how safe is unlocking any phone? like are there any dangers or is it illegal? i dont know anything on unlocking phones so if someone can give me some 411 that would be cool, thnx

ps. - unlocking (meaning you can use it with any carrier)
    11-27-07 01:57 PM
    The concept really of mobilephones how it came about from those analog ones, was the ability to use somebody else's phone when you are out of battery. In Asia, phones are sold by different carriers and they were never locked. It was only when I moved to the US that I was kind of surprised that (1) not everybody owns a mobile phone, (2) mobilephones are locked to a carrier, and (3) people are talking on the phone instead of texting

So to answer your question, it is not illegal and there is no danger in having your phone unlocked. Unless you hit somebody on the head thinking that it could unlock his "locked mentality", you can get sued for that.
    11-27-07 02:13 PM

ps. - unlocking (meaning you can use it with any carrier)
    As long as its on the same band or dual band. A GSM phone wont work on a CDMA network.
    11-27-07 02:19 PM
    Although I have no plans to go to Europe, Asia...or any other exotic location anytime soon...I called AT&T and asked them for the subsidary unlock code for my 8310 simply to add resale value if/when I ever sell the phone...and they very graciously complied to my wishes. It took me a whopping 5-minutes to accomplish the unlock...even though I am a complete moron when it comes to anything even mildly technical.

And, no...unlocking will not hurt your phone at all. It only makes it usable with the SIM card from any other GSM service provider.

And, hey Miguel...great username. Terry_loves_Jesus_too!! Be Blessed, dude!!
    Last edited by davistld01; 11-27-07 at 08:52 PM.
    11-27-07 08:48 PM
    Davis- did you pay full retail when you bought your phone?
    11-27-07 08:53 PM
    all the time man!

and how much did it cost you? do you know if its the same with the iphone?
    11-28-07 12:08 PM
    Davis- did you pay full retail when you bought your phone?
    Nope, finally wrangled an upgrade out of AT&T. The contract extension is no biggie...I'm not going anywhere unless something drastic happens. Got mine for $199 after the $100 rebate. Not bad...

And, no Miquel...it isn't the same with the iPhone.
    11-28-07 01:22 PM
    Although I have no plans to go to Europe, Asia...or any other exotic location anytime soon...I called AT&T and asked them for the subsidary unlock code for my 8310 simply to add resale value if/when I ever sell the phone...and they very graciously complied to my wishes. It took me a whopping 5-minutes to accomplish the unlock...even though I am a complete moron when it comes to anything even mildly technical.

And, no...unlocking will not hurt your phone at all. It only makes it usable with the SIM card from any other GSM service provider.

Are you a customer?
    01-23-08 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD