I am not too bad with a keyboard. Have been a pretty good computer user for 25 years but on my Pearl (8130) I have to squint, then look at each row and finally find my key, then push it and hope that the letter I am looking for is the first one on the key so I only need one more action instead of two to pick that letter, then on to the next letter. It can take me a few minutes to type a frigging text message, nevertheless a usefull e-mail. Granted I have had this for one week but is this normal or am I just a bit mentally challenged?
    01-12-08 06:58 AM
    No,you have a pearl with a condensed keyboard(suretype)so it would take a little longer typing a txt,what you need is a bb with the full qwerty keyboard,youll be able to type faster,why did you get a pearl?,didny know about their keyboard?,sell your pearl and get a 8800 blackberry.
    01-12-08 07:31 AM
    I had the 7130e with suretype like your Pearl and now have the 8830 with full keyboard. Even though I do not like the keyboard lighting on the 8830, I do prefer the full keyboard. With that said, the suretype isn't bad as long as you understand how it works. You should type the word you want then make sure your desired shows. Do not verify letter by letter because it may not match the word you want until you finish. This is by design. The biggest pain is typing acronyms or other words not in the dictionary where you have to select each letter.

The solution for squinting is called glasses. Also, you should know where the letters are on your keyboard since it is laid out the same as a PC keyboard.

It takes getting used to, but I would say most people can type full speed in a couple of weeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-08 07:41 AM
    buy a curve 8320...doesnt seem like much more phone, but it really is. i had a pearl for over a year til i finally broke it (i got drunk and dropped it, and it got ran over by the d. driver whoops!) now that i have a curve, i cant imagine using a pearl. its all part of my sickness.
    01-12-08 08:14 AM
    i'm love the curve i almost know where all the keys are..
    01-12-08 01:39 PM
    I also started out with the Pearl 8130...for like an hour...I did like the size of it, but that was about it...I returned it back to AT&T that same day...The keys are way too small for an adult...Good luck with that...
    01-13-08 01:23 PM
    i still type like i don't know no better
    01-13-08 04:50 PM
    I would say buy any curve, it has the same features with a full keyboard. I love my 8300, it's the best.
    Good luck...
    01-14-08 08:19 AM
    I love the pearl. Give suretype a chance. Its a great device. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-08 04:02 PM
    That is the main reason why I didnt get a Pearl...I need a regular keyboard...otherwise what's the point?!
    01-14-08 04:06 PM
    Ditch the Pearl and step up to the CURCE with the full QWERTY keyboard. It's awesome.
    01-14-08 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD