What is the benefit of unlocking my blackberry? I'm looking at buying another blackberry and it's for another carrier. Does unlocking it mean I can use it for my carrier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-08 05:38 PM
    depends on what carrier you have. unloacking a verizon phone wont work on att. sim card phones only work with other sim card phones that are unlocked
    10-14-08 06:11 PM
    Unlocking only benefits GSM users, T-mobile At&t. Alltel Verizon and Sprint are CDMA networks.
    10-14-08 06:12 PM
    So if I unlock a Verizon phone it will work with alltel?

10-14-08 10:06 PM
    You can't unlock a cdma phone.

10-14-08 10:08 PM
    Okay. Thanks.

10-14-08 10:10 PM
    You can't unlock a cdma phone.

You can, but you to no avail. It can only work if the cdma carrier accepts. Sprint unlocks their cdma phones (after losing a lawsuit), but Verizon/Alltel won't allow it on their networks.
    10-14-08 10:10 PM
    I'm sorry but I'm really new to this. I really want to buy this Verizon phone to use with my alltel service. I should call and ask because with the merger going on it might be possible. Any ideas on that? I just really want a pink pearl!

10-14-08 10:16 PM
    You can, but you to no avail. It can only work if the cdma carrier accepts. Sprint unlocks their cdma phones (after losing a lawsuit), but Verizon/Alltel won't allow it on their networks.
    Yes jayden I'm aware of this. They call it flashing. But since it's hard to do and hard to find some who will do it, I didn't want to get the op's hopes up.
    Here is a link to a site that will do it. I have not nor know anyone who has used them so it's just info not a recommendation.
    Flash Cell phone to Cricket, Metro PCS, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel
    10-14-08 10:21 PM
    I'm sorry but I'm really new to this. I really want to buy this Verizon phone to use with my alltel service. I should call and ask because with the merger going on it might be possible. Any ideas on that? I just really want a pink pearl!

You would be better off having it painted ColorWare - BlackBerry Pearl or Becky mae. Or buy a pink housing. There is also talk the Verizon/Alltel deal may fall through due to the billions in debt Alltel has. And that Verizon has turned it's eye instead to Sprint.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 10-14-08 at 10:33 PM.
    10-14-08 10:29 PM
    I'm not authorized to view the page? Do you think that because of the merger they would allow Verizon phones to be used on alltel service?

10-14-08 10:29 PM
    You would be better of having it painted ColorWare - BlackBerry Pearl or Becky mae. Or buy a pink housing.
    I need a second BB for my dh anyways. He keeps stealing mine. I can't have that! I need to feed my own addiction!!

10-14-08 10:32 PM
    Mail-In Unlock & Reprogram For Standard CDMA Cell Phone

All Standard CDMA Samsung, LG, Motorola, Sanyo, Audiovox, and Kyocera Phones Supported. If you have a different brand or a PDA please call 1-800-891-0625 before mailing in phone. Phone book contacts, scheduler, and other user presets will not be erased. Your current service provider firmware will remain. Calls & text messaging Only - Internet, picture messaging, and other firmware controlled features will not work. Please check with service provider to make sure they will activate your cell phones esn prior to purchase.
    10-14-08 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD