Ok while im sure this is a n00b question it is anoying me somewhat.

Why do my txt message conversations suddenly dissapear ? i had few conversations last night and they just went whats going on, the only ones left are the ones 'welcoming' me to blackberry.

I know its silly but i always keep conversations as sometimes i go back to them say if i have txt someone while abit drunk lol or if someone has sent me a phone number or something?

Please help its the 1 things that buggin me
    09-27-08 02:51 AM
    If available memory becomes low, for the Curve to run stable it will auto delete SMS and Recent Call Logs to run stable. My old Pearl used to do it non stop, now with my 8330 since I have upgraded to 4.5 I no longer have that problem.
    09-27-08 02:58 AM
    so how do i make it not auto delete

as i say i always keep my messages, on my nokia i have over 1000 messages lol

EDIT- i have deleted some messages and emails and the balckberry sample video it now says i have...4862407 free ? sound right ?

i only had about 8 messages last nite and it deleted them
    Last edited by Cardiff25; 09-27-08 at 03:07 AM.
    09-27-08 03:05 AM
    You need at least 12 mil of free file for this not to happen. In the BlackBerry Tips, How To and FAQ forum, search How To Free up Memory(not exact title) but this will get you going on freeing up memory

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 03:29 AM
    so how do i make it not auto delete

as i say i always keep my messages, on my nokia i have over 1000 messages lol

EDIT- i have deleted some messages and emails and the balckberry sample video it now says i have...4862407 free ? sound right ?

i only had about 8 messages last nite and it deleted them
    Your free memory must have been critically low before you removed the video. 4.8 megabytes is still way too low for comfort.

Start here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    09-27-08 03:32 AM
    but i only have 4862407 :-o

how do i get rid of app's like google talk and yahoo messenger ?

EDIT: so is my mem still bad then ? i only got the bloody thing y'day and haven't put anything onit lol
    09-27-08 03:33 AM
    What OS are you running? Find out if there is an update you can do a fresh install with and than restore your address book, etc. than check threads for freeing up mem
    09-27-08 03:45 AM
    You also have to remember to close all your programs when you are done otherwise your BB will use memory keeping those programs open and ready

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-08 04:13 AM
    What OS are you running? Find out if there is an update you can do a fresh install with and than restore your address book, etc. than check threads for freeing up mem
    I think your sequence is reversed. The OP seems to be a relative new user so installing the OS is quite a dramatic first step - in fact more a blind leap into potentially deep water. My vote goes to cleaning up what is already there first, it should be less risky and will improve confidence and stability ahead of the upgrade if still needed.

Besides, the OP is reporting Curve and I'm pretty sure the new OS is still in beta, so not really something for learners.
    09-27-08 05:28 AM
    You need approx 12,000,000 files free for your BB to function properly. If it drops lower than that it starts deleting logs, including message logs. You need to free up some memory.
    09-27-08 08:23 AM
    OK this is all very confusing lol i have tried to free up space but by all acounts im still way 2 low.

How do i check what is running in the background ?
    09-27-08 11:14 AM
    Switch Applications will show you what is currently active. Most Menu show it at the bottom or you can use Alt + Esc (right of the trackball).

Unfortunatly, in order to insure you have a great out of the box experience, all new BlackBerrys come with preinstalled media. That is the problem and the solution. Remove the memory wasting samples, do a little fine tuning an you will be up to 20+ Mb of free memory.

The link Branta posted will help you through the process. I strongly advise using the "Better" procedure with CrackMem.

Do you have a media card installed? That is the single largest memory gain and the simplest to achieve.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-27-08 at 11:29 AM.
    09-27-08 11:25 AM
    I have a 1gig card lol so thats ok.

I deleted blackberry messenger and now have 22,000,000 which is good ? yeah ?

Also there are little apps like yahoo and google talk i wont use how do i delete these ?

EDIT: i did the alt + escape thing and i have about 6 items running in the background how do i stop these running ?

Cheers for all this guys one of the most friendly forums i have used!!!
    Last edited by Cardiff25; 09-27-08 at 03:51 PM.
    09-27-08 03:48 PM
    On behalf of all the fine folks here, thank you for your kind words. Leaning and helping each other is what draws us together.

A 1 Gb is plenty unless you have a huge music and video collection.

There are two different types of applications. The ones installed on your device are simple to delete, but the ones provided with your service books can not be deleted. That is no problem, they are just links to your carrier support site and take up no real space.

Create a new folder, move them into the folder, then hide the folder. Gone!

22 Mb is enough to insure you have a smooth running device.

The core applications, Call Log, Home, Messages and BlackBerry Messenger are always running. That is no problem, BlackBerry is designed to be multi-tasking.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-27-08 at 04:45 PM.
    09-27-08 04:41 PM
    It gives you the option to have texts auto delete or not - you just have to go into OPTIONS then GENERAL OPTIONS keeep SMS TEXT messages set at FOREVER, or 30 days, etc....
    09-27-08 04:52 PM
    yeah i done that now lol

Was it a good idea to delete blackberry messenger ?
    09-27-08 05:04 PM
    It does same some memory, but you are not able to use Pin to Pin messaging with your BlackBerry friends.

It is a very nice chat application.

If you don't have any BlackBerry friends yet, check out the Social and Pin sharing topic. Plenty of specific interest groups are represented there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-27-08 at 05:14 PM.
    09-27-08 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD