Why does my 8830 show "Unknown Number" on my incoming phone calls when I already have the numbers/names programmed into my Address Book? I'm a newbie and struggling somewhat.
    11-16-08 10:54 AM
    If I remember correctly go to options>advance options>sim card>and put your number where it says phone number. See if that works. I could be wrong but I dont remember too much after last nite.
    11-16-08 11:38 AM
    Is it showing the text "unknown number" but displaying the phone number, so you're expecting the name you entered to be displayed? Or are you receiving a spam call that's not advertising caller ID data?

For the former, perhaps the numbers you have entered are only 7 digits and it's not matching them to the 10-digit number? (this is just a guess.)
    11-16-08 12:01 PM
    It could be an issue with numbers coming from a "switch".

I have "direct dial" numbers stored for some of my contacts, but they work in a large facility that has a switch that all incoming / outgoing calls go through.

When I receive a call from someone at that location, it may not recognize the number because it is technically a different "number" than the one that is stored.
    11-16-08 12:06 PM
    It could be an issue with numbers coming from a "switch".

I have "direct dial" numbers stored for some of my contacts, but they work in a large facility that has a switch that all incoming / outgoing calls go through.

When I receive a call from someone at that location, it may not recognize the number because it is technically a different "number" than the one that is stored.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-16-08 12:17 PM
    The calls are not coming from a switch, They origiinate from single line phones,

11-16-08 12:21 PM
    Is it showing the text "unknown number" but displaying the phone number, so you're expecting the name you entered to be displayed? Or are you receiving a spam call that's not advertising caller ID data?

For the former, perhaps the numbers you have entered are only 7 digits and it's not matching them to the 10-digit number? (this is just a guess.)

No number or name is displayed, The calls come from known contacts. It happens for both 7 and 10 digiit numbers,

11-16-08 12:26 PM
    The calls are not coming from a switch, They origiinate from single line phones,

Sorry dude, that was my best shot.
    11-16-08 12:34 PM
    Open your call log, hit menu key, select options > smart Dialing and then enter your country code and national number length.

Hope that helps
    11-16-08 01:25 PM
    Sweet, had the same problem and this worked for me.
    11-17-08 12:30 AM
    I got my phone two weeks ago and had the same problem. It urned out that my provider did not activate my caller ID function.
    11-18-08 02:06 AM
    chunkeym0nky-

That's exactly what happened. Caller ID now working fine. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

SalineSteve
    11-18-08 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD