn't have 'Ports (COM & LPT)' included. When I expand, 2 things come up:
    RIM virtual serial port v2 (COM 4)
    RIM virtual serial port v2 (COM 5)

Note: there are no exclaimations/whatnot next to either of them, they are as is.

Thing is, when I bring up properties in the blackberry device manager, the connection option displays "COM 3 - Disabled" as soon as I configure and changed the maximum speed, it changes to "COM 3 - Disconnected".

Also, when I run the app loader wizard. It attempts to detect the device through COM 3 to no avail and gives this message: "A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again."

I've tried installing/uninstalling in all sorts of combinations and even a few different versions of both the desktop manager and the handheld software.

Unfortunately, at this point my computer skills become as cloudy as my blackberry knowledge.
    Last edited by badaguy; 10-22-08 at 04:46 PM. Reason: additional info
    10-22-08 04:36 PM
    Could this be something silly, like USB1.0 instead of USB2.0 port, or Windows Permissions?

COM3 is very often the built-in modem - even when a modem is not physically installed. I would expect the USBs to appear at COM5 and higher (mine are 16, 17). The BlackBerry itself detects as a standalone entry "BlackBerry Smartphone" directly below "USB Serial Bus controllers" at the same level as all the USB hub entries. Right clicking for Properties gives me the driver info (note this is a Bold)

Provider Research in Motion
    Date 14/05/2007 (dd/mm/yyyy format here)
    Version 4.0.0.2
    File is RimUSB.sys

Make sure you have Administrator level login.
    Disconnect the BB, and try to redetect the ports and phone.
    10-22-08 06:18 PM
    Thanks for the help Branta. I'm still working on it but took a hiatus for awhile. The problem seems to have more to do with my computer than the BB/software. Once I get it going I'll post the result...Whenever that should come!!
    11-05-08 06:40 PM
    Thanks for the help Branta. I'm still working on it but took a hiatus for awhile. The problem seems to have more to do with my computer than the BB/software. Once I get it going I'll post the result...Whenever that should come!!
    I have a similar problem. When plugged into a USB port, my laptop detects the Bold just fine and it shows up as my D:\ drive. However, the Blackberry Desktop Manager does not show the device as connected. Utterly infuriating.
    11-09-08 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD