Well I finally got a BB and have to say so far I love it. However, I'm trying to install the User Tools software that it came with and for some reason I can't. I thought maybe it was a Vista issue so I tried on my desktop which has XP and have the same result. I put the disc in the drive and it auto-runs to a screen that is solid gray. I let it sit there for a while and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong? Did I get a bum cd? Can I download the software elsewhere?

Thanks.
    08-17-08 12:22 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    User Tools Software <~~~ whats that?

Are you referring to Desktop Manager?
    08-17-08 12:27 AM
    it could be desktop software.

all I know is I got a CD with "BlackBerry User Tools" written on the front..
    08-17-08 12:32 AM
    It's desktop manager and you got a bad CD, i'm on my phone so I can't get the link, but you can get it online readily, it also has the drivers for your pc to recognize your berry.
    Try a search here or i'm sure someone will be along to post a link.
    Welcome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 12:40 AM
    Yes that's the cd that includes desktop manager. I'm not sure but I believe you can go on rim/blackberry site and get the same program that comes on the disc to download to sync your computer and your blackberry.

08-17-08 12:40 AM
    thanks - i'm at the site and there's like 10 different versions.. i'm assuming i need the newest one?

also - it asks for a bunch of info before i can download the program - such as company / job title, but it's a personal phone.. any recommendations as to what i should put?
    08-17-08 12:44 AM
    Who's your provider?

08-17-08 12:58 AM
    at&t

I found the software package that i need (curve 8310, at&t) however now I'm having problems with the downloaded one. after I install it and connect my BB it asks for a connection method and theres a drop down box but there are no options to select. I un-installed and am now reinstalling
    08-17-08 01:23 AM
    ok, uninstalled and reinstalled, for some reason in the "applications loader" it's not recognizing that i have my bb plugged in, it's just showing up as a mass storage device. any ideas?
    08-17-08 01:41 AM
    Clintode:Are you sure you are in Application Loader because as far as
    I know, AL does not care what mode your phone is in and I
    have never seen it report that.
    08-17-08 02:04 AM
    It is possible to have a bad download. You might want to get another copy of desktop manager 4.5 and reinstall it. Happens fairly often. AG's right about the apploader. I also suggest you not use a USB hub if you are using one. Sometimes there is a problem with that connections as well. Here's a link to a BB download site.
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...027FA84709689E

08-17-08 12:37 PM
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager has been updated a few times.

I have installed both v4.3 and v4.5 on my Vista computer.

During the installation, I would suggest using Custom install to select only the Desktop Manager, not Roxio Media Manager.

Once you have DTM running, you should be able to connect with the USB cable.

The first test should be a Backup. Once you are confidant that is working correctly, we can assist with the Operating System install.
    08-17-08 12:46 PM
    ...Here's a link to a BB download site.
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...027FA84709689E

Pretty cool eh? You have got the hang of it.

Unfortunatly, that link does not contain DeskTop Manger, we will need the OS later.

BlackBerry DeskTop Software
    Last edited by Stoner; 08-17-08 at 12:51 PM.
    08-17-08 12:47 PM
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager has been updated a few times.

I have installed both v4.3 and v4.5 on my Vista computer.

During the installation, I would suggest using Custom install to select only the Desktop Manager, not Roxio Media Manager.

Once you have DTM running, you should be able to connect with the USB cable.

The first test should be a Backup. Once you are confidant that is working correctly, we can assist with the Operating System install.

ok, i downloaded the generic desktop manager v 4.5 instead of downloading the at&t one and it seems to work. I backed it up as you said and so now what do I need to do?

thanks.
    08-18-08 10:37 AM
    oh, and as per your recommendation I didn't download the media manager, but now i can't figure out any way to add media to my BB.. in what way do i need to do that?

thanks
    08-18-08 10:44 AM
    The reason I suggested doing the install without Roxio is the time it takes for it to sort through your computer and come up with media files.

It will bog you down for a few hours, that is fine when you can let it run, but not when you are trying to accomplish an update.

The next step is to download a copy of your carries device software. This is another very large file, it will take about 30 min to download.

Make sure you "Save" it first, then you can "Run" to actually install the package.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    Last edited by Stoner; 08-18-08 at 11:23 AM.
    08-18-08 11:21 AM
    Roxio Media Manager can be added in at any time after you have the rest of the software configured.

08-18-08 11:25 AM
    ahh, before i was just downloading this at&t software thinking it was the device-specific software that i needed, but now i see that i need the desktop manager AND the carrier specific software. i feel like a bonehead. ha.

thanks.
    08-18-08 11:41 AM
    It is surprising just how often that happens. RIM does not go out of their way to make their software easily accessible. I suspect they deliberately try to weed out the less computer literate users. If you can not get past them, you should not be messing with your device innards.

The good news is, once you have it correctly configured, you will full control over the inner working of your Curve.

The time will come, soon, when AT&T will approve a new software version. When that happens, you will be in perfect position to install it, and if need be, roll back to your trusted original OS.
    08-18-08 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD