Hey what exactly is an RSS reader? I saw it on an app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 06:10 AM
    RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is basically webfeeds from particular sites. CB has an RSS feed that can be subscribed to, and captured/read with an RSS reader.

An RSS reader is simple a program that can display these feeds.
    05-02-09 06:24 AM
    Thank you what can I do with these webfeeds?

05-02-09 06:43 AM
    Think of it kind of like reading he newspaper, and skimming the headlines only reading
    the full article if the headline interests you. In the case of CB, you would have a bunch of headlines for the blog posts, and you would skip over the ones that don't interest you and read the ones that do by requesting the full article from the reader.

05-02-09 07:00 AM
    Gotcha thanx for clearin that up.

05-02-09 07:12 AM
    Thank you what can I do with these webfeeds?

Pyscho, Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    RSS readers give you the benefit of of staying on top of blogs, articles, threads...etc etc. You can out a reader of your phone or computer.
    Anytime you go to a website and you see these symbols in the address bar (don't necessary have to be this color) you'll know that it's a feed you can subscribe to it your reader of choice.
    05-02-09 07:44 AM
    You can read them.

Actually, RSS "Reader" is a misleading term. It doesn't read the info, it collects the info so you can read it, but on the technical end, it DOES read the info. It is actually an aggregate. That meaning that it collects for viewing many chosen topics by the viewer (you) for immediate or delayed viewing. As was said earlier, it's like a newspaper, but more precisely, it can collect headlines from many sources that you choose based upon your preferences and display them in one place. So what you end up with is a collection of what you want from many newspapers.

At the current time, Viigo (NOT Vlingo) is really the best aggregate available as a free download. Get it at viigo dot com.

I hope this helps.
    Kelly, you're right; Viigo is popular and I tried my best to like it but it would always drain my battery so fast that I figured it wasnt worth the effort.
    05-02-09 08:01 AM
    I've been using it for over a year an dhave had no problems at all.

There are two settings that may have caused the drain. Make sure "Move to backgrond on close" is set to No, and "Save all on exit" is set to No. Then it only runs when you are actually using it.
    Thank you, i've been beta testing for them over a year, have a Pearl and it doesn't faze my device. That is how Viigo should be set up IMO, my memory is heavliy optimized so I leave it running...
    05-02-09 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD